*Positive vRS Thread*- No off topic!

Gumby

Good to see a positive thread about these wonderful cars! I collected mine last week and so far so good, only averaging 30mpg so far though. Not that I mind, it's a damn sight better than the LS400 I had not long ago.

I did want to ask though, I've been using regular unleaded in mine, will this have a negative affect on the car? I have seen most of you say your using 98-99ron fuel but does the car require it?

If you are only getting 30 MPG out of it, there is either something wrong with it, you are only doing VERY short journeys or have a very heavy right foot. According to various posts on here, you should be getting high 30s or mid 40s or even (allegedly) in the 50s!

If you are only getting 30 MPG out of it, there is either something wrong with it, you are only doing VERY short journeys or have a very heavy right foot. According to various posts on here, you should be getting high 30s or mid 40s or even (allegedly) in the 50s!

My journeys are pretty short to be fair. 10 mile round trip to take the misses to work and my commute is just under 3 miles each way. But saying that, the day after I bought it I did about 90 miles mostly sat at 70 on a DC with cruise on and still only averaged 38mpg. I dont drive that quick as I tend to have the little one in the car.

02814948ebfa6ac4f5c6136cbacb37fd.jpg

That was on the drive home from work hitting every light on green and being very gentle with the cold engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good to see a positive thread about these wonderful cars! I collected mine last week and so far so good, only averaging 30mpg so far though. Not that I mind, it's a damn sight better than the LS400 I had not long ago.

I did want to ask though, I've been using regular unleaded in mine, will this have a negative affect on the car? I have seen most of you say your using 98-99ron fuel but does the car require it?

It may not be necessary, but it's definitely beneficial! If you want to get maximum power from your engine it's a definite must. I believe that the engine management system 'holds back' the power if you run it on 95RON. The initial higher cost of the fuel is more than made up for by better mpg ( I regularly get in excess of 42 mpg in mixed driving conditions).

More to worry about than mpg is oil consumption. I assume yours is a CAVE engine & if so do you know it's history? Oil consumption is a known risk, but you probably haven't had yours long enough to find out.

Maybe check the history to see whether recommended mods have been carried out (if necessary) by previous owner(s).

Good luck with yours. The only regret I've ever had is not getting the estate version!

No doubt Goneoffskirootintootinsonofagunfromcaledonia will fill you in in more detail.

• Like 1

It may not be necessary, but it's definitely beneficial! If you want to get maximum power from your engine it's a definite must. I believe that the engine management system 'holds back' the power if you run it on 95RON. The initial higher cost of the fuel is more than made up for by better mpg ( I regularly get in excess of 42 mpg in mixed driving conditions).

More to worry about than mpg is oil consumption. I assume yours is a CAVE engine & if so do you know it's history? Oil consumption is a known risk, but you probably haven't had yours long enough to find out.

Maybe check the history to see whether recommended mods have been carried out (if necessary) by previous owner(s).

Good luck with yours. The only regret I've ever had is not getting the estate version!

No doubt Goneoffskirootintootinsonofagunfromcaledonia will fill you in in more detail.

Perhaps my poor consumption and using 95 are related then. I'll use v-power in the next few tanks and see if there's a difference.

As for oil consumption I'm aware of the issues these engines have. I bought skoda approved and have a 2 year warranty so I'm not overly concerned. The car has full dealer service history but didn't come with anything more than the stamps in the book so I have no idea what work has been carried out beyond regular servicing.

Do you know off hand all the mods/recalls that have been offered by skoda to combat the issue? Oh and yes mine is the cave engine.

• Like 2

25-32 mpg for a 6 mile trip is about right considering your oil probably just gets to an indicated 50*oC before you stop again.

Check next time you go on a longer trip as the Average MPG increases after about 10-15 miles once the Oil gets to Operating Temperature.

Maybe try Tesco Momentum 99 if available to you.

