can faulty wiper stalk stop cruise from working?

Retro fitted cruise and was working fine.  Then fitted an aftermarket DAB stereo with canbus connector adapter, cruise still worked fine.

Then suddenly it stopped working.

Error codes are:

005784 - Please Check DTC Memory of Steering Wheel Electronics

P1698 - 001

00888 - Wiper Switch for Intermittent Operation (E22)

014 - Defective - Intermittent

01305 - Databus for Infotainment

004 - No Signal/Communication

01304 - Radio

004 - No Signal/Communication

I don't have a multi function steering wheel but have used the canbus adapter for ease of fitting.  Strangely, pressing the button on the underside of the wiper stalk, switches the stereo on and press it again switches dab stations!

what type of stalk is it?

early version are prone to failing

Type of stalk???  MY is 2006, and I've noticed the intermittent wipe adjustable speed not really being very adjustable!  

Thanks, but it's the wiper stalk that's faulty - the cruise stalk is brand new.   Just wanted to know if the intermittent switch is faulty and causes a fault in the steering wheel controller module, does it stop CC working?

Probably that first error code causing lack of CC functionality, as communication for CC is though that controller.

I'd suspect the issue might be caused by the aftermarket canbus adaptor that you've used? If that's for use with MFSWs for example, and yours doesn't have one then that could throw up errors. As it could be sending signals to the steering wheel controller, which it's not coded for.

• Like 1

Probably that first error code causing lack of CC functionality, as communication for CC is though that controller.

I'd suspect the issue might be caused by the aftermarket canbus adaptor that you've used? If that's for use with MFSWs for example, and yours doesn't have one then that could throw up errors. As it could be sending signals to the steering wheel controller, which it's not coded for.

So either not use canbus adapter or upgrade to a high line controller - that could be the answer. cheers

What make is the stereo, and adaptor? Could be that the pinout on the adaptor isn't properly compatible with your car would be my feeling at the moment.

What make is the stereo, and adaptor? Could be that the pinout on the adaptor isn't properly compatible with your car would be my feeling at the moment.

Pioneer AVH3500DAB & Carconnects2 CTSSK003.2

Sounds like the CTSSK003.2 might be the issue then, if you don't have the MFSW. Description lists as "Adapter for control from steering wheel; Škoda"

So s/wheel controller will be getting unexpected CANBUS communication, from the HU via this adaptor.

Type of stalk???  MY is 2006, and I've noticed the intermittent wipe adjustable speed not really being very adjustable!

Mine is the same and have just sorted it out today.

Take out the inner piece of the stalk which you adjust the intermittent wipers and give it a good clean with electical cleaner.

They just get mucked up every now and then.

Working just fine now

• Like 1

Well, I unplugged the stereo and took the wiring off completely - reset the codes but it comes back straight away.  I've either buggered the control unit or the stalk  :doh:

OK. As above, it's worth cleaning the contacts on both stalks, just to be sure. They're likely gunked up anyway, if you've not done that before.

OK. As above, it's worth cleaning the contacts on both stalks, just to be sure. They're likely gunked up anyway, if you've not done that before.

The cruise stalk is new, so that shouldn't be the problem.  Might put the old non cruise stalk back in to see it clears the fault.

Thanks for the help and ideas though :)

Did some trouble shooting this evening.

Plugged old stereo back in.  cleared fault codes in engine and steering wheel sections.  Wiper fault has cleared and not returned.

Steering controller fault keeps coming back straight after clearing.

Put new stereo back in, but not connect remote cable.  Still no faults in steering wheel section. 

Switched cruise to off on stalk.  cleared code in steering controller and it didn't come back.

Switched cruise to on and the fault came back.

So it is pointing to a faulty new stalk!