Locked keys in the boot. A lesson learned!

This week I managed to do what I said would happen sooner or later. I opened just the boot on the fob and shut it on the button on the boot. This time though, I left the key inside. So, luckily for me I was only 18 miles from home and was with a willing to help work colleague.

So after grabbing the spare and retrieving my locked in key I started to think how to stop this from happening again.

I messaged Gizmo68 (who recently very kindly made a couple of tweeks to the vcds. One was to allow the boot to close on the fob or cabin button) to ask if the boot fitted button could be disabled, but it can't. So that ruled that out.Then the eureka moment (and sorry if this has been done before and added to the forum). I made a thin but strong blanking cover for the button. Made from a similar plastic to the trim that is stuck over the button with strong double sided tape so can be removed if needed.

Already I have reached for the button and had the Doh! moment. It looks ok when the boot is open and I know it can't happen to me again. If it can help anyone else on the forum then my mistake was worth it!

It can happen to pretty much any car.

I could have the boot open and press the lock button then close the boot with the key in the boot and it would lock itself.

Simple but clever solution. Then you can only close the boot if you have the key in your hand!

Lucky you weren't too far away from home.

Phil

Thats why I like the keyless system on my Audi, if you shut the boot with the key on the car it does not lock (well thats whats supposed to happen). Never tested it, and never will as I only have one key.

If it happens again and you have a spare set of keys at home and there is someone you can ring on the mobile if they press the remote next to the mobile and you hold your mobile close to the car it 'should' open.  I have not tried it but am assured by someone who I know and trust that it does work so worth a try.

Regards Chris

If it happens again and you have a spare set of keys at home and there is someone you can ring on the mobile if they press the remote next to the mobile and you hold your mobile close to the car it 'should' open.  I have not tried it but am assured by someone who I know and trust that it does work so worth a try.

Regards Chris

Not this AGAIN.  Totally rubbish.

Thats why I like the keyless system on my Audi, if you shut the boot with the key on the car it does not lock (well thats whats supposed to happen). Never tested it, and never will as I only have one key.

I think that there has been the odd occasion when this did not work, and the car has locked, although as you say this is NOT supposed to happen with Kessy/Keyless 

I do open the boot quite regular using the middle button, but I always try to remember to put the key in my pocket before I shut it... worked so far lol 

Must say in all my time with VW/Skoda vehicles with remote key and some other manufactures with a separate boot button, I've never bothered to open just the boot.

I open the whole car on the top button, irrespective of if I'm only going in the boot.

But reading this I can see how easy it is to do :(

Edited by Defenderben

As I said I have not tried it.  Sorry if my mention of it has offended you in some way.

Regards Chris

No offence taken.  I see you have now checked and have found a rebutting web-site.  As  car remotes do not use an audio signal there never was a chance that a mobile phone speaker could transmit anything of use.

Should have checked myself to be honest either by trying or scoping it.  My bad!  I am a cynic by nature but was assured by someone that he had tried it and it had worked which if you look at the SCOPE piece it is remotely (see what I did there?) possible with older central locking systems.  So maybe he did or maybe he was repeating what someone else had said which is how these urban myths start.  Mind you I DO have fairies at the bottom of my garden. :notme:

Like it used to say on all my school reports "Christopher must try harder".

Regards Chris