Bought 2003 Superb - Have a few Qs.

Hi.

I bought a 2003 Superb 1.9TDI AWX 5 Speed for a runabout to work. Brilliant car and engine for the money they are going for these days!

I have googled and searched on here and other forums for answers to a few problems I'm having but I still have a few problems:

1. Rear parking sensors are giving a long beep. I've put my ear to all of them and they all click which indicates theyre all working fine. A scan on VCDS says "short to ground" for all 4 sensors.

2. Oil leak around EGR area. I'm near sure this is the EGR leaking - is it just as simple as buying a new one?

3. I had the water ingress problem and have sealed the pollen filter and am in the process of drying out the carpet. The CCM was dry and I only had to repair one wire but the interior lights still aren't coming on when you open the doors. They come on manually with no problems.

5. The drivers seatbelt isn't retracting back properly. I have to feed the seatbelt in myself. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks for your help.

Hi.

I bought a 2003 Superb 1.9TDI AWX 5 Speed for a runabout to work. Brilliant car and engine for the money they are going for these days!

I have googled and searched on here and other forums for answers to a few problems I'm having but I still have a few problems:

1. Rear parking sensors are giving a long beep. I've put my ear to all of them and they all click which indicates theyre all working fine. A scan on VCDS says "short to ground" for all 4 sensors.

2. Oil leak around EGR area. I'm near sure this is the EGR leaking - is it just as simple as buying a new one?

3. I had the water ingress problem and have sealed the pollen filter and am in the process of drying out the carpet. The CCM was dry and I only had to repair one wire but the interior lights still aren't coming on when you open the doors. They come on manually with no problems.

5. The drivers seatbelt isn't retracting back properly. I have to feed the seatbelt in myself. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks for your help.

I can't help much with 1 - 4, but as for question 5, I've had a similar problem with mine and found wiping the seatbelt down with a bit of furniture polish on a rag seems to reduce the friction and help a bit. I seem to remember I found this tip online somewhere, so you may want to research it just in case

• Like 1

1. You may need to cycle the power to the parking sensor control module.  I had a dodgy sensor on mine, it would work for 2-3 weeks then pack in and would not come back to life until the control modules power connector had been removed and replaced then it was ok again for a while.

It's behind the right hand side trim piece in the boot near the rear lights.  With the ignition off just unplug then replug back in.  It might clear the fault if it's stuck in memory.  If it's genuine then this will do nothing!

2.  A new EGR valve and gaskets should solve this.

Give up on the OEM sensors!:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/240366-parking-sensor-failure-oh-for-goodness-sake-the-oem-undertray-epilogue/?hl=+for%20+goodness

I remember the seatbelt tip Flurry referred to - might have been over on UKPassats?  I pulled mine out gave it a good clean and polish (ooo-errr!) and it's much improved.  

Is question no.4 about me? - is that why I can't see it?  :blush:

Gaz

Cheers for all the help fellas!

I cleared all the fault codes, went for a drive, re-scanned and it seems only one parking sensor is faulty so I've ordered one from eBay.

Haven't had much time to look at the other problems but I think I'll be ordering a new EGR valve soon.

Gaz - I seem to have forgotten how to count! Number 4 was meant to be about an ABS error I was getting but the sensor was just loose I think. It cleared itself after a short drive.

Just replaced the faulty sensor with a brand new one and the fault is still coming up for the rear left sensor. It's saying:

"01545 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Left (G203) 03-00 - No Signal"

Any advice? Faulty wiring or module?

Just replaced the faulty sensor with a brand new one and the fault is still coming up for the rear left sensor. It's saying:

"01545 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Left (G203) 03-00 - No Signal"

Any advice? Faulty wiring or module?

Some people in the German forums say that unplugging and cleaning the pins with oil/contact spray helps. It never worked for me, but I guess it would be worth a try.

Any advice?

[cough] 'Give up on the OEM sensors!'

I bought a new one too before I gave up.  My ebay cheap set are still working fine, no errors and have caused no errors.

​Just saying'  :notme: 

Gaz

• Like 1

Some people in the German forums say that unplugging and cleaning the pins with oil/contact spray helps. It never worked for me, but I guess it would be worth a try.

[cough] 'Give up on the OEM sensors!'

I bought a new one too before I gave up.  My ebay cheap set are still working fine, no errors and have caused no errors.

