My first project - GAZ the Favorit

JonnyHS

Advice please! Got a small tear in a CV boot with a small leak of grease. Reckon it'll get in the way of the MOT. Question is; are the "easy fit" boot kits any good? I've not really got the time to start learning how to take a driveshaft off this week!

Thanks in advance...

Edited by JonnyHS

Yes, it will be an MOT fail.  Stretchy boots are okay.  I've a cone (for stretching) out in my garage, but I prefer to take the CV joint off these days and put an OEM gaitor on.  It's not as hard as you think, an easy DIY job.  Reckon on an hour of your time, taking it steady.

The wrap around and glue CV boots are a waste of time IMO.  Trying to glue them straight has never worked for me and I've felt the need to kill something while trying  :wall:  :@

Gaz

• Like 1

take the CV joint off these days and put an OEM gaitor on.

It's not as hard as you think, an easy DIY job.

By the way, when you say take of the CV, do you leave the driveshaft in place, or remove the whole lot?

As to the second line I quoted, I love the optimism...

Jon

By the way, when you say take of the CV, do you leave the driveshaft in place, or remove the whole lot?

As to the second line I quoted, I love the optimism...

Jon

I prefer to remove the shaft completely so I'm not working down low, with a hub, suspension and wheel arch in the way.  I find it easier to work up on a bench.  Once you've got the driveshaft clear of the hub, it's not much more effort to pop it off the gearbox end and remove it completely.  Personal choice though - it can be done with the driveshaft still on the car, and does save some work.

There are some how-to's on Youtube - worth rummaging around to find one that suits you:

Different cars, but the principles are the same.

Gaz

Brilliant. Thanks so much. I do tend to use youtube a lot, but you can search forever and get conflicting ideas! Good to take a look at loads of different ones!

I'll stop pestering you now, and try to get on with it!

Much appreciated,

Jon

• Like 1

AAAAARRRRGGGGHH!

Want to move into the garage for extended sessions after dark without getting hypothermia (this is Northern Ireland after all, and we had Summer last tuesday afternoon), but after flattening the battery using the headlights to fix the missus' car, I can't.  :doh:

When I first realised it was flat, you could hear the solenoid click-click-clicking. Now, a few days later, nothing at all, but the charger says the battery is fully charged.

Game over battery? The previous owner said it was the best battery he'd ever encountered in all his years as a mechanic, and he got it going after 6 months of inactivity the day I bought it. It would be just my luck to be the one to break it!

Anyway, it's on charge for a few hours despite what the charger says, and if that fails I have 200 yards of steep hill outside the front door...

Stay tuned for more exciting Favorit related calamities...

• Like 1

On charge all day, but only a little more power from the battery. Even bump starting down our ski-slope of an estate didn't work.

RIP battery.

:thumbdown:

Jumping didn't work. Charging didn't work. Bumping didn't work. 

I will ask the lovely man in the big yellow van to try his booster pack later on, which is my last hope. The battery was brought back to life after 6 months of inactivity when I bought the car, so you never know. Must remember never to leave the lights on...

GAZ is back in the drive. The battery is not in good nick, and will need changing. Starts up fine though, so I just need to be very careful, and for the second time in a week, an AA mechanic was smitten. Wouldn't stop talking and looking the car over. Reckons it's as strong as a horse, and ideal for me to use learning what goes where. I will sign off tonight with a quote that would bring a smile to the face of many a Briskodian:

"If it was a £75k Porsche I wouldn't give a s***, but this is different. She's a beauty."

:giggle:

Edited by JonnyHS
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Long hiatus, which upsets me. News and progress are thin on the ground. The MOT ran out, and I STILL haven't got the CV boot changed. I will need some assistance from my local professionals I think. Heat and/or impact wrench may be required.

I spent £150 on an MOT certificate that is valid for 3 months. The downside is I have to drive the rotting Fiesta that came with it, on barely legal tyres and with holes in the rear arches that I can put my whole fist through. Having said that, I am quite enjoying not giving a single **** about dents and dings. I have until August to get a new certificate for the Skoda, which gives me long summer evenings and dry weather. (Please....)

Today saw the first bit of work on GAZ the Favorit for a good many weeks. I have bent the passenger door back into shape, and tightened up the window winding mechanism (thanks to Ricardo for help on my separate thread). All works well and it's now watertight for the first time since I bought it. Driver's door winding issues are more complex, and have posted on that other thread again. Basically, one of the carriers doesn't seem properly attached, so falls down to the bottom of the mechanism, rather than winding up and down with the handle. It had been taped up with parcel tape, which explains why the window wouldn't budge!

I have kept the battery alive, despite the inactivity, which is wonderful news, and I have done some more cleaning and scrubbing, but that is the sum total of my progress.

The main reason for my slowness is that we now have a caravan, unbelievably 10 years OLDER than GAZ, so my attention has been turned to that, and the fitting of a towbar to the missus' Zafira (wiring next). I have kind of backed myself into a corner, as she now thinks I love tinkering with any old thing parked in the drive. Fine in principle, but it makes the to-do list somewhat longer.

Finally, here is a wee picture for your amusement....

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458/jonathansimmance/Caravan%20GAZ_zpsp58bpfoe.jpg

Jon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Summer has arrived; a break from work, long evenings and some nice weather. I have taken the opportunity to attack the patchwork paintwork with some G3 (and a toothbrush for along all the edges/trim/weatherstrips). All by hand, no machine buffer, after I was inspired by someone on Facebook. Here are a few photos to illustrate my progress, but I don't think they really do it any justice. 

