FSI Cylinder head replacement.

TL'DR something got mushed in the camshaft ladder/oil channel and now has resulted in a replacement head required for my engine (Garage has admitted fault, obviously as its directly linked to the work they have done)  what should i do?

So, car went in for a camshaft chain/tensioner replacement due to failed tensioner/noisy chain. NOTE: camshaft chain not timing chain as its a FSI not a TSI.

they could not remove the gear on the end of the camshaft (2 guys hanging off the end of the wrench trying to get the splined bolt out. they stopped because they thought they were going to snap the camshaft) so they removed the ladder to allow them to move the shafts closer and remove the chain etc. ended up with something getting sucked into the camshaft and well. the head is damaged.

- brand new TPS OEM head, £1300 and labour (not my cost)  and i am assuming new camshaft.

- TFSI engine second hand, not sure how this would work with the garage in terms of who's paying for what. but a full engine + loom/ECU will be a lot more, not to mention modified car insurance etc.. but the flipside i get a smile on my face.

Looking towards getting the garage to rebuild the top end i guess, unless anyone knows of any decent engines about, but its best the beast you know right?

Edited by neomancer

Well, short of it is, garage is going ahead with getting a rebult VW supplied head (if he can go see one, a second hand head may be an option, but this is at his risk and liability) 

So, new cams, new everything for the top end, all the alu that came off the head/ladder frame ended up melted onto the cam as it ran dry!

Glad i have a decent mechanic, no drama, just admission of fault from the start and full OEM replacement at their cost. should have her back in a few weeks :)