Issue Questions/ answers - new VRS

Ok rather than me make quiet a few topics i figure i will place them all here...

Im a little anal with cars, and want them running as they should, but im also cheap, so usually look to DIY, but i usually draw the line with anything that takes a lot of freezing my arse on a cold drive way!

So having picked up a VRS for £1800, that has 132,000, remapped to 170(receipt) new clutch, timing belt and water pump 6k ago (receipt) i have a few little niggles

here goes:

(1) ASR  - from reading manual, this is traction control (says you may have ESP also, how do you know?)  - the warning light is on as soon as i press it on, it doesnt come on automatically on igition, as it says in the manual. Warning light remains on, until you turn the ASR button off. - Car has been mapped -  does this effect it? Also works inline with ABS, this goes on to the next issue.

(2) Brakes seem bad under heavy load, inspection shows pads and discs are new, when i say bad, there is no noise as in worn, just they fail to have much impact and feel like they slip.

(3) Head unit sticks out, do they not fit flush? its a piece of crap, but not my main priority. If i can just fit it flush would be a start. - Does not retain memory  - if you set the radio channels. There is a 6 disk cd changer under the passenger seat, this seem redundant is this for the original?

(4) Head Light, side, full, fog... This is all screwed up.. Head lights, side lights work, full beam doesn't, fog lights on all the time( from ignition) rear fog light never comes on (bulbs not blown), spent 30 mins with all the setting... this is how it is lol, i notice crappy LEDs in the sides, could this be having a issue on the circuit.. no idea how old these components are.. I have head light and side lights, i see a third empty light hole...

(5) Interior door light doesn't turn off if set to door open, ive checked all doors, not sure where each contact point is.

Thats it for now, thanks in advance... like i say no point in making several topics. 

I can have this as tiding up other peoples mess topic :p

Edited by FromTheDarkness

I'm not sure about the electrical niggles - it sounds a bit like it's been rewired by a f%^*wit sparky.

Anyway - if you have ASR the button on the centre console says ASR. If you have ESP it says ESP. Simple.

• Like 2

As above about asr

Have you checked brake fluid level?

As for headunit maybe somebody had a diff one in and tried to fit original and just shoved it in perhap cables been broken in process as im sure memory should hold unless wire been cut!

Is the Mainbeam bulb def there lol. Some electrical gremlins goin on

Does the interior light go out once locked of fob?

Was this private or dealership car?

Edited by vzo25
  • Like 1

Get rid of all the terrible LED's and replace with standard bulbs, that should sort out the lights.

The head unit is a tight fit with little room at the back, sounds like it's fouling on a messy wiring bundle preventing it from going home fully.

Sounds like poor quality discs and pads have been fitted on the cheap. Check for vacuum pipe leaks to the servo as well. The standard brakes are poor unless top quality parts are used.

If you want your head unit to keep its memory, swap over the red and yellow cables at the back.

Put the yellow with red and the red with yellow.

• Like 2

Cheers fellas

Ok i have a receipt that states Bora disks, better or worst not sure :p

I will swap over the leds, for standards.. but i dont see this would make the fog lights stay on when all lights turned off, it may well sort the main beam. 

Brake fluid hard to check, i will do a.s.a.p, it seems the erg pipe has blown off there spilling on the reservoir, so its hard to see.. i will check in the morning proper.

head unit is not original, i will take it out check if the loom is fouling behind, and check the red/ yellow wires.

Main beam not sure if there is even a bulb, i have side light bulbs (crap leds) and headlight (normal) is there a separate full beam bulb? usually that's the same bulb as the normal headlight..

the interior light only works when turned on all the time, when on the door setting it never comes on, i see the door open on the dash, for the passenger side, but not the drivers, maybe thats where i need to start?

Ive got vcds lite from my old ibiza, i will have a read up here and get it hooked up, maybe this will shed some light (no pun intended) on some of these issue .. mainly the ASR constant fault message ... btw does anyone know if a remap effects it working/ fault code? Its a really old remap .. done in 2008 by chip it in Carlisle. 

Cheers fellas

Ok i have a receipt that states Bora disks, better or worst not sure :p

I will swap over the leds, for standards.. but i dont see this would make the fog lights stay on when all lights turned off, it may well sort the main beam. 

Brake fluid hard to check, i will do a.s.a.p, it seems the erg pipe has blown off there spilling on the reservoir, so its hard to see.. i will check in the morning proper.

head unit is not original, i will take it out check if the loom is fouling behind, and check the red/ yellow wires.

