Fabia vrs slow coolant leak

Hi - my 04 fabia vrs recently had a coolant leak due to hole in rad. The rad was replaced and at same time I had the coolant expansion bottle replaced as I'm aware of the common sensor fault.

I've noticed after quite some miles the coolant level drops below min and the warning light flashes and beeps. I then have to top the coolant back up.

The garage had it up on the ramp and checked all rad and under car and no leaks could be found. The coolant lose is very very slow.

There is no milky residue on the oil cap.

I'm stumped as to where coolant could be leaking from. Was thinking of adding a uv dye ?

I've also thought about changing temp sensor and gasket situated towards the right side of the oil cap down side of engine in case it's a slow drip that evaporates quickly on a hot engine???

Any ideas guys and gals - cheers

Head lift, HG is starting to blow slightly, it's commonplace.

Hi i have same kind a problem but i didn understand what you mean those areas ..Head lift and what is this HG.....

Sorry to ask but my english is not so good to understand that ... :angel:

Hi i have same kind a problem but i didn understand what you mean those areas ..Head lift and what is this HG.....

Sorry to ask but my english is not so good to understand that ... :angel:

You understand that the (cylinder) block and head are 2 separate components?

"Head lift" is when pressure in the cylinders starts lifting the cylinder head away from the block.

HG is short for "Head Gasket", a thin plate that should seal the block to head joint.

Heater connection pipes can leak at the bulkhead. As can the heater matrix. Assuming "the garage" refilled the coolant with G12 (pink) coolant, there's a tracer dye in that already.

• Like 1

I've got this too - but its been like that for 4 years; there's nothing obvious, an just keep an eye on it and top up when necessary. Sounds ignorant but I've tried to trace it and given up. And now that it could be a common blowing head gasket, I'd like to think it would have happened by now...

You understand that the (cylinder) block and head are 2 separate components?

"Head lift" is when pressure in the cylinders starts lifting the cylinder head away from the block.

HG is short for "Head Gasket", a thin plate that should seal the block to head joint.

Yeah now i got it ! Thank you!! :clap:

pd 150 headbolts as they can be torqued up more than pd130 ones change them 1 at a time and see if that solves it

I've read a fair bit about these and have now ordered some. Anyone had any great success with just doing the bolt change and re torquing ?

i

I've read a fair bit about these and have now ordered some. Anyone had any great success with just doing the bolt change and re torquing ?

it could solve your problem might not worth a try other option is new head gasket

In asnwer to your question, I'm guessing there must be as its a recognised solution - I don't know anything about it myself but hopefully someone will know or there are some guides. Keep searching for it and fingers crosssed you'll come up with something. As its the engine, you don't even have to limit it to Skoda forums - VW/Seat/Audi forusm won't be irrelevant to it either...

If I were to keep the cabin temp on cold would this prevent the heating matrix from leaking if there was a fault with it? I've felt around the area and nothing appears damp/wet. Would doing this help identify if it is the matrix if when I put it on hot the coolant begins to drop?

If I were to keep the cabin temp on cold would this prevent the heating matrix from leaking if there was a fault with it? I've felt around the area and nothing appears damp/wet. Would doing this help identify if it is the matrix if when I put it on hot the coolant begins to drop?

No, the coolant circulates through there constantly. It's the flaps in the air ducting that dictate the source of the cabin air.

Hello member 'capers' did the garage carry-out a water-pressure test, when they were looking for a leak.

Until leak becames heavier just do what you are doing, by keeping a close eye on level and possible leakage from somewhere.

If performance starts to fail, then that could point to an internal problem such as suggested a cylinder head gasket failure. 

In addition to above if the matrix is leaking, then the obvious sign would be a wet carpet in and around the immediate area below.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i

it could solve your problem might not worth a try other option is new head gasket

Thanks mate - finally got around to changing head bolts to PD150. Topped coolant up and been using car for few weeks now including a 2hr motorway drive - success !!!! No coolant loss at all , really pleased. Thanks for the advice!! [emoji106]