I had the dreaded engine light on my 2008 Octavia VRS Diesiel along with the eratic temperature gauge.

It's been in the local Indy VW Audi garage and all initial thoughs were the coolant temp sensor. This has been changed with genuine part, infact 2 were tried as the problem is still there. They have suggested that the gauge is at fault and a full replacement instrument cluster is needed at huge cost.

I'm certainly not willing to shell out £800 for a new dash if there might be another solution. Just got the car back today, with the engine sign still showing and now no reading on the temp gauge at all.. They had suggested that a bash on the dash seemed to sort matters, hence why a full replacement was needed..I can't seem to replecate this.. maybe i'm not bashing hard enought!

Any thoughs?? Do I go for a second opinion?

Also should a new dash be needed, could a second hand one be recoded into my car at much less expense?

Cheers in advance,

Dave

Pretty sure there are companies that offer cluster repairs if infact that is the issue, or a cheapest option would be to get a used cluster and have it recoded to your car with your correct mileage etc, i managed to pick a cluster up for less than £30