Farewell to my Superb

So, i was on my way home last Wednesday, there was a bit of stationary traffic on the roundabout so i braked, unfortunately the car behind me decided to use my Superb as a brake instead. The damage didn't look too bad, but you guys know how it goes with insurance repairs:

DSC00560.jpg

I don't have the full damage report yet, but the repairs come to £3700, which according to Glass and a few adverts i've found on Motors.co.uk and Exchange and Mart is £700 more than my car's worth.

So, farewell to my Superb, I am a little sad that it's met it's demise a lot earlier than i'd planned.

I might buy it back from the insurance company, just waiting for the full damage report to see if there's any damage that's not visible.

to be honest, i'm kind of thinking for a rear quarter panel, boot, light cluster, bits of trim, respraying and labour it's probably not far off £3700, but it's whether it's worth me paying £750 to have my car back, then another wedge on getting it repaired.

I've got a spare set of Elegance alloys for my car that i'll stick on the selling pages, plus a full set of those removable blinds. I also have a Phatnoise box, but as that was still fitted in the car it's doubtful i'll get that back.

I think my next car will be a Yeti, just need to find a nice one that's a decent price,

Derek

• Like 1

Hope you were all Ok.

How does it work these days - can you insist on their insurance getting it repaired / getting you into another vehicle? What about costs involved in looking for a new car, do they have to cover anything like that?

I had a near miss yesterday from someone pulling out of a junction without looking. I can see most accidents on mine would probably write it off these days.

That looks like it will go CAT D and put back on the road, we have seen some on here in far worse state repaired. It will be an easy repair, but not economic to complete using new parts.

That is unfortunate...

However, the fault of the accident belongs to the other driver, since he hit you from behind (he didn't keep the safety distance from the car in front of him), at least this is what our driving rules say. In this case, you could perform all the repairs to your car and deduct them from his insurance, so it wouldn't matter the cost (it is paid from the mandatory insurance of the guilty part). It would be a pitty to let go of the car because of an incident which wasn't even your fault...

:sweat:

That's a sorry sight.

At first glance it looks quite fixable, and I've seen worse corrected by a decent panelbeater, if they still exist given the penchant for putting new bits on (or at least justifying a write-off) these days.

Guess it depends on the overall condition of the car and what it's worth to you.

I'm sorry to say I'd probably let it go and move on.

Hope no one was hurt.

Gaz 

Thanks guys, I was just about at a standstill and the guy behind me wouldn't have been doing more than 5 or 6 mph, I don't think my car even moved when he hit it, even though he used me as a brake!

His car looked a lot worse off than mine but it was a 2014 Hyundai i40 estate so full of crumple zones etc on the front end.

It's a bit of a pain having to wait for the damage report, might trying giving them a call again

Speak to your insurance provider (NOT your broker) about a possible cash-in-lieu-settlement. They may give you the option of cash to go and sort the car yourself with no liability to them. I did this when I hit a deer while riding my motorbike. 

Some info here but best to speak to your insurance.

http://www.motorclaimguru.co.uk/cash-in-lieu-settlement.html

That rear 1/4 panel looks very fixable without replacing anything.

You need to find a good panel beater, rather than a body shop that will simply chop and weld. Any good panel beater should be able to remove that dent completely and pull the panel back into shape, possibly even without any need for painting. Then fit second hand light cluster and bumper, and jobs a goodun.

• Like 1

That rear 1/4 panel looks very fixable without replacing anything.

You need to find a good panel beater, rather than a body shop that will simply chop and weld. Any good panel beater should be able to remove that dent completely and pull the panel back into shape, possibly even without any need for painting. Then fit second hand light cluster and bumper, and jobs a goodun.

I agree.  Buy it back then get a decent panel beater to sort it out.  Once you start cutting/welding it will never be the same again.

There are very skilled craftsmen out there with the right tools and patience who could sort it out.

• Like 1