Alternator noise, perhaps not alternator

Hello,

Cars (1.6 AEH, 2000 plate) started to make a worn out bearing noises that rises rapidly with revs - having problems trying to work out which bit it is.

Its not present if the car runs without the aux belt so isolated to something on that system - rather than cambelt.

the rapidly rising noises suggests its either the belt tensioner or the alternator, the other two pulleys (AC, PAS) are closer in size to the crank one. that and it doesn't sound like its coming from them.

The alternator (70a) turns freely, if i jam the vanes i cannot turn the pulley either way - is this likely the fault or would a 1.6 from 2000 not have a freewheeling type pulley. this seems to suggest it should turn on way? The pulley is of the longer type with the extra 'bit' (non flush as the presenter says).

the belt tensioner turns easily enough, certainly plenty of spring left in it. the belt runs happily, no bucking or anything.

turning the (manual) AC on doesn't change any of this nor does turning the steering wheel between locks.

i can't tell which it would be - does anyone have any suggestions based on the info above? The alternator is a GSF replacement from about 5 years ago. the tensioner is original. The belt is maybe 2 years old, maybe a little newer and looks fine.

cheers

toby

if the alternator pulley is solid then it's likely the tensioner pulley bearing  you could take it off and try lubing it pry back the bearing shield with a needle  1 drop of oil and a lick of grease--see how it goes

Try the trick my Dad passed on to me. Get a suitable tool like a long screw driver, run the engine, place the blade on the bits in question (obviously on none moving parts only) and then place your ear against the end of the handle. It will work a bit like a stethoscope and you can pin point the noise much easier than guessing. Do be careful about loose clothing, long hair or beard getting caught in any moving parts!

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 1

Hello,

Was the alternator, pulled it all to bits, the tensioner is a bit aged but works fine, the bearings are still all together. Pulled the alternator and its the bearings at the back (the bit behind the black plastic), replaced the whole thing. noise gone.

I didn't think to try the screwdriver thing - would probably have solved it without pulling the tensioner!

Anyway, Thanks for all input,

cheers

toby