Auto express,Elan valley

Sad555

Looking at the review in the auto express of three diesel hatch backs with a back drop of the Elan valley ,just wondered if any members might know which particular location/road no this location is located?

Don't buy the paper but there are only 3 roads it could be:

From Rhayader and around the lakes

From Rhayader and directly towards Cwm Ystwyth, ignoring the Lakes

The Claerwen road that goes off the first.

If you have a link to the photos I could probably tell you exactly, as it is only just down the road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Elan+Valley+Visitor+Centre/@52.2719211,-3.5783498,12z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x486fc03dfd175c59:0xb2c2c3b59c086f85?hl=en

• Like 1

Thanks for that,the photo is set in a valley looking down on long winding roads with no lakes in sight ,came thru Rhayader last year but don't recognise this view,

My Yeti's first taste of snow (well, sleet) was on that hairpin bend - it just started pelting down after coming back from the Elan valley road. Fantastic driving round there, and I'm looking forward to driving near there in May - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/340141-mid-wales-driving-day-out/

We've had a couple of Yeti Adventures near there, when we got nice and dirty!!

Yup I had had a Yeti adventure on my own out there since Graham was away the whole WEEK I was in the area.  Sigh.

Just seen a preview of the new filth gear with Vicky scutler Henderson doing a test drive in a new Alfa and it looks like the same spot in the Elan valley .can anybody confirm?

No problem.

Top Gear went through a stage of using the "main" road approaching where the opening ones were taken, and then further on to the top of the pass down to Cwm Ystwyth for a while. It is useful as it isn't that much used out of season and spotters with radios can "arrange" when it is clear so filming can be done without interruption.

LR use the road from Llanidloes, to Staylittle, then Dylife and finally Machynlleth some times, and have used a nice track down to a couple of lakes as well, I presume with the permission of the landowner. Part of that can be driven legally.

The old bridge where the original photos were taken has just been replaced. It was deemed too weak to use years ago and a Bailey Bridge was put up next to it, but that had started to fall apart so they have rebuilt the old bridge.

The Pont Elan Bailey Bridge has gone, I'm afraid. They have rebuilt the old stone bridge.

The Bailey Bridge is still down at the other end of the valley, by the disused suspension bridge at The Elan Centre

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Elan+Valley+Visitor+Centre/@52.271169,-3.569262,3a,90y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sobsfcAgYrqTbrTm0or73qw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x486fc03dfd175c59:0xb2c2c3b59c086f85?hl=en

Not heard if there are any plans for that one yet, although there has been talk about restoring the suspension bridge.

• Like 1

Was that with the tin snail on the back?

Fred

Haha...  that was from before I had the tin snail. I was staying in the campsite in Llanidloes just before the floods. And my tent got blown over just as I was packing up and my watch and camera is still in the nettles on that campsite somewhere to this day. Sigh.

• Like 2