Octavia VRS MK2 - Many questions......

HI to all. Just bought myself my first Skoda, a Octavia VRS MK2 Race Blue. This is also my first turbo car.

I have many many questions, some maybe good question, some maybe stupid but not because I'm messing!

*And I do apologies if these have been asked before but Im hoping to create a little list here that may help others in the future. It would be helpful if this site had more sub sections for each car.

And so:

1. As this car has a turbo do I need to let the car cool down before pulling the key?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. My car doesnt seem to display mph on the multi function display? Do I not have this feature or am I missing something?

My display is white leds on blackk background. Currently it shows:

Time

Trip

My multi-function indicator goes through these options:

• Outside temp
  • Driving time
  • Current fuel consumption
  • Average fuel consumption
  • Range
  • Distance travelles
  • Current speed?
  • Oil temp?
  • Warning against excessive speed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. I have the Kenwood DNX520VBT installed LINK can I modify the look and skins? Mainly looking to improve the look of the music player.

Also considering updating the sat nav with real time traffic at a cost of £30 and as fas as I understand will only update through FM? Can anyone recommend or dissuade?

Edited by JimmyUK

1. Yes, ideally leave it a minute or so if you've been thrashing the car before turning it off, or alternatively take it easy the last few minutes of driving so as not to spool up the turbo and allow it to cool.

2. See the following thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/229766-vcds-adaptations-how-do-i/

For the MPH display, I think this is for Maxidot only, and I'm not sure that Jimmy has that (the cycle looks the same as mine, which is not maxidot).

Jimmy, to prove if you have or not, open a door on your car. If you see a picture of the car in white on the display with a door open then you have maxidot, if you only get a red icon lit in the back area of the speedo to show that a door is open then it non-maxidot (not sure what it's official title is!).

3) Suggest you find a Kenwood owners manual (possibly softcopy online) unless someone else has one and has investigated this.

Edited by nickgpfc

Thanks for the replies. I can confirm I dont have a Maxidot display but do want the MPH read out so I guess I need to meet up with someone with a VCDS or alternatively will Skoda change the regional settings?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

4. I'm going to paint a grill to match the body colour, what colour primer do I need to use for a race blue car? Grey or white primer?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Got some official car mats but not clear how they marry up with floor studs (see pics)? Do I have to cut the centre rubber out so studs push through and hopefully lock or are these the wrong mats?

IMG_5491_zpsphu9qlon.jpg

IMG_5493_zpsofa9f6nk.jpg

Edited by JimmyUK

hang u mean how they fasten down?

the little studs just push into the holes no cutting needed :)

They dont clip together though. I push the mat down onto the stud but the mat just squeezes off, so in effect the mat is just laying on stud?

Edited by JimmyUK

Q1:  You don't need to idle down but it's advisable to drive conservatively for the last few minutes of your journey.  If the engine exceeds temperature "x" the fans will continue to run after turning off the engines & oil will be pumped through the turbo bearings

Q2: You don't say what year your car is.  If it's pre-fl then you can't get a speed or oil temp display.

Q1:  You don't need to idle down but it's advisable to drive conservatively for the last few minutes of your journey.  If the engine exceeds temperature "x" the fans will continue to run after turning off the engines & oil will be pumped through the turbo bearings

Q2: You don't say what year your car is.  If it's pre-fl then you can't get a speed or oil temp display.

My car is 12 plate 2012, not Maxidot.

Ive got the smilley grill and rounded lights so I assume this is face lift?

Edited by JimmyUK

The stud in the floor for the May should just unscrew. Reposition it and the mat recess should sit over it and the mat not move.

From what I remember of the Kenwood there isn't much customisation, you can set your own startup image and there's a couple of themes to choose from but that's it.  There's no full screen artwork mode that I was aware, the screen you've shown is where video or the rear camera display would be.

John

Thanks again for the replies.

Question

7: What rev range does the turbo kick in? Whats the best gear to be in to give it some quick overtaking welly? (not used to having to change up so quickly compared with me old 1.6)

@brad1.8T

"Q1: You don't need to idle down but it's

advisable to drive conservatively for the last

few minutes of your journey. If the engine

exceeds temperature "x" the fans will

continue to run after turning off the engines

& oil will be pumped through the turbo

bearings."

