"AUTO" Wipers

Just a bit of a silly question, not sure if it is to do with the rain/light sensor which it is having changed next Friday anyway because the "auto" lights seem to have a mind of there own, i.e on in bright sun, coming home lights not working in the dark.... but

When it is raining and the wipers are on, do your headlamps come on after a short time then go off a few minutes after the wipers are turned off? 

AND, does this work in both the intermittent and always on positions? 

Mine seem to come on when I put the wipers on position 2, i.e on all the time, but go off when in intermittent... 

It may all be to do with the sensor, as in addition to the lights being hit and miss the variable wipers seem to only work on the far left position :) 

Stuart

Could be working as they should, taken from the handbook :) on intermittent they are not on for 15s 

Automatic driving light control during rain
The daytime running lights are switched on automatically if the following conditions
are met:
The light switch is in the position » Fig. 50.
Automatic wiping with rain - position 1 or wiping - position 2 or 3 is
turned on » page 76, Windscreen wipers and washers.
The windscreen wipers are on for more than 15 s.
The light turns off about 4 minutes after turning off the wipers.

When on auto (there is no intermittent) if they are actually wiping for more than about 20 or 30 seconds the lights come on. If they are only wiping every so often then the lights should stay off.

That's what mine do anyway.

***EDIT***

You seem to have found the answer anyway. :)

• Like 1

Sounds about right, it also seems to depend on speed, the higher the speed the longer the lights stay on, but I guess it's a combination of rain intensity, sunlight, speed etc. It will be interesting to see if the replacement rain/light sensor makes any difference, yours currently sounds the same as the way mine works, i.e. not perfect, but probably never will be without our human brain being plugged in to it to allow for all eventualities.

Mine went in for a service Friday and I mentioned the Columbus had turned itself off while I was driving along, although only the once, and it took a while for it to come back on again. They checked the software version and found a newer version was available so they loaded it. Mine is a 2013 FL model and I think yours is 2014 but ask them while it's in the garage.

In bright, low sunlight, they can be extremely useful to spot oncoming traffic. Part of the reason mine are always on.

Exactly. Your more likely to be spotted.

I'd imagine the conversation by that driver to be "look at that knob with his lights on in sunshine", but his attention was drawn to notice you - which is the aim to avoid an accident.

Most bus companies run their lights on at all times, and I run the works car on all the time as well. I'm sure it's helped prevent a number of dozy people pulling out into me numerous times

• Like 1

Problem with mine is I can unlock the car in the dark and no lights come on, lock the car and unlock again and they will... I can get it out the garage and they will stay on in normal daylight as well as sun.. 

The variable wipers seem to have one setting, far left or they stay on all the time... i.e no variable... 

Will see if the sensor cures that on Friday :)

In bright, low sunlight, they can be extremely useful to spot oncoming traffic. Part of the reason mine are always on.

Easiest and safest solution. I don't buy the argument that lights are dazzling during the day (well no more than at night) and if they do attract somebody's attention it is for the right reason more often that not. The DRLs on the new model look sufficiently bright as a proper substitute for dipped lights and hopeful they will allow the rear cluster to remain on as well during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There isnt anything on the glass  covering the sensor such as a beading product/coating is there? If so, clear it off with a cloth and some vinegar

I think they pretty much confirmed an issue with the sensor at the dealers a couple of weeks ago... They took the car in the workshop, lights on as they should be, used a "high powered" light directly on the sensor and the headlamps stayed on.... 

Will see if is cures both my issues which sound to be sensor related :)

• Like 1

Well, it is in today for the sensor to be changed.... lets hope that solves my lights on issue... 

After 2 weeks being OK I thought the new telephone and reset of the bluetooth had fixed that issue... but it disconnected this morning on the way there... so they are changing the module as well.

Let's hope so.

My headlights sometimes play silly - drove through a tunnel the other day, lights on then off as normal, drove on to motorway and went over the 140 km/h but they didn't come on?

I've also found out that the cornering fogs don't work in the daytime i.e. if my headlights are on they don't function, but do at night?

Will keep you informed, mine stayed on this morning on the way to the dealers, lovely bright morning, stayed on ... On the odd occasion the coming home/leaving home lights do not work, lock/unlock again and they do... Plus the intermittent wipers seem to not be variable... either set to slowest or always on, nothing in between... So hope it is the sensor.

I am glad the phone played up today on the way there, hope they can sort that too.

I have good news and bad news.... 

The good news is the rain/light sensor has now been changed and the lights now appear to work again.. When I took it in this morning the lights stayed on in daylight all the way to the garage... I have just been to fill up with fuel on my way home, lights came on under the garage canopy as they always have done, but the second I went in the light they went off... then came on when I drove in my garage... so that part seems to be good... Will try the wipers when it rains and update you... 

Now the bad news... which has sort of p***** me off a bit... well a lot..... 

The issue with the bluetooth random disconnects /reconnects is even worse now!!

Skoda told the dealer that they could not change the module until they has done a software update on the Columbus... Which the have done.. I drove about a mile and it disconnected!!!! biggest issue now is it would not reconnect! I had to go into my phone settings and click the connection to get the phone to connect... 

So I went back... they did not have the module as first thought because I emailed to say it had been OK for two weeks because I suspected that the "restore to defaults" and new phone had worked... 

They have now ordered the module to be fitted on the 20th March.. 

