A sad Superb tale

Richf

I wouldn't say that's a sad tale, I was expecting to see a Superb written off something like that when I saw the title!  Sounds like you enjoyed the last few years of ownership and there will always be some issues.  You have obviously given it some attention over the years so, as you say, someone else can enjoy it now.  Are you moving away from Skoda??

It does make a change from all the tales of woe

The wife is moving away so the Superb is bring traded for a Prius , I however will go back to having the family car so have an Octavia Estate on order , petrol though

Interesting contrast to mine Richf, now on 92k my 140CR has never missed a beat and the issues you speak of have not featured at all.

However it does look in good nick and you've looked after it well, someone will enjoy it from now on.

Great review!

My climate control fan has started an on/off rotational squeaking noise, I wonder if these are a weak point, we have two Toureg's at work and the fans on them have also failed.

Quick question on the front pads and discs, were these an easy DIY? I've changed them before on my old Peugeot 306 but have heard re-wind tools being mentioned for the Superb. I didn't need one of these on the old Pug. Was the Superb relatively straight forward?

I quite like the Octavia L&K alloys on the Superb, they look smart.

Interesting on the DPF-delete with regards to you insurer, I will be running my Superb until it die's (currently on 65K), I'm hoping to get as close to 250,000 miles out of it as I can (another 5 years @ 30K/year), so I'll be expecting EGR, DPF, DMF and turbo etc.

My boss has a 14 plate race blue MkIII Octavia estate (1.6 4x4) and the neighbour has just pulled up in his brand new dark red 15 plate 1.6 diesel estate. Good looking cars!

Yes very easy to change the pads and discs about 1 hours work and no special tools needed

• Like 1

Only the rear calipers need a wind back tool, but it's handy to have just because it's easier than using pliers/clamps to push the piston back. If you're really stuck you can wind the rear calipers back with the tips of a needlenose pliers, but less than €20 or possibly even €10 on the likes of ebay should get you the right tool.

• Like 1

I know how you feel :(

I recently traded my 2005 Mark I Superb, and after 4 years of ownership and about 35,000 miles (I don't commute in it), cambelt/waterpump change, new clutch and DMF, remap, lowered on Eibach springs, reversing sensors shot, new bumper and headlight after some knob reversed into it while it was parked, new window motor, new reverse switch, 4 new tyres, serviced every year, new CV gators every 8 months (or so it seemed), driven all over France and the UK with our two kids, I felt a pang when I drove away in my new Mazda 6 estate and left the old girl behind.

I took one last pic while I was at the Mazda dealer:

8306A65C-D222-4C6D-85C0-C25FF1D26F8D_zps

I still don't know if I did the right thing. I hope she's happy with her new family :)