head lights

International regulation ECE R37 specifies the luminous flux of the H4 bulb as 1650/1000 lumens ±15% and max allowable wattage 75/68w @ 13.2v. These LED bulbs are quoted as 3000/2500 lumens, so a substantial increase in light output.

Not wanting to be negative but with this increase why are car makers not using these bulbs to replace HIDs? Is there a catch such as not being able to get the wider LEDS in the same focal point as the thin filament in a normal bulb.

If you buy these led replacement bulbs I will be very interested to hear your comments about range and spread of the light.

• Like 1

I bought 100w halogen rally bulbs for my mk1, bright as anything and only £8 each, damn sight cheaper than the cree bulbs which i doubt are legal , having read the advert for them I didn't see any euro compliance certificate number or even a UK one and if they are legal and as good as they suggest then why haven't all the car mags featured them and done glowing (forgive the pun) reports on them. I would hold off on buying them yet.

• Like 1

One of the forklifts at work has had them fitted for some reason. Very bright. Because its not a road vehicle the bulbs are blinding everyone. I dont think there aligned correct but do make seeing easier in the yard at night

• Like 1