It then did it again on the way home, disconnected from "Premium" I had to connect myself, but it then only connects in basic bluetooth not "Premium" 

I have expressed a concern to the dealer that now they have updated the Columbus the module will not cure the issue... after all it did disconnect and reconnect to "Premium" without issues, but now it won't. I have stated I will not accept it like this as it worked faultless for 6 months.

I suspect that when they change the module it will now still disconnect and not reconnect... the update of the Columbus has made the issue worse...

Do you agree ?

Are the two linked, the Columbus and the module?

Does the Columbus update change the bluetooth software on the module, I suspect not?

What are your opinions? 

I think I now have a bigger issue from updating the Columbus that I had before.. 

When I drove home after work yesterday at 4:30pm it was a really nice sunny day, I turned out of the car park heading straight towards the sun which was getting low at that time of day and the lights activated. That seems to be the way they work, it doesn't bother me and I'd rather they came on than not come on.

Google "Melexis rain sensor", the third one down, a PDF download, it mentions the issues the sun can have on these rain/light sensors. Whether this is in any way related I don't know but it's interesting reading anyway. 

My auto wipers seem to work fine, but I have turned off my coming/leaving home lights as it's not dark where I live.

My Columbus was updated last Friday and everything seems to work as it should. As far as I know the Columbus and Bluetooth modules are separate but I don't know this for sure. I think the Bluetooth module is under the drivers seat under a plastic cover. Do you have another phone you could try to see if it's a car or phone problem. I have a Blackberry and it works fine in Premium mode.

I have my old Samsung Galaxy S3 which the issue started with, I borrowed a Galaxy Note from work which did the same, then I had my brand new Note 4,  2 weeks ago which worked perfect for two weeks but disconnected this morning... 

My concern is that whatever they did, which in this case they updated the Columbus software has cause a major issue now not related to my original issue... I just can't see how changing the module will cure it... I may be wrong.

I have my old Samsung Galaxy S3 which the issue started with, I borrowed a Galaxy Note from work which did the same, then I had my brand new Note 4,  2 weeks ago which worked perfect for two weeks but disconnected this morning... 

My concern is that whatever they did, which in this case they updated the Columbus software has cause a major issue now not related to my original issue... I just can't see how changing the module will cure it... I may be wrong.

I agree, and feel another make/type of phone may be the next test to see if it works without issue or not.

I am sure the phone is not at fault, the Galaxy S3 worked 100% faultless for 6 months connected to "Premium"... only the last 6 weeks or so did it start to random disconnect/reconnect, always reconnecting to "Premium"... The Galaxy Note 4 woked OK for 2 weeks, but "played up" on my way to the dealer today.... 

When it disconnected it did reconnect but only to basic blue tooth... 

Since they updated the Columbus it is worse, connects to "premium" disconnects, refuses to reconnect then when I go to settings it connects as basic again... 

I think there must be some relation between the two, the Columbus and the module, after all the Columbus does display the phone, but I can't get my head around why it make my original issue worse... IF the phone connects to the module which I suspect it does, then why would a software update to the Columbus make the issue worse? 

I may be worrying over nothing and I may have had the same issue if they had not done the upgrade, and the new module will cure my issue... 

Would the Columbus control the bluetooth module and connection? 

It'll be the Bluetooth module. Should be under the drivers seat.

Try unplugging it over night.

Do you think that the Software update on the Columbus has actually had no effect on the original issue?

The module may have just "given up" by coincidence and made things worse than they were?  I suppose it could happen... Lol Thinking about it, when it has disconnected in the past it has always reconnected in a few seconds, and ALWAY back to Premium, yesterday on the way to the dealer it disconnected, took about a minute or so to reconnect then connected as basic bluetooth... 

They are changing the module on the 20th March, it has now been ordered.. 

Does the Columbus control the bluetooth module or just "talk to it" ? or effect it in any way or are they independent systems.. After all it is the MAXI-DOT that you have to use to "pair" the phone, not the Columbus.... 

Just been reading the details of firmware updates on the http://www.my-gti.com/3887/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-to-version-5269 website, am I correct in saying/thinking that updating the firmware on my MY2015 Superb ( 7 months old) does not change anything to do with bluetooth? non of the recent firmwares listed mention anything to do with bluetooth... 

I presume when the dealer said Skoda told them to update the software on the Columbus it is the firmware they have done?

If so as stated above, maybe the module may have just "given up" by coincidence on Friday and made things worse, and I would have had the same issue regardless of what the dealer has done ... They did not touch the module at all... and If the Columbus did control the bluetooth you would set the phone up from there NOT through the MAXI-DOT.. 

Looking at ETOS the bluetooth module, TV module and the aux heater module all connect to the Columbus which I presume is because this is the display/screen and not the physical control.. 

Thinking about it, when it has disconnected in the past it has always reconnected in a few seconds, and ALWAY back to Premium, yesterday on the way to the dealer it disconnected, took about a minute or so to reconnect then connected as basic bluetooth... 

Both times it disconnected after the upgrade of the software, it took ages to try to reconnect again then failed unless I manually connected via my phone, and again it connected to basic bluetooth not Premium... 

I hate not being able to get my head around things..Lol 

That knackerd that theory, I just don't understand bloody modern cars.... Just done a 45 mins trip to the Carvery for lunch, hour later 45 min trip back, worked faultless! connected to "premium" both ways no disconnects .... 

So maybe the new module will (I really hope) cure the issue and yesterday was just a BAD day  ! .... Will see how it goes tomorrow... 

Damn cars Lol 

• Like 1