Calling all 4x4 owners, share your thoughts please.

Hi all.

Questions for you 4x4 boys.

This primarily relates to the 140 or 170 DSG owners but feel free to chip in regardless.

Might have the opportunity to buy a Superb Outdoor Plus, just need to convince the wife it's not too big for her to drive, then, buy her dinner somewhere nice, new handbag, shoes, you know the script...

Anyway, I can't really change motors as often as I would want so my next Skoda really must be a keeper.

I really like the Outdoor Plus, having two largish dogs and often hauling the inlaws around as well, for me it would be ideal.

I'm familiar with the DSG part of it and I know the 170 Diesel is a good unit, the only thing I'm not totally clear on is the 4x4 element. So...

1. Does the transmission have a noticeably detrimental effect on fuel economy / emissions?

2. Are there any significant concerns over long time reliability?

Any comments as always are gratefully received.

Taking out the considerable costs of the handbag, shoes and feed..... :p

1. Mine is a 3.6 so could not compare on economy etc. but I`m happy with what I get at +/- 30mpg

2. I think the Haldex system is well proven unit across the VAG range. Only anxieties have been with 7sp DSG gearboxes. We have had much rain and snow recently and the AWD chassis loaded up on a couple of long trips has been sublime.

Size wise the car feels very good...I had an Ocatavia on hire for a few weeks and the move up is not significant dimension wise. Length is notable difference (not width) and the only option I would look to add is the front parking sensors (I have the rear).

I`m looking for a six year plus ownership option with mine and was sold on outstanding used value, reliability and the fact that it is not a BMW/Audi badge  :giggle:

Go for it (wife costs aside)  :beer:

• Like 1

How I would love a 3.6!

Back to reality, thank you Wile7 for your response, that heps a lot. I'm aware of a few issues with the 7 speed but I guess being a bigger engine with more torque, only the 6 speed is fitted.

I won't be putting up lots of miles per year but I will keep it a long time so I just need to be as sure as I can about these things.

I have a manual 170 4x4 and get low 40s to the gallon (genuine, maxi dot thinks I'm doing a few mpg higher). Mainly I do a 6 mile each way commute but I have several 20-30 mile journeys on top of that each week. I'm sure the 4x4 has some effect on economy given the extra weight to haul around but I'm not disappointed, even coming from a small car that did high-50s to the gallon.

I'm not aware of any long term reliability concerns with the haldex unit, so I'm hoping that proper servicing will see me through the next 5-6 years without issue.

The 4x4 transmission inevitably does impact on the economy, due to the extra weight and lower gearing as well as mechanical drag. My manual 170 has averaged between 42-44 true mpg ( computer says 45-48) depending on how many longer trips I do. I would guess the DSG will be a few mpg less than that again mostly due to extra weight rather than the mechanical losses in the box.

The 4x4 is worth it for lack of wheel spin or torque steer alone, and in poor weather it just feels so secure on the road. Not that I tend to chuck cars about.

Edited by Bristolf2b

I have the 170 4x4 manual gearbox and do 4 to 5 trips from Spain to Aberdeen a year all at the maximum speed allowed and have a lifetime average mileage as per Fuelly of 42.2 mpg with my best average of 45.9 mpg. I'm happy with that!

Hi,

Only done 50 miles in mine so far but straight away it feels more composed on the road and joy of joys for me at least, much less crashy on our terrible local roads.

Must have different spring/damper rates well judged to the extra weight.

Very happy.

Yves

Mine is doing around 6 l/100 km (40ish mpg), but in our weather - 3 months a year of bad skiing weather (summer) - the 4x4 is absolutely must be.

Size: lots of women are driving Mondeos and Mondeo is a huge car (if sitting in front, also the width of the car) compared to Superb.

According to the Skoda website a 170 DSG estate weighs 2142kg, a 170 DSG 4x4 estate 2219kg, so really not much in it, a difference of 77kg, or less than the weight of an average UK male, so you would have thought fairly minimal effect on mpg, and 138 g/km against 149 g/km emissions.

My own opinion is the Outdoor Plus looks great, much better than my 'standard' Superb estate.

Edited by cnc

Hey guys, thank you all for your input, it has been a great help.

