Driverless cars,,,,,,,,,,,

@Lee

JC brought up the subject last night on TG about how driverless cars would have to make a decision about 'who to kill'.

Laughable during the programme but, give it a bit more thought,,,,,,,, Would a driverless car make the decision to kill the driver (not the driver of a 'driverless' car) or kill pedestrians in the event of a crash/ RTC. Who would be at fault? The car manufacturer, the software developer etc etc.

Discuss, while I sit back and have a beer.

Concepts, they rarely get into production, that's all I see these as. Can only see them being used in a controlled environment if used, let loose on the roads with normal vehicles is madness.

Concepts, they rarely get into production, that's all I see these as. Can only see them being used in a controlled environment if used, let loose on the roads with normal vehicles is madness.

lots of conceptual tech was seen as just a concept, yet has made it to production and is now considered standard.

lots of conceptual tech was seen as just a concept, yet has made it to production and is now considered standard.

Agree, but a whole car that drives itself, can't see it myself.

Also will it be a free pass way to murder someone? Think about it.. follow the person you plan to murder when they're walking alone by themselves then jump out with a friend in front of a car when the car can only go towards them or you. The car runs them over. "Sorry officer I didn't see the car". Maybe hitmen in the future will infact just need a friend to assist with jumping out in front of cars? It could revolutionize their industry...

...Although I suppose after the 50th case of someone getting run down and you and your buddy happen to be involved someone may get suspicious.

Agree, but a whole car that drives itself, can't see it myself.

Its almost there already. Lane assist, adaptive cruise controll and that new system mercedes use. Give it a few years, and cars will take you were you want while you Enjoy a pint in backseat.

• 1 year later...

The associate professor of engineering at Swinburne University in Melbourne, from a conference on the driverless car, was discussing this subject this morning and the intention is that 'driving' will be illegal as, it seems, AI and human frailty are like oil n water.

Bit late for me, but I wouldn't want to be a young enthusiast.

Enjoy whilst you can.

• 6 months later...

Much like now I suspect that legally the driver will always have to be in the position of taking control of the car. Like Tesla's disclaimer.

So if you buy a car in 2025 with 'autopilot' (probably called co-pilot, no clear name that implies it's driving for you) and you have a bump and they find out you were asleep in the back seat / drunk / fumbling with yer burd, you'll be charged with some version of a motoring offence.

Edited by Aspman

The legislation being worked on is to make the act of interfering an illegal one.

Crossing the road is going to be stressful for me if I'm around by then in 5 - 10 years.

Much like now I suspect that legally the driver will always have to be in the position of taking control of the car. Like Tesla's disclaimer.

So if you buy a car in 2025 with 'autopilot' (probably called co-pilot, no clear name that implies it's driving for you) and you have a bump and they find out you were asleep in the back seat / drunk / fumbling with yer burd, you'll be charged with some version of a motoring offence.

surely perm' only any two out of three :sun:

And some totally glossed over questions about radar control - people and flocks of birds are radar translucent (or transparent, depending on radar band) and it's vital that you brake for the one but the other can be presumed to get out of your way!

What about animals that dash or crawl across the roads?.

Are they all programmed to run them over? How?.

Kangaroos can be sighted from outside radar scan but what does the 'passenger' do if it's illegal to interfere?.

Good idea in theory

Looking at some of the driving around my side roads, I'm almost of the opinion that there's a lot of driverless cars around at the moment.

Not sure anyone's clocked the end of expensive down town parking with driverless cars too!

If you think about it, electric cars cost pence to run but parking costs many pounds per hour. So with a driverless car just press 'orbit' (or give it a circular route to navigate that lasts as long as you need) and head off to Primani whilst your car circulates in traffic. When you're done just press 'return' and hey presto your car comes to you and there's no longer expensive parking fees or fines to consider.....and who really cares if your driverless car's stuck in increased traffic? Certainly not you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...