Falken Tyres - Sawtoothing - Common or not?

bildo

I've won a set of Falken tyres in a competition, and luckily for me it comes at a good time since I've had enough with the noises coming from the current Uniroyal tyres I have on.

I've heard that certain tyre brands are worse than others for sawtooth, has anyone had any experience with Falken at all?

Thanks in advance!

I've not heard of certain tyres being more susceptible to saw toothing, the issue is with misaligned rear suspension rather than the tyres.

I imagine a softer / stickier tyre may wear faster in these situations?

Either way I'd look to get a proper suspension alignment (Hunter) done before fitting the new tyres.

Which Falkens?

If they are free it hardly matters.  Get a decent 4 wheel alignment & make sure they set the rears as upright as possible. 

Run them on about 34-36psi

X-rotate every 5000miles (unless they are directionals - then just straight front to back).

I had Maxis MAZ1 and they did seem prone to sawtoothing even after alignment.

I read at teh time that tyres with large tread blocks might be more susceptible but I've nothing to back that up.

I have Falken ZE914's all round and after a recent MOT my mate who owns the garage said the driver's rear tyre has sawtoothing and advised me to get a 4 wheel alignment and a new tyre. My bad because I had the car lowered last summer and forgot to get it aligned!

Good tyres though, great grip in the wet and don't wear too fast either. A sensible buy for £68 a corner (225/40/18).

mine are 914's - done 20k, still ok and no sawtoothing.

guys, can you comment on how loud the tyres are, especially in motorway speeds+ and what about fuel consumption? It's so hard to decide if get these or Vredestein or Goodyear or...damn it

guys, can you comment on how loud the tyres are, especially in motorway speeds+ and what about fuel consumption? It's so hard to decide if get these or Vredestein or Goodyear or...damn it

Noise was a slight improvement over the originals - Dunlops I think they were.

Didn't notice a difference with fuel consumption.

They are rated 70db which is pretty good and they are quiet. Fuel economy wise they are the same as most, I doubt you would notice much difference compared to others even though these are marketed as ecorun, that doesn't add any mpg by the way lol!

I've had falken ZE914 all round for the last 2 years. Very good tyre, especially for the price. No excessive noise, good handling.

Would definitely recommend.

I've had falken ZE914 all round for the last 2 years. Very good tyre, especially for the price. No excessive noise, good handling.

Would definitely recommend.

Agree - good tyres for the price - ran Dunlops before and got saw tooth on rear of last set so switched. Ran Falkens on my Mazda 6 before the Octi, so knew they were a good tyre. Don't quote me, but I think they are ex Dunlop patterns.

I also have the falken ZE914s all round no saw toothing as of yet, good grippy tyres wet and dry cant comment on wear as only done 5000 miles on them but are wearing even.

On winter tyres at the moment so when they go back on fronts will go on back and vice verser. Tyre pressure 34 all round.