New Superb...

MilanM

In my opinion, Mk1 2.5TDI V6 manual gearbox wins over a diesel Mk2 in refinement, and certainly over Mk2 in comfort for tall drivers (Mk2 console "bites" in the leg).

However, My Mk1 is 9 years old and 132k+ miles, and I doubt I'd want to keep it past 15y.o. so at some point a replacement must be considered.

Mk2 hatchback looks were not great, Mk3 to me looks as good as Mk1, and at least in the European range there is a sensible 190bhp 6-spd manual diesel option. Plus the "normal" hatchback tailgate does wonders to loading/unloading effort, I prefer it to both sedan (Mk1) and estate (Mk2, Mk3) options.

Whether I will get the Mk3 will largely depend on pricing and spec. If the basic trim (55-60 profile tyres, heated seats, cloth or velour, either aux heater or heated windscreen, cruise control) is available with 190bhp diesel and 6spd manual gearbox for a 20k - 25k new, I might be tempted at some point over the next 6 years. As a motorway/autobahn mile muncher, it'll be hard to beat on value for money. But something tells me that SUK will again set an insane RRP on this model, let's hope I am proven wrong.

• Like 1

Can’t see you getting a (new) decent spec car for £25K TBH

By the looks of it the rear seat squabs STILL do not fold up, meaning the seat backs cannot fold flat, this for me would be a deal breaker on the hatch which is a pity as I like the look of it.

My MKII seats were also more comfortable for me (i’m only 5’8” tall)

It is a shame with the seats a missed opportunity really "Simply NOT clever" mind you I unclip mine on the rare occasion I need the extra space , the heater seat cables are just long enough to allow the squab to be moved out of the way.

I find the seats very comfy as well and I'm 6ft 1" , the room inside the MK2 makes it a much nicer place to be as well imo

• Like 1

Also for me big disapotment is they didnt bring something new, like neon strips in interior*(from Audi A8) and bigger wheels. Today 16'' are just small....all in all, they didnt bring some x factor(like on Mk1-big space "cheap" car.

I hope so you understand me, why Im disapointed.

16in is the minimum wheel size, there are 10 designs, up to 19in.

Re: the neon strips, do you mean the background lighting? (from 25:00 in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZlRtm5rTvI#t=1271

Edited by RapidRonnie
  • Like 1

I'm 6ft5in, 38" legs, and the only cars that let me drive comfortably in the Skoda range are Mk1 Superb (very good), Octavia Mk2 (best) and Octavia Mk3 and the Rapid (both adequate).  Roomster, Fabia 1/2, Superb Mk2 and Yeti are OK-ish but not great. Will have to try Mk3 Superb in the flesh to see if it is any better/worse. Console and door card shape have at least as much to do with this as the legroom or seat shape.

Anyway, I still hope the pricing in the long run  (facelift Mk3?) will come down to earth, otherwise I'll have to consider Ford/Mazda/Korean cars once my Mk1 Superb is gone. The trend for stuffing the cars with redundant electronic gizmos might be great for people whose cars are extension of their social status (among other things), but I have always been predominantly looking for comfort, value for money and reliability on a 2000mile+ round trip at any time of the year, that might also involve autobahn.  A decent engine, long wheelbase, full size spare, spacious boot with hatch and just enough gadgetry for the car to be useable in most weather and driving conditions. ABS/ESP, heated seats and windscreen (or aux heater), basic cruise control (adaptive CC's stalk is an anti-tall-driver item again), headlamps switchable to flat beam (or RHD-LHD), parking sensors and a basic sound system just about complete the mandatory equipment list, the rest is just for show, as are the 19" rims with skinny tyres. Just my own view, but then I pay for the cars with my own money. 

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 2

You can say Im crazy but Im drove new Mazda 6 with 19" rims and it was better than on 17"..:o

I dont know about rest, but think we are also mature people and pay  cars with owers money.

Im glad it has background lightening...and I like that small gizmos, because that kinds of things seems car no to be boorings :)

So all in all, if ever comes moment that I need change my car Im sure  I would consider all options but....for me best scenario is to buy new one(like Mazda 6 or similar-maybe Mk3, I want to see in live and test her) and keep Mk1...<3

I usually buy with my own money but if you can borrow it for 2.8% and make 5% when invested it's better to borrow .

I think that starting with MKIII, for both Octavia and Superb, the "affordable" or "good value for the money" adjectives were lost by Skoda. I know for sure that Octavia raised the price range and based on at least 2 sources it seems that Superb is doing the same (starting from 25000 Euro or GBP depending on the market-you'll get hatchback engine for that).

I totally agree with DV6 on the gizmos, this is the trend nowadays unfortunately, to get besides the useful stuff on the car a lot of bloatware prone to failure on long term.

Regarding the leg room (both front and back) to me it seemed that MKII was a downgrade compared to MkI, I hope that they changed this in MKIII.

I am also looking to change my MkI, but at the moment I don't see any decent replacement in terms of value for the money and decent specs...

Trimis de pe al meu D5503 folosind Tapatalk

• Like 1