Oil will be pumped through the turbo bearings?!

So there's an auxiliary electrically driven oil pump for the turbo oil circuit?

You usually sound like you know what you're talking about but that statement sounds just too high tech and fantasy.

I am of course willing to listen to fact.

Although all turbos benefit from a cool down phase before engine off, it isn't so much for the spinning internals.

Although they spin at very high rpm they are always compressing which takes energy and since they are lightweight and have little inertia they will spool down almost immediately.

The problem is usually heat related, although the turbo can operate at peak engine temperatures, there is always the air flow cooling the housing and oil flow which also wicks away heat, when you switch off a raced turbo the latent heat can damage oil seals etc as the temperature of the unit can exceed design limits without these cooling effects from a running engine.

Thanks again for the replies.

Question

7: What rev range does the turbo kick in? Whats the best gear to be in to give it some quick overtaking welly? (not used to having to change up so quickly compared with me old 1.6)

Turbo starts to spool around 1800rpm on a stock engine.  You'll notice it with the bum-dyno at around 2200rpm and it will pull nicely to around 4800rpm and taper off.  With a remap it comes on a little earlier and remove the artificial 280Nm torque plateau between 2000-5000rpm

The #1 catcon on the turbo outlet is very restrictive.  If you knock out the catcon matrix or replace the DP the turbo spins up about 200-300rpm earlier.

What gear you choose to overtake with depends what speed you are doing.  I find 3rd & 4th pretty handy if I'm in a hurry - otherwise I just leave it in 6th and let the torque do the job.

@brad1.8T

"Q1: You don't need to idle down but it's

advisable to drive conservatively for the last

few minutes of your journey. If the engine

exceeds temperature "x" the fans will

continue to run after turning off the engines

& oil will be pumped through the turbo

bearings."

Oil will be pumped through the turbo bearings?!

So there's an auxiliary electrically driven oil pump for the turbo oil circuit?

You usually sound like you know what you're talking about but that statement sounds just too high tech and fantasy.

I am of course willing to listen to fact.

Although all turbos benefit from a cool down phase before engine off, it isn't so much for the spinning internals.

Although they spin at very high rpm they are always compressing which takes energy and since they are lightweight and have little inertia they will spool down almost immediately.

The problem is usually heat related, although the turbo can operate at peak engine temperatures, there is always the air flow cooling the housing and oil flow which also wicks away heat, when you switch off a raced turbo the latent heat can damage oil seals etc as the temperature of the unit can exceed design limits without these cooling effects from a running engine.

Sorry, I got it wrong.  It's an auxillary water pump (V51) that continues pumping water through the turbo housing after the engine is turned off.

files.engineering.com/...9c9d-e2ed7ac676a3...TSI_Turbo_SSP_824803.pdf 

I'll stick by what i said though, if you drive conservatively for the last few minutes of your journey there's no need to idle-down the turbo.  These cars are mass produced shopping trolleys designed for use by the lowest common denominator.  90% of the users probably don't even know they have a turbo fitted.

If the above link doesn't work then search "2.0tsi self study".  It's not a bad read.

5. Got some official car mats but not clear how they marry up with floor studs (see pics)? Do I have to cut the centre rubber out so studs push through and hopefully lock or are these the wrong mats?

IMG_5491_zpsphu9qlon.jpg

From the very edge of that logo I would say that you could have purchased MK1 Octavia mats and not MK2 ones? Hence the floor studs maybe in the wrong place!?

Edited by littleredduck

From the very edge of that logo I would say that you could have purchased MK1 Octavia mats and not MK2 ones? Hence the floor studs maybe in the wrong place!?

Sorted the mat issue, the hole needed to opened up on the fitting area so I tore off the extra rubber which was obvioulsy just there from the moulding stage. The floor studs lock in now - no issue.

So they fit perfectly but shame about the logo as its the old one, dont think they do a newer one?

Edited by JimmyUK
  • Like 1

*Question 2 update:

So now I can see that while my car is not maxidot it does show the speed in km/h in the bootom right when setting off but theres no way I can change it to mph myself. I feel like Ive tryed every button combination possible?

IMG_5651_zpswe7hlu4j.jpgIMG_0582_zpsewnqbta5.png

Edited by JimmyUK