4x4 esc sport-antispin off road behaviour difference

bkem

It's never going to be oversteery as most of the power goes to the front, and only sends some of the power rear when needed.

But if you are really keen, you could get the arse end out with the ESC fully off I expect.

It's never going to be oversteery as most of the power goes to the front, and only sends some of the power rear when needed.

But if you are really keen, you could get the arse end out with the ESC fully off I expect.

Esc sport is supposed to do so while providing safety on the limit

ESC sport is supposed to let the wheels slip a bit, but as most of the power is still going to the front, it will primarily allow the front wheels to slip, and so not produce any oversteer characteristics (unless on a loose/slippery surface like grass/snow).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antispinn off and esp in sports worked very nice with snow on the roads. Could do some nice powerslides.

afaik esp cant be turned completely off.

Esc can be set off completely but I do not get the point of doing so.

The goal to have a sportier and less blunt feeling albeit safe car eg like a Focus

ESC sport is supposed to let the wheels slip a bit, but as most of the power is still going to the front, it will primarily allow the front wheels to slip, and so not produce any oversteer characteristics (unless on a loose/slippery surface like grass/snow).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually drive on slippery winding B-roads so I need a sharp turn in and plenty of grip while in the apex.

Esc can be set off completely but I do not get the point of doing so.

The goal to have a sportier and less blunt feeling albeit safe car eg like a Focus

You sure about that?

Dont think it was possible on the democar.

And manual only mentions esc/esp sport and normal.

You sure about that?

Dont think it was possible on the democar.

And manual only mentions esc/esp sport and normal.

Mine has three settings

esc off

esc sport

antispin off

I just don 't know which is the oversteery albeit safe one to choose.

Roads slip like hell where I live.

When raining in the summer traction on summer tyres is worse than Norway 's frozen roads on winter ones..

Edited by bkem

if you have VCDS you CAN read & use the code which allows a long press to turn ESC OFF.........................I didn't even have the ESC button (only via infotainment) & have retro-fitted the ESC OFF button & coded it.............linky to my post on the MK7 forum.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7908

Basically in VCDS select module ”03 ABS”, then “07 Coding”, then “Long Coding”, then select “BYTE 29” (the last one on the right). Now it will say 02 which is coding for ASR disable (only) via switch & infotainment. Now to do as the GTI & R change this 02 value to 09 & select “Do it!”. This then activates the ESC “Sport” as on the GTI & R & brings up a selection box in the infotainment as well.

So now the switch operates as follows:-

Short press = ASR OFF, short press again ASR ON.

Press & hold for 3-5 seconds = ASR OFF & ESC ON “Sport”. Short press again ASR ON & ESC ON “Normal”

Also the display in the MFD (driver’s binnacle) will also display ASR off, ESC Sport, etc., as appropriate.

You can also go further (credit to forum member “SHFT”) & instead of "09" code it to:-

05 = Short press = ASR OFF, short press again ASR ON.

Press & hold for 3-5 seconds = ASR OFF & ESC OFF. Short press again ASR ON & ESC ON “Normal”

06 = Short press = ASR OFF & ESC ON “Sport”, short press again ASR ON & ESC ON “Normal”.

Press & hold for 3-5 seconds = ASR OFF & ESC OFF. Short press again ASR ON & ESC ON “Normal”.

Please remember the default position of the switch (not pressed) in all coding modes (02, 05, 06, 09) is as follows:- ASR ON & ESC ON “Normal”.

Turn it all off and left foot brake (trouble is the bloody computer takes over), or keep the power on and use the handbrake.

After all that's why God let us invent it, to help counter act under steer!