New engines for Yeti from week 22

RapidRonnie

Week 22 is last week of May, so I guess anything ordered from mid April onwards could expect to get a new engine delivered at the end of June at the earliest. I'm very interested in the efficiency of these new engines, especially how much better the 150TDI is than the old 140 and 170. I just fear it'll be associated with a price hike.

Presumably the 150PS engine is the same/similar to the one in the Octavia III. In 4x4 guise that is around 10 mpg better than the 140/170 - it'll not get quite there in the Yeti, but should offer a reasonable improvement. http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/new-octavia-estate/performance

I would seriously hope a price REDUCTION when it comes to any of the old 170 models.... as you are losing out on 20 whole horses.  I would not even want to pay much more over a 140 to be honest as the 10 new horses are negligible over the 140 and most all tests moan that the VAG DSG stop start is pretty rubbish at starting again when you want to drive off.... So might be more of a hindrance than a gain too.  It gives the brochure fuel consumption figures a boost but in real life most people switch it off (if you have a DSG) and never switch it on again. It works fine on a manual but there is no way I will ever go back to my main car being a manual.

• Like 1

+1 Martin. I popped into my dealer on sunday for a quick chat about it.

They knew nothing ,but will keep me updated.

While I was there I had a drive in their Octavia III demo TDI 150.

It was impressively quiet and smooth,you wouldn't know it was a diesel really.

Good mid range torque as well.

... They knew nothing ...

Pretty much sums up my experience of dealers, and having to interact again with main dealers is one of the mains reasons I wouldn't want to buy new.

My perfect Yeti would be a 150 PS TDi 2WD DSG version, but there's nothing to suggest that's on the cards.

I need decent towing capability but not 4WD so also considering a used 110PS that I can have remapped. Just means sticking to manual transmission and missing out on some of the other extras I'd spec on a new car.

Decisions, decisions ... :)

• Like 1

I too would like the option of 2WD 150PS Yeti. My perfect Yeti would be around 15cm longer (bigger boot similar to the size of my Fabian estate boot), option of factory fit All Season tyres, more colour options and NO electronic parking brake!

I wish Skoda UK would be more adventurous in the options front. Looking at the Skoda's home market website there are a lot more combinations/optiions that we should be able to choose. Mind you no different from the VW German website where you can spec, for example, a 1.6 TDi 4WD Golf.

Given what's going on politically with diesel emisions I think long term diesels in cars are dead.

Dead is far too strong a word. CO2 is still king and diesels are giving a lot more miles per unit CO2.

For example the 108bhp 1.6 TDI Octavia Greenline is 85g/km, whereas the 103bhp 1.2 TSI 115g/km. 35% more.

I think we might see a reduction in small diesels in city cars.  There little petrol engines make more sense, but we've got a very long way to go before petrols displace diesels.

• Like 4

I was hoping the VAG 3.0 V6 Tdi linked to a DSG box with AWD was an option but this will never happen.

The way Skoda are going they will soon be a small engine low power car producer, it has already started with the Fabia 3, no VRS, small turbo petrol engines and a weedy 1.6 diesel.

Poor show Skoda, this is the reason why I no longer own a Skoda.

Dead is far too strong a word. CO2 is still king and diesels are giving a lot more miles per unit CO2.

For example the 108bhp 1.6 TDI Octavia Greenline is 85g/km, whereas the 103bhp 1.2 TSI 115g/km. 35% more.

I think we might see a reduction in small diesels in city cars.  There little petrol engines make more sense, but we've got a very long way to go before petrols displace diesels.

Given that many drivers will be making shorter journeys starting from cold, I really do wonder if the real-world difference in MPG is as large as 35%. And then you have to look at the NOx and particulate figures, which will be quite a counterbalance in favour of petrol. And then what will the longevity of EU6 diesels be like and then EU7? 

Personally I think that the jury is out but it won't surprise me at all for the running cost-benefit pendulum to swing back into petrol's court.

Given that many drivers will be making shorter journeys starting from cold, I really do wonder if the real-world difference in MPG is as large as 35%. And then you have to look at the NOx and particulate figures, which will be quite a counterbalance in favour of petrol. And then what will the longevity of EU6 diesels be like and then EU7? 

Personally I think that the jury is out but it won't surprise me at all for the running cost-benefit pendulum to swing back into petrol's court.

It looks like the rising trend for diesels has halted and is now likely to decline. It seems that the NOx and particulates problem will require ever more expensive diesel technology which is likely to widen the price difference between petrol and diesel to the point where unless you are doing 20,000+ miles a year then the cost benefit will favour petrol.

The fuel that never seems to be discussed much anymore is LPG, wonder why not?

• Like 1

I know it's becoming more popular to have stop/start technology ,but if was an option it would not be for me,for the small amount of fuel saved against the extra wear and tear on the battery/starter motor/fly wheel etc appears to defeat any gains.

