No brakes!

Please help, proper scary, without any warning my brakes on my 2003 L&K tdi estate go absolutely rock hard, making stopping very interesting!! seems to happen more frequently in the wet, but you can drive for hundreds of miles between fail events, local garage has had a good look and cannot see anything wrong. Any help greatly appreciated, I think at 175,000 miles its becoming a FORD(fix or repair daily)

Cheers

Stephen

Split vacuum pipe somewhere. Tricky to pin down as the braided pipes split under braid, & visually look ok. Easiest to buy some vacuum pipe from a motor factor, & replace them all. There are some T pieces that can split too so check them.

Edited by pauldazzle

Really does sound like a vacuum pipe. I had this on a Fabia, scared the living daylights out of me. Tape up any splits in the pipe(s), as a temporary measure until you can get the new pipe. Gaffer tape does the job well.