It is only 5 pence a litre extra than most 95 Ron in filling stations. so £2.25 extra when fully filling up.

Worth every penny, and the cars recommended fuel is Super 98 Octane.

Shell V-Power Nitro+ is also 99 ron minimum, but really there is no benefit over the Momentum and maybe a downside 

with the 'Secret Detergents' and Additives, but then Momentum also has them, and Shell and Greenergy that Produce Momentum 

Import the Fuel into the UK as partners anyway.

Sainsburys Super Unleaded and BP & Esso Super unleaded are 97 ron Minimum in the UK.

Even these are worth using over their 95 ron fuels.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

You can see if there is anything showing as outstanding with Service Campaigns

If the DSG had a Service Campaign Field Action there should be a Sticker in the boot Spare Tyre Well 

to show it was done. And written in the Service Book and on the Skoda System of Services and Warranty Work.

As to Skoda Approved Used cars,

they get a Workshop Check or should, but they do not necessarily get 'Serviced' unless the Service is due 

at the time of sale. so Service Campaign work can be overlooked. ie, not checked if outstanding.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Good you've got the fallback of a 2 year warranty. I believe that the latest mod for excessive oil consumption is something to do with oil squirters (whatever they are?). But before jumping the gun I suppose you need to see if you have problem?. It's not unusual to require top up of half a litre every 1000 miles or so. Any more than that & you've got a problem. I personally use 5w-40 oil which I find helps.

Also maybe check spark plugs - plenty of advice on this forum.

• Like 1

LOL, Chill,  this is the

*Positive vRS Thread.*

Plenty CAVE engine cars have no issues with oil consumption.

There are about 1,800 in the UK, and the greatest majority have no issues.

and the 25% or more that have required Engines replaced and replacement engines replaced are now fine.

Breather Mods and ECU Updates done and now Oil Spray Jets replaced / updated.

The Warranty has you covered, and if any Skoda Employee ever says they never heard of any issues, 

ask if the Keys Fob batteries for your car fit their hearing aid.

• Like 1

Nice, 

have you posted up in the VRS Register?   EDIT,  sorry see it now, & an Estate.  Rare, 700 or less of those.

How many miles has your car covered?

See you hopefully next year at the 2nd Mk2 Fabia vRS Annual Get together.

(once this starts to get thought about and thread starts.)

• Like 2

Nice,

have you posted up in the VRS Register?

How many miles has your car covered?

See you hopefully next year at the 2nd Mk2 Fabia vRS Annual Get together.

(once this starts to get thought about and thread starts.)

Yes I've posted on the register, also read the entire thing hoping to spot the car in the hands of a previous keeper. Also it ticked over to 25k miles yesterday.

I was going to reply with other stuff, but have already said it lol... you will probably find better fuel economy with higher octane fuel too ;)

No harm in repeating yourself!

Really, with all the knowledge gained through ownership experience from everyone there should be something like a do's and don'ts thread, a one stop shop for all the information a new VRS owner could want or need. Wether it be in relation to general use, maintaining the car or even modding. Unless there is such a thread already?

The only problem with forums is the really good/active ones have so much to search through it can be overwhelming.

• Like 1

One important thing is to be sure you have 4 good Spark Plugs with the correct gap in a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kW Twincharger.

If not changed by 25,000 miles or any record of them changed, maybe look at checking them.

(Many might not notice Misfires, or get Warning Light/s or Fault Codes, but might note poorer fuel consumption 

as one spark plug starts to prematurely fail, you want to catch this before you get warning lights when booting the car

(Just getting a shift on) and below 3,500 rpm with Supercharger & Turbo boosting.)

There is an Excellent Pinned Post by vxh26 at the top of this Section for those having issues with the Oil Consumption.

.......................................................................................

There are good Mk2 Fabia Build Threads in the Fabia Projects section.

A good selection of members vRS Estate Projects. (eg sharkriders is there.)