I'm getting low40s from my VRS so the economy isn't a problem and you have addressed my concerns over the transmissions.

Thanks again.

M.

I think those weights are max weights, kerb weights closer to 1500kg

Yes, you are right, but the difference is still 77kg, 1581kg vs 1504kg.

Having gone from a chipped VW front wheel drive (2.0 TDI 103kW chipped to 140kW (dyno'd) PD engine) to the Haldex Gen4 (2.0TDI 103kW CR chipped to around 135kW, not dyno'd) I've been spoiled and can't go back to front wheel drive.

The front wheel drive suffered a bit from wheel hop, especially in the wet and the ASR would have to intervene.  The 4WD is a dream, you just point it and go. It's 95% front wheel drive except under acceleration or when traction loss is detected.

It's much more composed on dirt roads and under steers a lot less on those.  In the mud it's great, even on road tyres and you can feel it shoving power around to find some grip.

I can't directly compare the fuel consumption as the Superb is ~100kg heavier than the Jetta, has 17" wheels instead of 16" and the engine is a generation newer (Pump Duesse to Common Rail) but I'm getting around 5.5l/100km on the motorway at a constant 112km/hr and around 6.5 - 6.7 l/100km in urban driving.  That is around the same on freeway as the Jetta and a bit higher in urban driving.  The superb is geared a bit lower than the Jetta, 6th gear is around 150RPM lower so that might help too.

1. Does the transmission have a noticeably detrimental effect on fuel economy / emissions?

According to the figures in the brochure about 3 mpg difference between 4x4 and fwd with the 170 PS DSG.

https://tools.skoda.co.uk/content/brochure/brochure_superb.pdf

As long as the Haldex is serviced every 40k miles it shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of older Haldex equipped cars still going strong.

I'd be more worried about the long term durability of DSG.

I get high 30s to high 40s with my manual depending on outside temperature and length of run.

Spend one year with 4x4 170 HP DSG6.

Fuel economy is 7,3-7,5L/100 km (including 15 min webasto working for 6 months a year). Driving style - aggressive :D 50 city / 50 motorways (120-160 km/h)

Regarding 4x4. If there is no winter where you live, AND you drive on asphalt only, AND you do not have heavy foot, then 4x4 is a bit pointless :)

Hi all.

Questions for you 4x4 boys.

This primarily relates to the 140 or 170 DSG owners but feel free to chip in regardless.

Might have the opportunity to buy a Superb Outdoor Plus, just need to convince the wife it's not too big for her to drive, then, buy her dinner somewhere nice, new handbag, shoes, you know the script...

Anyway, I can't really change motors as often as I would want so my next Skoda really must be a keeper.

I really like the Outdoor Plus, having two largish dogs and often hauling the inlaws around as well, for me it would be ideal.
I'm familiar with the DSG part of it and I know the 170 Diesel is a good unit, the only thing I'm not totally clear on is the 4x4 element. So...

Any comments as always are gratefully received.

Edited by LS108
  • Like 1

Have to disagree with the last statement I'm afraid. When asphalt / tarmac is wet FWD can slip quite easily if you give it some beans. That's especially true if you tow. I adore having 4x4 even though proper winter here is maybe 5 days out of 365. It just goes where you point it.

One comment I've not seen. I'm pretty sure the fuel tank is smaller for the 4x4 to allow for the rear diff. It is noticeable with the slightly higher consumption, that the range isn't fantastic especially when towing.

• Like 1

Ok guys, appreciate your continued input.

I need a DSG for health reasons as I have a dodgy lower back and my wife will use it a fair amount and she has a hip condition making driving a manual impossible without it becoming painful.

The Haldex part of it I like, I was fortunate enough to take a TDF out for a drive round the lanes near me on a damp, miserable Saturday. Despite the road conditions being far from ideal, she took it all in her stride and I found myself driving quicker than I would in my vRS because she was that much more sure footed and confidence inspiring, in short, great fun to drive!

LS108, I get your point but I'm not considering it purely because of its tractive ability although if you had driven round the lanes near me in the winter of 2013, you would be forgiven for thinking an Outdoor was essential!

