New engines for Yeti from week 22

RapidRonnie

From Skoda Geneva Motorshow press kit:

The ŠKODA Yeti will be available from the end of May with new EA 211-series 1.2 and 1.4 TSI petrol engines: 81 kW (110 PS) 1.2 TSI, 92 kW (125 PS) 1.4 TSI and 110 kW (150 PS) 1.4 TSI. The new EU6 diesel engines (EA 288) for the Yeti will be the 81 kW (110 PS) 2.0 TDI and the 110 kW (150 PS) 2.0 TDI. The 125 kW (170 PS) 2.0 TDI will be discontinued.

Bit of a shame there are not more powerful petrols and diesels available any more, but the 150TSI is not far short of the old 1.8 and should be a lot more economical.

• Like 2

Very interestibg. I've recently ordered a 140PS 4x4 Yeti and would have loved a Euro 6 diesel 150PS. However week 22 is 3+months away. Anyone got efficiency data on these new (and overdue IMO) engines?

Oh dear...... I was planning on my next Yeti being a 170 TDI in Tangerine.

The colour has just vanished from the configurator ,and now the !70 is going.

I'll have to see if there are any 170's in the pipeline..

Tangerine was an option again? They dropped that late in 2011.

I was hoping the 184PS engine might make an appearance, though I'm a few years off wanting to change yet.

Update: Or did you mean Bronze, as that has gone :(

Edited by dbg400

I wonder if the 150DSG will finally get stop start? But a real shame they dropped the 170...  BUT they might later add the 185? In the other ranges the 140 became the 150 and the 170 the 185... so let's hope!

I wonder if the 150DSG will finally get stop start? But a real shame they dropped the 170...  BUT they might later add the 185? In the other ranges the 140 became the 150 and the 170 the 185... so let's hope!

"From the end of May: all ŠKODA models will feature EU6 engines; Stop-Start technology and brake energy recovery will be standard"

From Skoda Geneva Motorshow press kit:

The ŠKODA Yeti will be available from the end of May with new EA 211-series 1.2 and 1.4 TSI petrol engines: 81 kW (110 PS) 1.2 TSI, 92 kW (125 PS) 1.4 TSI and 110 kW (150 PS) 1.4 TSI. The new EU6 diesel engines (EA 288) for the Yeti will be the 81 kW (110 PS) 2.0 TDI and the 110 kW (150 PS) 2.0 TDI. The 125 kW (170 PS) 2.0 TDI will be discontinued.

Bit of a shame there are not more powerful petrols and diesels available any more, but the 150TSI is not far short of the old 1.8 and should be a lot more economical.

Wonder what drivetrain (4x2/4x4, auto/manual) options these will come with out of the factory, and what subset Skoda UK will decide to offer?

Also interesting to see they don't mention the 1.6TDi - either it carries on in old spec, or is dropped?

I suspect that either of the 150PS engines will still give a decent drive, especially with the petrol one having better lower-down torque than previously, judging from the same engine in other VW models.

But I also suspect that this is yet another interim step - assuming that there is a Yeti II version comparable in size to the current one (ie not the larger 7-seater) available in about 18 months time then wouldn't we expect it to be 100-200kg lighter perhaps (ie as with other recent VW model introductions)? So the power to weight with a 150PS engine won't be dissimilar to the current CR170 Yeti.

Afraid that I've now made the decision to jump ship and have a 180PS TFSi Q3 quattro on order for April delivery. It won't have the same character as the Yeti that's for sure, but it does give me a more powerful petrol engine and remedies some of the Yeti shortcomings like limited refinement. It seems like every announcement re the Yeti in recent months has been a negative one, from the minimal changes to the FL model (other than the cosmetic one), only brown seats on the L&K, removal of Columbus as a satnav, now the pending removal of higher-power engines. It does look very much like VW trying to micromanage Skoda into a smaller and less threatening niche.

• Like 3

The new 150PS diesel is available in the Audi Q3. There with 6 speed and quattro system it returns CO2 134g/km. An impressive result and one the Yeti might get close to though it's not quite as aerodynamic.

I wonder if the new 150PS engines will only be available in the posh/expensive spec like the CR170 and 1.8TSI are.

One of the criticisms of the Yeti (and some other models) in the motoring press is that Skoda is lagging behind in terms of emissions, and therefore considerably higher road fund licence compared with the competition.

I guess that the new range of engines is intended to remedy this. As far as Skoda is concerned, if it's necessary to drop ultimate power output to achieve lower emissions across the range, then it's an easy decision to make.

What's not to like about this announcement? - better fuel economy and IMO stronger petrol engines without being forced towards the inefficient 1.8 4x4.

The 1.2 105 was always going to be a bit weedy for my personal circumstances.

It has made the Yeti a lot more attractive to me.

Yes, I certainly think this is good news. The questions I have are which engines will get 4x4, which trim level each engine will be available in and how the reliability of these engines compare with the old.

Yes, I certainly think this is good news. The questions I have are which engines will get 4x4, which trim level each engine will be available in and how the reliability of these engines compare with the old.

That there is the beauty of the VAG family's black sheep getting all the latest tech last. By the time poor Škoda gets the engines there should be no reliability problems as the VW and Audi owners have done all that for us. :)

• Like 1

Mmmm.  If the 170PS is being discontinued, does that mean that the larger brakes fitted to the 170 will also be discontinued.

If so, there must be an assembly cost reduction in parts. And a case of, one size fits all.

Should we take this to mean available to order from week 22, or rolling off the production line from week 22?

I'm just about convinced by the Yeti, but haven't decided on new or used. More info on these revisions might sway me one way or the other.