This below is a good one for a vRS Hatch CAVE Engine. (Tuning Box fitted) No Remap with this one, 

but a Remap invalidates the Warranty you have probably.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/221248-vrs-powereds-skoda-fabia-tsi-tmc-itg-2116-bhp

Yes, mapping affects my warranty. I doubt I will do much modding. I will be putting Eibach springs on soon and I may get a RARB at some point, had a used one lined up but it might be staying on the car it's currently on.

Yes, mapping affects my warranty. I doubt I will do much modding. I will be putting Eibach springs on soon and I may get a RARB at some point, had a used one lined up but it might be staying on the car it's currently on.

RARB is possibly one of the best bang for buck mods you can do, it transforms the car :)

• Like 2

<SNIP>

Really, with all the knowledge gained through ownership experience from everyone there should be something like a do's and don'ts thread, a one stop shop for all the information a new VRS owner could want or need. Whether it be in relation to general use, maintaining the car or even modding. Unless there is such a thread already?

<SNIP>

A brilliant idea, however probably much easier said than done.

Summarising a whole raft of threads and posts, I put together a pinned thread on the vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues. I did this because there seemed to be - perhaps understandably - a vast number of threads on the subject with more heat then light. I had a fair amount of assistance on this from a number of people, particularly George.

One issue is that on this forum, having  started a thread. one cannot go back to make corrections, clarify issues, add useful information,etc. What ends up happening is that valid and useful input will be spread across many subsequent posts.

Added to this, there are many very strongly held "personal opinions" on many aspects - e.g. fuel, choice of oil, spark plugs, etc. Sadly, these opinions are rarely backed up with credible,  independent, objective evidence.

LOL.

On your bike. 

There have been several hundred Mk2 vRS owners on here that know what Fuel, Oil, Spark Plugs, Tyres, Tuning Boxes, Remaps, 

Suspension, etc work, and what issues the cars can have.

You vxh26 have gained any knowledge from reading it on here and elsewhere, and you heard it somewhere.

What is rarely backed up by anything credible is you telling people or advising people with the vehicles about them.

Now if you can do more internet searches and post objective information and also give your experiences of the 

cars it would be very useful.

.........................................................................................

So vxh26 / vxh28 final time i ask and post on the subject.

?

How many times now have you driven a Mk2 Fabia vRS,

and how many times have you opened the bonnet of one?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/307997-ok-i-have-now-driven-a-fabia-vrs-and-i-liked-it

So, seen as this is a positive thread I thought I'd share some good news!

My dad's been after a car for a while.. driving mum round the bend with it for a good year or so but never actually bought one!

Took him & mum out in the vRS the other week as all they have is work vans & not ideal when dressed up to go out.. He started talking and mentioning how he would love a Fabia vRS & started scouting Auto Trader. Found a white one he liked.. Mum got sick of hearing about the Fabia and.....

As a surprise has bought him it for Christmas!!!! Arrives tomorrow on a low loader. 64 plate, white, 4,000 miles from new! Can't wait to see it & see his face on Saturday when she passes him the keys and the garage door goes up!

Will post pictures tomorrow & get it registered on the vRS register thread!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Arrived yesterday! Looking forward to getting it detailed tomorrow!

aef70d888cd0e7c1d7ace2269d926fa2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Has it got Climatronic or did Skoda latterly improve the standard air con controls? The blurb just says air con.

Edit: Viewing on my phone so could have this totally wrong.

Edited by Brian69

Has it got Climatronic or did Skoda latterly improve the standard air con controls? The blurb just says air con.

Edit: Viewing on my phone so could have this totally wrong.

Yes this one has climate control.

The design looks a lot better than the manual air conditioning switches that is fitted as standard.

• Like 2

Yes this one has climate control.

The design looks a lot better than the manual air conditioning switches that is fitted as standard.

Yip, raises the interior - standard air con controls look a bit cheap.