Main beam not sure if there is even a bulb, i have side light bulbs (crap leds) and headlight (normal) is there a separate full beam bulb? usually that's the same bulb as the normal headlight..

The headlight switch may have failed, push the knob in and turn it, pull and the whole switch will come out so you can test it.

Yes the main beam bulbs are separate.

Does the receipt say what terrible pads were fitted?

• Like 1

The headlight switch may have failed, push the knob in and turn it, pull and the whole switch will come out so you can test it.

Yes the main beam bulbs are separate.

Does the receipt say what terrible pads were fitted?

Ye ive pulled pushed, twisted lol, but when pushed in the fogs go off when i apply pressure, when i let go and it remains in without the pressure the fogs come on .. bit crazy!

Hmm i see a bulbs missing!!  after the normal main, nearest to the centre

No just states pads (europarts) so possibly cheap, there maybe a product code, i will check later.. i have piles of receipts !!

Push in and twist right to remove too test?

Also the rear fog doesn't work, ive checked the bulbs they are intact.

If i was you id get those brake issues done asap. Then electrical probs before things start to drain battery.

Hope you get it sorted

Its booked into the mechanics on Wednesday, was initially to check the under components, drop links, cv joints, bushes, suspension etc .. stuff i cant access so easy on the drive.

Ahh sorry misread that. Couple of possibilities but vcds will show exact fault. Either abs sensor/ring fault or vacuum pipe split which could also cause your weak feeling brakes

Ahh sorry misread that. Couple of possibilities but vcds will show exact fault. Either abs sensor/ring fault or vacuum pipe split which could also cause your weak feeling brakes

I would presume either of these would result in a loss of brake fluid? 

I'm confused here. Does the ASR warning light on the instrument panel come on briefly at ignition? It should then go off, and only come back on again when you press the ASR button on the dash. This is to indicate that you have turned ASR-OFF. Useful in snow conditions.

I'm confused here. Does the ASR warning light on the instrument panel come on briefly at ignition? It should then go off, and only come back on again when you press the ASR button on the dash. This is to indicate that you have turned ASR-OFF. Useful in snow conditions.

That is correct. I think you've misread the same way I did of the opening post

Asr is always on when you press the switch you are switching it off hence why the warning light come on on the dash

I think this hit the nail on the head ... i was looking for a sign it was on, didnt see one, pressed the button = warning sign doesn't go off

so actually i was turning it off, as it was auto on at ignition ... thats even after reading the manual .. oh dear!!

So traction control is working fine.

Not soft per say. Just not as positive feeling a bit like your braking explanation above. But remember without seeing the car and feeling myself it's all a hypothesis. You could need a fluid change or anything really

Re:Brakes

What have your driven previously? I went from an Alfa to the Fabia. First time I 'dropped anchors' on the Fabia I thought the brakes had failed as they didn't have the bite I was used to. However, I actually think they (on the non-VRS) are perfectly adequate for their use, it's the car doesn't have the same weight transfer that I've felt on other cars.

• Like 1

Brakes on my 1.9 ibiza 2001, with drum rears are better,  Ye i know its slower, but if i chuck the ancor out at high speed, the vrs seems to loose grip/ slips ... and i dont really notice abs, i had a 145 cloverleaf before the ibiza that had violant abs, i dont even feel it in the vrs, its like the breaks initially bite then sag..

Also i will add, i dont even know wtf callipers i have they are black.. maybe just repainted, previous eurocarparts states Bora discs, are they the same?

looking at this http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/the-definitive-brake-thread-for-8l-a3-s3-owners-and-other-golf4-platform-cars.96917/

The vrs shares the same brakes as Audi S3 Quattro | Audi TT-Quattro (225hp) | VW Golf anniversary | Golf GTI AUQ | Skodá Octavia VRS | VW Golf V5 170 | VW Golf V6 4 Motion

no way they can be as bad as mine are, will be doing a thourow check tomorrow

No just states pads (europarts) so possibly cheap, there maybe a product code, i will check later.. i have piles of receipts !!

Push in and twist right to remove too test?

Also the rear fog doesn't work, ive checked the bulbs they are intact.

Eurocarparts own brand brake pads; Eicher are truly TERRIBLE, get pagids and replace them right away.

Switch has definitely failed, buy a new one, make sure it's the two-position pull switch, some are only one position.

any 

Eurocarparts own brand brake pads; Eicher are truly TERRIBLE, get pagids and replace them right away.

Switch has definitely failed, buy a new one, make sure it's the two-position pull switch, some are only one position.

any suggestions its bloody £63 from skoda http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-light-switch-2000-2007-37004