DSG shudder

Del B

Hi all

I'd not driven the wife's Yeti (1.2 tsi DSG) for a few weeks but took it out for a spin around town today and noticed a slight shudder every time I pulled away from a stopped position.  My wife hadn't noticed it but there is definitely a vibration that never used to be there.  It was more pronounced when I did a hill start.  I'll book it in to the local dealer for a check but any suggestions in the meantime would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Del

PS It had the dsg mineral oil change about 6 months ago

Yes, same problem when I had 1.2 dsg Yeti. Mine was on 11 plate. It went in for the change to mineral oil in the hope this would remedy the problem. No luck, just as bad when I got it back. Went back in to Skoda Bradford (who were brilliant by the way) and was told the gear box would have to come out to be checked. Result was new clutch plates under warranty. Was fine after that.

Yes, same problem when I had 1.2 dsg Yeti. Mine was on 11 plate. It went in for the change to mineral oil in the hope this would remedy the problem. No luck, just as bad when I got it back. Went back in to Skoda Bradford (who were brilliant by the way) and was told the gear box would have to come out to be checked. Result was new clutch plates under warranty. Was fine after that.

Thanks Dave. I took the Yeti out again today and it was mysteriously OK from cold but the shudder reappeared when restarted from warm. It certainly feels like clutch judder.  I'm due to speak to the dealer on Monday and will report back once I know what it is.  I notice from the various forums that there was a spate of similar problems reported with the early 7 speed DSG gearboxes around 2012 but perhaps later models benefited from design improvements. Mine is a 2010 model.

The fault with mine was also intermittent. In the end I left the car with my Skoda dealer and the service manager took my car for a drive for a few miles. They confirmed the fault. You are correct with the identified faults on the earlier yeti 1.2 dsg. It is possible that you have a similar fault. If that is the case I think you have a good argument for Skoda UK to cover repairs especially if you have had the car from new or nearly new and it has been serviced appropriately.

Surprised there's so much faffing in this thread and Ryeman rattling on about oil here, there and everywhere in a somewhat vague manner.  I thought it was well established that judder was something that happened to DSG's and that Skoda was perfectly well aware of what to do.

Yes, I had the mineral oil change under warranty and yes, I had a new clutch pack under warranty and yes it fixed the judder and no, it hasn't returned since.  I've seen this discussed loads of times and loads of people reporting exactly the same thing.  The oil change was a separate thing entirely from the new clutch pack.  Admittedly the car went in a couple of times due to the judder.  Once they re-set the electronic jiggery pokery  associated with the transmission but ultimately Skoda must have issued a note to dealers as more latterly they just noted my complaint of the continuing judder and booked it in and fitted the new clutch pack.

But in the light of the aforegoing I now have a warranty on the car (it's past the 3 yr warranty)...which has also been discussed to the n'th degree.

So there was no oil getting on the clutch?.

Sorry to upset so many.

You're maybe not too wide of the mark - a post from a Skoda site in Russia states the following:

"Probably over time, many different ways, the primary shaft seals begin to "podtravlivat" a little oil out of the box, and it is mixed with the dirt trapped in the engine compartment, in the first place (because of the construction of the box) gets "between the plate clutch disc and K2 the pressure plate when you turn off / turn on the clutch (TPI 2028367), and begins to cause" short-term irregular transfer of effort ... ", ie what we call "vibration on the second." IMHO, perhaps VAG knowing about it, but not being able to (production capacity at the time) to replace all the boxes because even described in TPI 2020468 "A3 with manual DSG (0AM ): oil leak in the clutch"

My shudder disappeared but came back again yesterday so will book in to see what local dealer says.  After reading other similar posts regarding dsg design faults and Skoda approved warranty claim rejections, my expectations are not high. Let's see

Hi Del

DSG problems seem from reports to be more related to the 'dry' 7 speed.

Keeping it absolutely dry (of oil) is essential and it usually comes back to the life of seals.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Stan, are you a grumpy git in the flesh, as well as on the forum. Lighten up mate, people come here for advice, not to be slagged off!

Pot, kettle, black!

• Like 2

Mine has been in for a week with the judder problem, and a harsh change into 3rd gear. I've just had a phone call to say it's ready to pick up and "We've replced the inside of the gearbox".

Warranty runs out on Friday.

Oh not another one. Pretty much daily threads popping up of judder on the 7 speed DSG.

It's usually a faulty clutch pack.

You also need to make sure you have the "recall" work done to change the gear oil and update the DSG software.

Phil

Has anyone had a 2nd clutch pack? AFAIK it's just thicker plates to make them last longer - enough to get it past the warranty?

That's pretty shocking. But not surprising.

You would have thought the DSG software would be really good at controlling the clutch and preventing wear.

• 4 years later...

Apologies for opening the thread again, but there's a slight judder / tramping sensation when setting off in my 2011 1.2 Tsi so ...

- If I get a new decent (LUK) clutch pack to fit my car, is the existing flywheel normally ok to re-use?

- I've not had any gear change issues so I hope the mechatronics will be ok still. I've seen some refurb kits on line - anyone used one?

Thanks.

Edited by Prezafab

I had juddering in first gear on my previous Fabia 1.2 TSI DSG, 65 plate.  Car was under a year old when it started.  Dealer initially said 'they all do that' but I persisted.  The aftersales manager came out on a run with me and agreed there was a problem.  The clutch pack was replaced under warranty which fixed the problem.  Have now gone back to a manual Octavia.

• 4 months later...

I had the same on m 2011 Superb wagon 118 tsi.

Bought a replacement Positive Crankcase Ventilation filter unit from AliExpress for under $50, fit it in 15min, and the problem almost went entirely away.

I did so because I had read that the membrane in the PCV's is prone to tearing after a few years, and it would explain my heavy oil use.

Bonus benefit and easy fix, as it shifts really crisp now for a 9 year old DSG.