That said, I am aware of a few people with 4x4 transmissions that prefer the way they drive on Tarmac and never get them near mud.

The other factor is purely aesthetic, I really like the look of the Outdoor, pure and simple! :)

Well my penny's worth opps Koruna.s.       The 4x4 mechanical parts need to to driven from the engine,so a little more fuel is required.

Emissions,well if the emissions were much higher than a standard 2 wheel drive,then the road tax would be higher,i have not checked that but its a guide.

Some say (oh hell I am turning into a top gear nob presenter :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown: ) the extra revolving metalwork on a 4 wheel drive can be heard inside the vehicle,this is possible but my 4x4 is silent.

My car seems its glued to the road,it has never done a wheel spin !.

Remember the superb is a family car,not a rally car or tractor.

This car is a long car and just a little wider than the  Octavia, So for an added help I recommend  park assist if available on your chosen model.I thought it was a gimmick but living in London its so helpful.

Living in London the councils love to install 6 foot 6 inch width restrictions,the suberb sails through these and Mondeo man/woman has to struggle.

Have the dsg6 box on my car,its excellent. Just have it serviced as per the book.

Happy motoring.

LS108, I get your point but I'm not considering it purely because of its tractive ability although if you had driven round the lanes near me in the winter of 2013, you would be forgiven for thinking an Outdoor was essential!

That said, I am aware of a few people with 4x4 transmissions that prefer the way they drive on Tarmac and never get them near mud.

Totally agree, but with the precondition I've mentioned above - you have to be little bit a petrol-head if you want really to enjoy AWD :) I personally like it very much. First of all I can set off with full gas and no wheel spin. Even on naked ice you have to put 100% gas in order to get some wheel spin with TSC ON. Also the car have more balanced weight distribution with Haldex +70kg in the back. 

Unfortunately DSG is programmed to eco driving so it spoils fun little bit. But if needed I can use shift paddles if I want. However the biggest disappointment is global warming, so I had 3 days on the snow this year. And I had to use my lunch breaks for enjoying it, because in the evenings snow was gone already :(

• Like 4

I've got the 140 tour de france , it does 48 mpg on the computer , whereas my 2wd SE does 53 mpg according to the computer. The 4x4 is geared down so it revs slightly higher for a given speed and is slightly less frisky . The gear change on the 4x4 is more notchy , i assume this is due to the extra shafts , if you change slower It's ok both cars are manual btw

My 2c - I'we got a Superb 4x4 from 2012 that is used as a taxi. It has clocked about 275.000 km without any mayor problems.

It did have a weird electrical problem that eventually got solved by basically rebooting the car.

The electric boot just gave in as the opening-motors were not that good to begin with. But the latest revision is supposed to be a lot better.

The automatic gearbox seemed to become a little "rough" not long ago, but an oil-flushing seems to have fixed that.

Any 4x4 will use more fuel than a 2x2, but I think the difference is quite small with haldex. There is also another downside, and that is that you need to exchange the haldex-oil every other service(extra cost).

All said and done, I would have gotten a 2x2 if I had lived where you live. But the 4x4 together with proper winter tires makes it unstoppable. One of my drivers catched up with a gritting-truck on it'w way up a fairly steep hill in winter-conditions. The truck-driver was outside the truck throwing grit in front of it, while my driver could just wizz past him up the hill to the passengers address.

• Like 1

really quick answer .

1. Yes.

2. No.

I also have 2 largish dogs - a Northern Inuit & a GSD & do a trip to the French Alps 4 -5 times a year but needed MORE interior space than the Octavia would give me.  You may be better off with the Octavia 4x4 (Scout!) if you don't require this..

I have a 170 manual 4x4 - I have had Maxidot 'adjusted' to read fairly accurately

I have 2 dogs - Weimeranar and Viszla - in a cage in the rear.

Around town I get low to mid 40's MPG and on a good run (Switzerland) I can get over 50 MPG - Averages not instants, my Consumption 2 reading is 48.2 at the moment.

It snowed a couple of weeks ago on my way back from Harrogate - a BMW X5 driver went off road via 2 cars - I stopped on a hill (Goodyear Efficient Grip - NON winter tyres) and had no issues.

Chris