The o/s before I set to work:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458/jonathansimmance/Off%20Side%20Unpolished_zps4gu0m7dn.jpg

And the same view after (this was the worse side, and still has some issues when close up):

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458/jonathansimmance/Off%20Side%20Polished_zpsjs1socij.jpg

Here is the n/s. This is the best of many photos I took:
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458/jonathansimmance/Fiesta%20Reflection_zpsnnoen4vf.jpg

And an extreme close up of the same view. Check out that reflection! Yes I do own a Mk4 Fiesta! TEMPORARILY...
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458/jonathansimmance/Fiesta%20Reflection%20very%20close_zpsqy1b8nr4.jpg

I am very happy with the results. I only have the bonnet to do, and it is VERY faded indeed. I will get some fine grade sandpaper if some heavy handed G3 action doesn't work.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458/jonathansimmance/Bonnet%20still%20to%20do_zpsuyqlg9qn.jpg

After that is the fiddly bit. I want to clean all the paintwork between the panels; between doors, under the boot etc. etc. I hate all the years of accumulated grease dripping off the door hinges, and will get my old toothbrushes out again! Also, I have just taken delivery of a new(ish) winding mechanism for the o/s/f door, so the air-con will be fixed soon too....

Edited by JonnyHS
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Bet y'all thought I'd slipped into the can't-be-bothered-now-I've-started category... If truth be told, having 3 youngsters (7,4 and 1) gets in the way a bit, as does moving house, as does being useless at mechanics.

Now we're settled in the new place and the car hasn't got to be moved to get the caravan out (!) I've got cracking again. We moved out into the sticks, and local folk (some even have banjos) have started stopping by to "admire" the Fav. There's a bus driver who rebuilds/rallies Felicias, and has various older models in his stash. He's missing a Favorit, and wants mine. There's also a security guard (formerly a mechanic) who collects random older vehicles. He also wants mine.

I said no. Repeatedly.

Both totally understood, and have helped out most usefully with parts (strut brace!), advice and banter. Advice has also been flowing from within these pages (Favorit Ken and Ricardo M prominent amongst many).

I HAVE FINALLY REPLACED THE CV BOOT!!!!!!!

Finally, as in well over 6 months later. Every bolt thas taken at least a week of penetrating oil, and a great deal of huffing and puffing (plus that tiny window of good Northern Irish weather). After each bolt is loose, I discovered that I didn't have either the right socket or enough wd40 for the next bolt. Then the brakes went on the family 7 seater, so I had to reassemble the Favorit temporarily to get my axle stands back...

I have also replaced the drivers window regulator with a part from Germany, so I have two fully working front windows, neither of which leaks very much. I mean obviously the footwell is still awash after it rains, but it's definitely not coming in the windows. I also managed to fit the strut brace (after taking a bit of advice to jack it up first), but not for any reason other than I had one.

My immediate to-do-list is now as follows.

• Reassemble interior now seatbelt is fixed
  • Clean and scrub interior (especially mouldy upholstery)
  • Bleed/test brakes
  • Replace battery
  • Take it for MOT

There are naturally many more things I will be attempting, but I'm not going to start taking anything else apart until I have a certificate (or at least a list of jobs needed to get one!). I have some pictures for you, but photobucket is being a pain, so later.

Jonny

• Like 1

Good going Jonny. :thumbup:

I've recently got my Felicia up and running again and its such a great feeling. Its also come in very handy this past month as my Dad has been using it while I've been repairing his Yeti after he had an incident involving some ice and a kerb. Its good to keep the older models running.

• Like 1

Back on four wheels after months of axle stands and jacks.

CV%20Boot%20Done_zpswcwj5oa3.jpg

Oh dammit. I forgot to replace the centre cap before taking the picture.

Edited by JonnyHS
  • Like 3

And a wee insight into part of the delay (excuses, excuses, I hear you say.)

http://vid1060.photobucket.com/albums/t458/jonathansimmance/Moving%20House%20GAZ_zpsy1mdpkrr.mp4

So pleased that the quick thinking and confident removals guys thought of a legal way to move my un-taxed, un-insured, un-MOT'd, un-powered car.

Edited by JonnyHS

• 2 weeks later...

Seatbelt assembly going back in. Note the replacement passenger side stalk is Skoda brown, not VAG grey. A little improvisation with washers, but I'm happy it's safe. I will check it again after a few uses. Just got to get the hoover out before I put the trim back together. 

Seatbelt%20Bracket%20Reassembly_zpshbsqy

Good grief.

Just took the hoover out to clean it up before rebuilding the centre console. Decided to investigate why the next bit of console (with the speakers in it) always rattled, so ended up removing a whole heap more plastic!

Hope I can remember how to put it all back together again. 

*note to self: TAKE PICTURES BEFORE DISMANTLING ANYTHING.

Right, it's all back roughly where it's meant to be, and the seatbelt works. As an added bonus I got the passenger door open. That's three doors that open now, even if only one locks as intended.

Replaced%20Seatbelt%20Buckle_zps2tcbbbgw

2%20Working%20Seatbelts_zpsmqdnqpm3.jpg

I only broke one piece of trim (invisible once reassembled) but superglue and tape sorted it enough. The carpet under the trim has been cleaned for the first time in 21 years. I probably should have worn a mask! The replacement speaker (passenger side) is too big, so the cassette holder insert doesn't fit into the centre console if it's properly attached. One bolt loosened gives it enough play to bodge it in. Another job on the list, but not an immediate one. I am encouraged by the ease of access to the stereo and speakers. One day I will have tunes.

Next - battery. Going to top up the existing one, then give it a bloody good charge and see.