ICE issues - poor reception on FM, none on AM, CD changer dead

artist21

MK1 Octavia TDi 2003 has standard fit ICE. I have owned it for 9 months.

CD changer was 100%, then started getting sticky, failing to read discs. Now it's dead. I can't get the cassette to eject, and the head unit does not recognise it. I'm not truly bothered, but it would be good to get it working again.

Head unit now has very poor FM reception and no AM (and never has had AM). It can't even hold R2 on the M25 ;)

I've had it out and the antenna cable is attached, so perhaps there is an issue further down? The OE antenna is in place on the roof. I guess a techy could test the antenna cable at the head unit end for signal strength, but that would involve spending money ...

If it all gets to hard I'll swap out the OE head unit for a Halfords special. It comes out with the aid of my removal kit (broken saw blades) but by the looks of things a new unit will require a DIN cage?

Many thanks for all help - wiggly amps are foreign to me. I've been used to classic three-pointed star diesel 124s which have no electrics at all in comparison.

I'd check around the CD changer connector for water ingress as the washer pipe for the the rear screen has a join there which is notorious for failing causing the changer problems.

Poor radio reception & no AM would suggest the ariel booster is broken or missing.