Chrome gauge rings installation

propeller

I would imagine it is more effort than it is worth...!

It is going to be instrument cluster out and then you're going to have to disassemble the front lens off it.

Worst part is removing the instrument cluster.  Search "removing passat instrument cluster" on youtube to see a few demonstrations. Steering wheel does not need to be removed, it can be lowered to the bottom of its adjustment range.

Try to avoid breaking the locking levers on the two multiplugs, remove the plugs and the cluster will come out.

You'll need to split the two halves of the cluster...there are multiple locking tongues that need to be released, then the two halves can be separated.  Be extremely careful not to damage the double sided printed circuit board.  The very fine circuits can easily be scratched and broken, and are the devil's own job to repair.  You can guess how I know this.

Aim to break as few plastic locating tabs as possible!!

Edit... just remembered this: 

Have a look through the series of videos if you really want to modify your cluster.

Edited by Tdi1.9
  • Like 2

Well, since i already ordered the part im going to do it in a way or another. Will post pictures when done. Thanks for the videos/tips.

its been almost a week now !! is it done  :| ??? awaiting pics !!  :happy: