6x9 speakers in the parcel shelf?

abo

Now that I've got the live for the amp through the bulkhead and tucked away to run to the sub (job for tomorrow, it's too dark and cold now lol), I've started thinking about the rear speakers...

I've got a pair of Infinity Reference 6x9s that along with my head unit have followed me from car to car, and I'd like to put them in my Octavia. They're fairly big and beefy.

So, can anyone please offer advice on how best to fit them without destroying the rigidity of the shelf?

I has some in my Mk1 Octavia and to be honest there wasn't an issue with rigidity during the four years they were in.  I did buy a second hand parcel shelf from a scrappies so if it went wrong at least I hadn't ruined the original.  Also, when it came time to sell the car I could revert to standard and keep the speakers.

6X9 speakers are definitely old skool, but so am I.  When I had the Octavia, I uprated the head unit, front & rear speakers and there still wasn't enough sound from the rear for me, hence the 6x9 in the second hand parcel shelf.  I prefer the sound to be predominently behind me, maybe a 60-40 split in favour of the rear.  It must be a legacy of my youth where the norm was a set of 6x9s in the rear and a decent tape head unit up front. :notme:

• Like 1

I would not bother, your main sound should come from the front speakers

Yep, I'll be doing the fronts at some point, but I've got the 6x9's sat there. I couldn't put them in my Alfa, and I've missed them...

Could u not make them fit it the doors with a little cutting? Did this on my old astra and it worked really well and you would of never known they were there.

Nah, I don't fancy it. I'm going to get some components for the doors

Nah, I don't fancy it. I'm going to get some components for the doors

Watch the depth of the unit, there's not a lot of room there as standard to miss the door paraphernalia without mods. Be careful with the standard membranes in that area and how you mod them. Over the winter months there were loads of threads on here about water leaks that were due to membranes.

Watch the depth of the unit, there's not a lot of room there as standard to miss the door paraphernalia without mods. Be careful with the standard membranes in that area and how you mod them. Over the winter months there were loads of threads on here about water leaks that were due to membranes.

Was thinking about this, ended up using some adapters in a previous cars.

Well strangely enough, I have the exact same speakers as you! I wouldn't go anywhere without my Infinity References....lol!

Last few cars I've had, I have removed the original parcel shelf, and constructed an entirely new one out of MDF. Because that's how we did it 'in the old days' haha!

But I've seen good results with modifying the existing shelf. Which is what I did with my Octy. So basically what I did was find a bit of 18mm MDF, and cut a rectangle of the MDF board that was about the same size as the flat, rectangular bit on the parcel shelf. I then cut the holes in the board for the speakers, and mounted them. I then covered the board in black aucoustic cloth.

I cut corresponding holes in the parcel shelf, and then placed the board on the shelf, and wound screws through from underneath the shelf into the board above to secure it.

So I've ended up with the original parcel shelf, with a rectangular MDF board mounted to the top of it, giving me a solid place for the speakers. It doesn't really show up at all when you look at it through the hatchback glass, and it sounds as solid as any other parcel shelf mount for 6x9's that I have ever made before!

Hope this helps. If you want, I can take a few pics and post them up, let me know.

So I've ended up with the original parcel shelf, with a rectangular MDF board mounted to the top of it, giving me a solid place for the speakers. It doesn't really show up at all when you look at it through the hatchback glass, and it sounds as solid as any other parcel shelf mount for 6x9's that I have ever made before!

Hope this helps. If you want, I can take a few pics and post them up, let me know.

Yes please, that would be great!

I'd be interested to see these too. I have 6x9's mounted in the rear of mine as they add a nice bit of depth to the sound without having to have a subwoofer.

I would be interested to know if anyone has looked at mounting speakers in the rear doors though? Perhaps in custom made pods, IE: components etc.

Fibreglass, few layers on the underside :)

Bit more strength

Could even use contact adhesive to bond mdf sections where speakerss will be

Then fibreglass the whole underside ( over the mdf )

U could sand itband spray satin or matt black to get a oem first look :)

I would be interested to know if anyone has looked at mounting speakers in the rear doors though? Perhaps in custom made pods, IE: components etc.

The Seat Toledo has rear door 16.5cm component woofer and a tweeter in the same location as the Octavia

The speaker holding frame would probably fit the Octavia's door

The rear Toledodoor card is a fit to the Octavia

Got the door cards, just not got round to getting speaker frames

this is a rear 4 door Leon

RearSealLocation.jpg

Edited by snow_muncher
  • Like 1

That looks interesting, how are you thinking of locating the speaker mount?, as the Octy doesn't have the winder cassette like the Leon.

I can feel a summer project coming on, maybe cut off just that section from a Leon cassette and graft it in?.

Breakers yard for some Toledo bits it is then, looks like summer will be interesting, are the door trims close in texture or are they massively different?.

Sorry to OP for robbing thread, may start new thread on this tonight as I like a challenge :D

• Like 1

Cool, looks tidy enough. Mine are in now, I nibbled a bit out of the speaker cover in the end to make them fit the gap. It doesn't look too bad. Speakers wires are just gashed in for now until I order some adapters, but they're producing better sound than the standard speakers at least!

I wired power to the sub box today too, just need to send the audio to it now and we're about done.