• Like 1

I know it's becoming more popular to have stop/start technology ,but if was an option it would not be for me,for the small amount of fuel saved against the extra wear and tear on the battery/starter motor/fly wheel etc appears to defeat any gains.

You are assuming they just add stop-start to a standard car. They don't. Stop-start cars have different batteries, starter motors and all sorts to compensate for the very thing you're worried about there. So this premature wear is a moot point tbh.

By which time I expect technology to have solved the "noxious" diesel emissions as it did with CO2.

Fred

Sad555, on 12 Mar 2015 - 09:47, said:

You are assuming they just add stop-start to a standard car. They don't. Stop-start cars have different batteries, starter motors and all sorts to compensate for the very thing you're worried about there. So this premature wear is a moot point tbh. You have just confirmed what I said(the cars have different batteries,starter motors)agreed they might be different but as it is something I dont want or need as I said not a required option for me and as Skoda's can be a bit sensitive to voltage drop its going to take a good battery and the system does not appear particularly good with cold diesel cars,as I said it would NOT be on MY option choice,also ( premature )was your word not mine.

I have stop/start on my BMW 116d, it really does't make much difference to me, it just becomes part of day to day driving, stop at the traffic lights the engine stops, dip the clutch and it starts, it starts if the steering wheel is turned or if the car rolls forward too.

Sometimes it does not stop, it continues to tick over if it is cold or the lights, wipers, heater and heated windscreen are all on.

From a reliability point of view my car has done 50,000 miles in 2 1/2 years with no issue at all.

IF you don't need or want it and it is a standard feature you can turn it off.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm petty dubious about long term reliability of stop-start technology.

had it on my fabia GLII for the nearly 3 years I owned it, never failed to restart the car in all that time

swmbo had it on her citigo greentech elegance for the 18 months she owned it,

starters and batteries appear to be uprated to take into account the additional number of starts required, but unless you do a lot of driving in rush hour traffic the saving is minimal,

for me start stop is more likely to be a mechanism to get lower results on the government emissions tests as they have idle times etc

my i20 doesn't have it and I do miss it

It looks like the rising trend for diesels has halted and is now likely to decline. It seems that the NOx and particulates problem will require ever more expensive diesel technology which is likely to widen the price difference between petrol and diesel to the point where unless you are doing 20,000+ miles a year then the cost benefit will favour petrol.

The fuel that never seems to be discussed much anymore is LPG, wonder why not?

I did a lot of research when I was looking at replacing my GLII

I looked at purchase cost (additional £2000 for a diesel of same power in fabia III) looked at MPG both urban (most realistic figure) and real life from my 75PF TDI against wifes 75PS citigo and be honest less the 5 mpg on it and about 0.7p per mile difference

at which point diesel becomes uneconomic based on running costs and taking into account premium of £2000 for the engine in the purchase cost

most of the MPG is lost due to all the additional emissions control tech required to reduce particulates and now NOx for EU6

LPG has it own pluses and minuses like cost of conversion or additional premium if factory option, tank normally replaces spare wheel, I think there are some restrictions on links like Eurostar / Eurotunnel for LPG vehicles but it is cheaper, not sure about cost per mile

Stop start systems work perfectly fine on a manual car with that big "you need to switch on now" switch called the clutch pedal. The DSG version does not have that "switch" and by all accounts from what I've read stop-start on a DSG is utter, utter sh***. Especially VAG's.

• Like 1

They sound very much like the present VW engines, I wonder if the 1.4TSI will have the Active Cylinder Technology?

Good question.  If they were to add ACT as well as stop-start to the EA 211 engine, the Yeti would finally have a truly competitive modern engine.

Sadly, they aren't going to. Skoda's Head of Press tells me that ACT is going to be available only on the Superb 'for the moment'.  I suppose that last phrase might mean the Yeti will get ACT when the all-new model appears.

By which time I shall have bought something else.

From Skoda Geneva Motorshow press kit:

The ŠKODA Yeti will be available from the end of May with new EA 211-series 1.2 and 1.4 TSI petrol engines: 81 kW (110 PS) 1.2 TSI, 92 kW (125 PS) 1.4 TSI and 110 kW (150 PS) 1.4 TSI. The new EU6 diesel engines (EA 288) for the Yeti will be the 81 kW (110 PS) 2.0 TDI and the 110 kW (150 PS) 2.0 TDI. The 125 kW (170 PS) 2.0 TDI will be discontinued.

Bit of a shame there are not more powerful petrols and diesels available any more, but the 150TSI is not far short of the old 1.8 and should be a lot more economical.

Ah, just twigged that with EU6 being compulsory from Sept 2015, this is Skoda leaving it to the last minute to deliver the compliant diesels in the Yeti. Ho hum. Presumably the DSG stays 6speed for the diesels too?