Remapped/DPF removed MOT opacity tests

TD5

Just curious about this particular topic.   No intention to remove the DPF at the moment as it's working fine.  However... now that the Yeti is remapped...

Does anyone have any figures of their MOT opacity tests figures (various diesel units) that have been remapped? 

Any figures of the opacity test if the DPF is removed?   Not in a rush to make any mods to mine but I am interested to see how much the DPF can change the readings. 

Read lots online regarding how the opacity pass reading is quite high and that the only fail if there's an issue with the engine or the EGR valve etc throwing out some cr*p. 

I'm a huge Land Rover nerd and regularly tinker with my TD5 and other vehicles I've owned.  

It's very highly tuned and I run low ash 2 stroke oil in my fuel tank each fill up.  Did the same in the Discovery 3. Mainly to lubricate the fuel pump.  It also gives me more mpg, the engine runs smoother.  There's not many enthusiasts that don't I've found. 

However, how does 2SO have an impact on the MOT and opacity testing?  Or is it just a good area for nerding out  :nerd:  http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f157/

I don't mind putting it in my Defender as it's a bit more industrial than the 1.6 greenline... saying that, I used to chuck it in the TDv6 diesel with no worries... something about putting it in a new CR Yeti that's out of warranty worries me a bit... which it shouldn't as I've had nothing but excellent results so far. 

So on tests, CR engines pass with significantly lower readings on the opacity test.  Why am I still nervous regarding putting it in my remapped Yeti? :-/   My Discovery 3 cost nearly a third more than my current Greenline and I'd happily bob it in that...  

So on tests, CR engines pass with significantly lower readings on the opacity test.  Why am I still nervous regarding putting it in my remapped Yeti? :-/   My Discovery 3 cost nearly a third more than my current Greenline and I'd happily bob it in that...

There seems to be more hi tech associated with all engines every year so what was ok in one series may prove in hind sight to be problematic in the later versions........?

There are three smoke test limits that apply to a measured smoke test:

For vehicles first used before 1st July 2008 they are:

2.50/m for non turbo

3.00/m for turbo

For vehicles first used after 1st July 2008 it is:

1.50/m for non turbo and turbo.

In my experience they should be capable of passing at 1.50/m, providing that they are given a good hard drive before the test.

I find that DPF equipped vehicles often fail to register anything at all and are almost always well below the limit, I've only ever seen one register above 1.00/m.

I would have thought that it would be straight forward to engineer the remap to be quite clean when the engine is revved up to its governed speed when the car is in neutral, the parking brake applied and the car is not moving.  It's getting increasingly more common for the standard map to limit the engine speed to half its maximum under such conditions.

• Like 1