Calling all 4x4 owners, share your thoughts please.

Manual 170 4x4 here. Three main reasons I bought a 4x4: 1 - used on muddy ground/farm tracks for work, has coped fine so far. 2 - Winter - it has been great in the winter with Nokians on, no problem in Derbyshire snow this year. 3 - handles great in damp/wet weather for a big car, very important as my wife isn't confident with cars other than her own!

And of course the Superb has tons of room - I've used it to move beds, fridge freezers, even the old bath when we refitted the bathroom. Holidays are no longer a battle of what gets taken and what's left behind. Worth every penny for the removal of stress!

• 3 weeks later...

170 4x4 manual for me. In normal conditions it feels very planted although agree with the slightly notchy gear change comment. Where it has come into its own is in winter with winter tyres. Our second car is an audi diesel 2x2 which also gets winter tyres. The superb is far more capable in the snow and ice of a pennine winter. We were thinking of a full 4x4 so the haldex system, although slightly impacting economy, is a very good compromise. It isn't as 'premium' inside as the audi, but overall pretty happy given that it is our family car.

Spend one year with 4x4 170 HP DSG6.

Fuel economy is 7,3-7,5L/100 km (including 15 min webasto working for 6 months a year). Driving style - aggressive :D 50 city / 50 motorways (120-160 km/h)

Regarding 4x4. If there is no winter where you live, AND you drive on asphalt only, AND you do not have heavy foot, then 4x4 is a bit pointless :)

I think this is not the case.

I have been looking at  a Superb with or without 4x4.

The newer Haldex systems - gen 4 and gen 5 - activate the 4x4 at stand still as opposed to the gen 3 - Instant traction version, which usually only kicks in when slip is detected.

So that means that at acceleration only 85 or 70 BHP are pushed through the front axle which has to be better for take off and also tyre life.

Hi, just thought I'd chip in.... maxidot average mpg read 59 today. Not entirely accurate I know, but my best reading so far after 6 months of ownership. A laid back Sunday drive in the country, average 50 - 60 mph.

Car is a 170cr 4x4. Have just removed winter tyres from rear and had brand new pirelli p zero rossos fitted to the front.

I'm happy!

Cheers

Scott

Had the chap fit the extra 40 hp, it's like it's had the governor removed  , a lot more  torque at low revs and when the turbo gets up to speed it bursts into life. It's like a different car, I'd recommend it for the 140

• 1 year later...

Who fitted the extra 40hp?

On 24/04/2015 at 08:23, peterposh said:

Had the chap fit the extra 40 hp, it's like it's had the governor removed  , a lot more  torque at low revs and when the turbo gets up to speed it bursts into life. It's like a different car, I'd recommend it for the 140

I have a 140SE estate after a MK1 Octy vRS - miss the oomph

I have the 3.6 4x4 and fuel economy is nothing short of craptastic around town (lucky to get 20) On the open road it gets closer to 30 though which is the car's more natural habitat.

I never had a 4 wheel drive car before although I've had several high power cars with front or rear wheel drive - Nissan 350z, BMW 330i, 4 x alfa V6's but on this car I'm sold - given the option I would always go for 4 wheel drive in future. Great roadholding in all the kinds of rubbish weather the UK throws at us in winter. 

• Like 1

Hi v6Addict!

I've just taken on a 3 year old 140bhp 4x4 Combi Oil Burner as my wife has got into horse riding and I can see us wallowing round muddy fields and towing a trailer from time to time with loads of gubbins... Apart from being a bit gutless after a vRS (237bhp and loads of torques), it's a great car. On a brim to brim test up to Yerksheer and back, I saw 48mpg at 70mph average (not sure how I managed that!!). Around town the maxidot shows 40+ every day, unless I average 5mph, then it's in the low 30s. I guess your petrol engine just drinks more.

As far as 4x4 is concerned even when it's not snowing(!), I really notice the stability in the rear wheels after a relatively powerful and old FWD car. I'm about to fir a DTE chip to go to 180+bhp and 400+NM torque, so we'll see what happens then!

Based on my 2WD car with over 400 Nm torque, no matter what tyres I'm using I have to take it very easy in 1st and 2nd, and often 3rd if the road is greasy. My next car will be 4WD if it's a Superb.

Edited by psycholist
  • Like 1

Hi, I went from a FW drive 130 PD Superb which was 'ok' on low down power but spun up the fronts quite easily on anything but dry surfaces, to my current 2lr CR 140 4X4 Superb. The 4X4 was fine but was less spirited in power through the range than the PD, so I've had the car remapped to 170+ and it has transformed the drivability. Big + now with the 4X4 is the great grip levels in most conditions even with the extra bph.

Having had FWD and 4X4 in the same model I would hate to go back to 2WD.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Update to the 01-Feb post. DTUK box now fitted and as others have commented, transforms the car. There's now lazy urge where before there was just laziness, and the ability to overtake easily rather than having to spot the gaps. Makes the car much more driveable and therefore safe as it's surefooted with the 4x4 and responsive with the box. The advantage to the DTUK box is the ability to change the profile of the power delivery - I bought a 4x4 because I will (at some stage) have to pull my wife's horse and don't want to frighten the beast with too much acceleration! No sensitivity in my right foot, that's the real problem!

Ive had a 4x4 170 manual for 18 months ,my measured average is about 42-44 mpg and over 30 mpg with the caravan on the back it is completely stable under everything ive thrown at it including towing in snow. These cars are happiest on long fast journeys. Mine gives its best returns on long trips to UK and on holiday, all in all I love it!

On 28/01/2017 at 14:07, CuthbertBear said:

Who fitted the extra 40hp?

I have a 140SE estate after a MK1 Octy vRS - miss the oomph

Just trade in for the v6 - you know you want to! ;)

4 hours ago, spk said:

Just trade in for the v6 - you know you want to! ;)

Can't afford the fuel! Otherwise I would. Mind you, with the DTUK box fitted it does go rather well in a refined sort of way. Bit like a maiden Aunt on a skateboard!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CuthbertBear said:

Can't afford the fuel! Otherwise I would. Mind you, with the DTUK box fitted it does go rather well in a refined sort of way. Bit like a maiden Aunt on a skateboard!

I bet it pulls well :)

I have to admit, mine is a 2011 purchased at a price that gave me quite a saving over slightly newer/lower mileage petrol models on the basis that saving would pay for a lot of motoring, especially VED and fuel! Still from a main dealer with a limited warranty etc. that eased any concerns I had over the DSG in particular.