Ex-Cleveland Police vRSs?

Ey up chaps and chapettes. Long time member, but I've been without a Skoda for about four years now.

For the sake of cheapness, in the future I might fancy one of Cleveland Police's old unmarked Skodas - I know the newer black one, FTP, sold on Ebay about a month ago. I'm wondering if any of the others live on with Briskodians?

Buying an Ex Police car can be a cheap way to a car of a certain type but there are things to be aware of which you probably are.  Others on here may have better (more recent) knowledge than me but..........

They are usually maintained very well and anything that needs to be done is.  Very often when they are sold they still have stuff done to sell them although that may have changed and may vary from force to force.  They do however have an exceptionally hard life and harder than most people may imagine.  High mileage isn't a real problem but with that comes a very hard life on things like the seats and that is before you get to anything mechanical.  They will have been driven properly but spend much of their time being driven harder than most of us do on a daily basis.  Yes we all like to have a bit of a thrash from time to time but these cars are driven like that pretty much most of the time out of necessity.

Whilst they may be much cheaper they can have problems that will soak up any saving very quickly.  Having said that up until a year ago I had an Para Medic Volvo V50 2.0 diesel and it literally flew along and I had no problems with it.  It was just short of the 100k when I bought it and I had it for a further 30k without major expense.  I swear it had been chipped as well because it was a monster with bags of torque and the revs picked up so rapidly that it was hard to tell it was a diesel.

Hope that helps.

Regards Chris

• Like 1

Ta Chris for the advice - luckily I'm not going in blindfolded, I've got one ex-police car on the drive already. Admittedly currently in pieces and needing work, as you say it does soak up the saving.

The main thing is I like to have a car that isn't pristine (and one with a bit of history), so I'm not worried about it getting dinger when I park it up... and I don't feel too bad when I start drilling holes for handsfree kits and the like. :D

Im in teesside myself but bought a ex Kent police car, i couldnt believe how well it had been maintained, just in the process of replacing all parts that have holes in from the plod's equipment 

Would I ever buy an ex police car, not a chance in hell would I. Especially a car from a traffic dept. how. Many times has it rammed another car or been rammed, never mind the constant ragging they get.

Im in teesside myself but bought a ex Kent police car, i couldnt believe how well it had been maintained, just in the process of replacing all parts that have holes in from the plod's equipment

Yellow vrs on ebay currently which is ex Kent too. Had a small fortune spent on it prior to retirement.

The only damage on mine is mainly internal plastics, dash etc which have all been replaced now, exterior a scrape on both bumpers and holes in bump strips from the strobes, as with all ex police vehicles ive seen so far its in excellent mechanical condition, I'm in process of fitting VRS bumpers and having the car resprayed soon should look the biz when its finished, I have a thing about putting my own stamp on my cars 

i have an ex police car but it was used for commuting by the officers between stations so only had 40k on it and was immaculate with full service every 6 months (never had a spot of bother with it), still 1k cheaper than others that i looked at.

The ex traffic cars are certainly the ones to buy...As others have said they are serviced regularly but more importantly they are only driven by advanced trained officers. Part of such training is yes, driving the cars fast, which is what they are built for,but never ragging them (never buy an ex panda car for that reason)..Long gone are the days when they were used for ramming!!

Another reason is that the advanced drivers need to be sure that their cars are up to scratch when they are doing 120 plenty on a vile wet night..So if the car starts misbehaving its faulted and garage have it inspected and /or repaired. It cant be any other way, its their lives at risk..For the most part they are very reliable, especially the Skoda Octavias....used by every Police Force and taxi fleet in Europe  :sun: ..go for it