Battery Fuse Box Cure? Replacement has also burnt!

• Administrators

Mk1 VRS,

OK, so I had my Fuse Box, Black Wire and Fuses replaced. The CEL Check light came on and I thought it may be due to the coil packs, so a call to Skoda and they replaced them for free, great! However they mentioned and showed me that the black wire has built up resistance and therefor has melted the black fuse box. So I got it booked in with them to replace everything.

4 Days later the CEL light has reappeared and a lot of swearing on a trip back to home to find that the fuse box has gone white underneath (I guess due to heat build up), this was on the left side where the black wire connects.

I mean, what are the chances that this problem has come back within 100 miles of driving and within 4 days???

No other lights come up, car starts fine, although I feel a slight misfire, engine shudder with a slight hesitation which Skoda said is due to the fuse box issue.

Is there a cure to this issue as it appears to be very common. The car goes back soon in to get checked as I'm certainly not happy.

Probably the crimp joint on the cable going into the fuse box has started to fail and has a high resistance, producing heat, thus melting the fuse box.

• Administrators

OK, here are some pictures to show what happened after the 4 days.

6jqanb.jpg  x6ir29.jpg

2i1l4xe.jpg  20psf1e.jpg

whofva.jpg  5fk7eh.jpg

Seems that it hasn't burnt the case around the crimp but has heated up enough to show signs on the top.

The date code on the plastic top says it is the original, made in 2002. Is it the burning on this that you are referring to?

• Administrators

The date code on the plastic top says it is the original, made in 2002. Is it the burning on this that you are referring to?

Indeed, but this is a new one as my old one melted on the edge.

After mine melted the first time, I did alot of searching around on the net to find out it was a very common problem. This gave me little to no confidence in the part/setup and so I decided to bypass the OE fuse box with the black wire and run it to its own seperate fuse box. This is now positioned in a place where I can keep a close watchful eye on it and up to now 18 months on has given me no further issues.

• Administrators

Can you feel warmth there?  Could it be possible that the garage fitted a second hand (and slightly) melted fuse box cover?

No as it was done at Skoda when I had some other stuff done.

Also the CEL light has come back on since then too.

• Administrators

Turns out the replacement fuse box didn't come with the lid so they used my old one without cleaning it..... Wish they told me.

As for the check light etc, I have a dogy Thermostat that needs replacing and that's all that is wrong with it. Fault cleared for now and that will get sorted out next month.

Happy Days!