​Just saying'  :notme: 

Gaz

You'll never guess what the problem was..

Did some googling and it turns out some looms were wired from left-to-right instead of right-to-left, so my RIGHT sensor was broken despite VCDS saying it was the left one that was broken! Problem solved.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Okay so my interior lights decided to all fail. Had to dig up the rear passenger carpet and it turns out there is a "join" where about 8 black and red wires are crimped together. This join corrodes with water ingress and the lights fail. So I got them all soldered up and now they work!

My final problem is concerning the lights coming on when I open the doors, and I think it is possibly linked to a module in the doors. Basically all the interior lights work fine apart from the fact they do not come on when you open the doors - this is for both front and rear. Would anyone have a definitive solution for this?

Thanks.

EDIT: My interior monitors (alarm sensors?) are also goosed. VCDS won't even connect to the module so I'm not even sure where to start with that!

Edited by jordy_wd

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP

Has anyone any tips on the above re the interior lights not coming on when the door opens?

I also have some clutch judder when moving off in first gear, but no bad vibrations at idle so I'm thinking just the clutch is needing replaced?

When braking the car has some vibrations and I'm thinking warped discs? Or even engine mounts?

Any advice is appreciated.

Can't help you with the lights.

My old Mk2 Golf GTI started to judder in first (no slip) and it was the first signs of the clutch wearing out.

Brakes - I'd agree warped discs are a likely candidate, engine mount less so (IMO), particularly if it changes with speed.

Gaz

Can't help you with the lights.

My old Mk2 Golf GTI started to judder in first (no slip) and it was the first signs of the clutch wearing out.

Brakes - I'd agree warped discs are a likely candidate, engine mount less so (IMO), particularly if it changes with speed.

Gaz

Cheers for the help. I'm aware of the DMF issues but there are no other issues apart from some judder so yea I think clutch  :thumbup:

I'll give the brakes an overhaul at some point.

If anyone else can chime in with insight into why the interior lights don't turn on when I open the doors it would be great!

The car really is a cracker for how little I got it for. The 130 AWX engine is brilliant, and with the remap it's a great mile-muncher!

EDIT: My interior monitors (alarm sensors?) are also goosed. VCDS won't even connect to the module so I'm not even sure where to start with that!

I don't think there is a separate interior monitor controller - I think it is all done via the CCM - Central Convenience - address 46.  

If your interior monitors don't work, and neither do your interior lights - which are all managed by the CCM - I'd be poking around your CCM a bit more to try and investigate (if it was me looking...!)

A poke around the measuring blocks in VCDS for the CCM would show if the CCM knows the doors are open, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is a separate interior monitor controller - I think it is all done via the CCM - Central Convenience - address 46.  

If your interior monitors don't work, and neither do your interior lights - which are all managed by the CCM - I'd be poking around your CCM a bit more to try and investigate (if it was me looking...!)

A poke around the measuring blocks in VCDS for the CCM would show if the CCM knows the doors are open, for example.

The CCM seems to be completely in check which is the weird thing - measuring blocks show it knows when doors are open/closed. All the interior lights work manually, it's just they don't come on when I open any of the doors. And the footwell lights work perfectly with opening/closing of doors.

This is the only fault code:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 46: Central Conv.        Labels: 1C0-959-799.lbl
   Part No: 1C0 959 799 B
   Component: 5F Komfortgerát HLO 0003  
   Coding: 00259
   Shop #: WSC 00028  
   VCID: 36693801125C5C9

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1C2959802
   Component: 5F Tõrsteuer.FS KLO 0009  

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1C2959801
   Component: 5F Tõrsteuer.BF KLO 0009  

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 3U0959811
   Component: 5F Tõrsteuer.HL KLO 0009  

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 3U0959812
   Component: 5F Tõrsteuer.HR KLO 0009  

1 Fault Found:
01135 - Interior Monitoring Sensors 
            36-00 - Open Circuit

I think you're going to need to grab the schematics and a meter and have a probe around.

The signal to turn on all the interior lights comes from the CCM, and goes around the houses a bit it seems (to all the door mirrors, the front and back ceiling lights, etc).

Skoda ERWIN website can supply you all the schematics as PDFs which will give you all the docs you need to try and trace the signals - including pin numbers, wire colours, etc. Costs about a fiver for an hour's access and you get to keep the PDF's forever.