water pump failure

My car was loosing coolant and I have been told the water pump needs to be replaced, it has 45k miles and just 3 years old. Is this common and can anyone let me know what I should be paying for this.

Thanks

My car was loosing coolant and I have been told the water pump needs to be replaced, it has 45k miles and just 3 years old. Is this common and can anyone let me know what I should be paying for this.

Thanks

I'd expect to pay around €500 to €550 for water pump plus timing belt (including labour).  The timing belt and water pump are normally replaced together however 45k miles / 72k kms seems low for the belt - you should get around 120k kms out of the belt.  Is the car our of warranty or did you have the two year warranty?  I'd argue strongly if it is just out of warranty and even if it is I'd still push the dealer!  I did it before on an Octavia (for a water pump) that was nearly a year out of warranty and I got the labour free.

I had the water pump and timing belt changed under warranty for the same leak on a 2011 car last year (I had a year's warranty on the car from the garage I bought it from). It goes in for a driver's window regulator this Friday, which will be that last warranty item now that the year is up. They had quoted me €370 for a timing belt change when I was buying the car and I ended up getting it for free thanks to the leak so I can't complain :)... The €370 quote was from Sheehy motors in Naas.

I had the water pump and timing belt changed under warranty for the same leak on a 2011 car last year (I had a year's warranty on the car from the garage I bought it from). It goes in for a driver's window regulator this Friday, which will be that last warranty item now that the year is up. They had quoted me €370 for a timing belt change when I was buying the car and I ended up getting it for free thanks to the leak so I can't complain :)... The €370 quote was from Sheehy motors in Naas.

That's not a bad price.  Skoda (Ireland) like many other brands are doing deals at the moment on timing belts at the moment too.

Had my 2011 61.5K miles booked in this morning for a diagnostic on an EGR problem, I also reported a loss of coolant. Car will have EGR and leaky water pump replaced under warranty plus timing belt if it has been contaminated by the water leak. Although the timing belt is not due for replacement until June 2016 it seems crazy not to have it replaced now. Dealer also agreed to upgrade the Columbus to latest spec as well FOC. Pricing for a timing belt change is less than £400 so a bit more with the water pump as well I guess. So it does appear to be common. I believe you can get an uprated water pump but not sure if Skoda would do this.

I just got back from the dealer and they said the belt does not need to be replaced just the pump as a goodwill they are giving me 70% on the part and 50% on the labour. Skoda Ireland were not interested when I called them. I just feel that for a part that failed I don't see why I should be €170  out of pocket. 

Edited by Cultaca

The timing belt has to come off the replace the water pump so you might as well have them stick in a new one while they're at it. I take it the car is just out of its 3 year warranty? The belt on its own isn't silly money, the fitting cost is mostly labour to dig in as far as it in the engine bay.

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/cam-belt/skoda-octavia-1z3-1-6-tdi-105hp_v31590_g306.html

A full kit with all the idlers and so on isn't that cheap though I've no idea whether all these are replaced when doing a basic timing belt replacement: http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=Gates~~~Contitech&fffDepartment=Timing%2BBelts&fffMake=skoda&fffBasemodel=skoda%20superb&fffModelDescription=superb%202008%20onwards&ffftd_car=1.6%20tdi&fffBHP=105 

Edited by psycholist

No self respecting mechanic ever puts an old belt back on regardless so always replace it even if it looks good still, it's not the condition it's the disturbing it from it's wear in position that makes re-using it risky.