flashing (p) and turbo whine

Hi all , having a few issues with my Vrs. My main concern is the lack power, there seems to be a horrible vooo sound when on idle and till around 1800 rpm, boost actual and request are met on vcds but there's no power and really lacking tourqe. Maf, map, ctc and tandem pump has been changed. I do notice heavey blue smoke on starup till engine is warm. Also I have removed the turbo and cleaned and checked for shaft play but there doesn't seem be any. Turbo is an gt1759vb and was purshased 2 years ago. Could this bE down to a bad oil seal?

My othere problem seems to be the flashing handbrake sign with a constant beep, this only accurs she. It's wet or my front wheel are spinning in wet weather.

Thanks for any help

Blue smoke I'd associate with light oil consumption, more likely valve stem seals or worn bores than turbo seals (which can give white smoke of James Bond proportions).

You could check the boost pressure in VCDS or if you've not been there AwesomeGTi in Irlam are good and honest.

HB and ASR have separate warning lights, so HB makes me wonder about worn front brake pads rather than ASR.

Thank for the quick response, well I have a spare turbo what I know works well, I think I'll change it and see how t thing go, I have full version of vcds it's just not picking any faults up. The only thing I have noticed is boost pressure at idle is 996.0 when requested is 1070, I remember my idle boost being around 1050. And checked all over for boost leaks and fitted around 20 t bolt clamps lol. As for the brakes you could be right as my pedel is hard and fails to stop if I slam the brakes on. It's like braking on ice in dry weather

Flashing handbrake sign means ur brakes are leaking I believe mate.

Flashing handbrake sign as well as a beeping noise is 'Low brake fluid level'. Usually caused by a brake fluid leak.

On a dry day: Get behind each wheel and check around the calipers and all hoses for any moisture. Also you could tighten (but not too much!) all four bleed nipples in case one of them is letting fluid out.

JRJG

Hi, just jacked the car up and had a nosey, all caliper seem dry, fluid is at max but near side wheel bearing has play so this could possible be the cause ? I'm just in the proses of bleeding the brakes in vcds

I don't see why a wheel having play in it would lead the car to think it has low brake fluid? Hmmm...

JRJG

Thank for the quick response, well I have a spare turbo what I know works well, I think I'll change it and see how t thing go, I have full version of vcds it's just not picking any faults up. The only thing I have noticed is boost pressure at idle is 996.0 when requested is 1070, I remember my idle boost being around 1050. And checked all over for boost leaks and fitted around 20 t bolt clamps lol. As for the brakes you could be right as my pedel is hard and fails to stop if I slam the brakes on. It's like braking on ice in dry weather

Flashing handbrake sign as well as a beeping noise is 'Low brake fluid level'. Usually caused by a brake fluid leak.

On a dry day: Get behind each wheel and check around the calipers and all hoses for any moisture. Also you could tighten (but not too much!) all four bleed nipples in case one of them is letting fluid out.

JRJG

I'm thinking vacuum leak rather than fluid leak, partly from the dry calipers and partly from the hard pedal. This could also account for a loss of boost pressure.

I'm thinking vacuum leak rather than fluid leak, partly from the dry calipers and partly from the hard pedal. This could also account for a loss of boost pressure.

double checked many times today, i removed the hard pvc pipe frpm the tandem pump and removed the other end from the servo had a good look for cracks etc and nothing :(  vacuum on ide it's 26 inhg from the tandem and 29 at the vac res and 19 inhg from the vacuum box what controls the solidnoids.

it's really annoying me now its  got worse over the past 3 months... currently getting 20mpg around town and 34 on the motorway. the exhaust note has changed, it's alot deeper with less turbo whistle.

something not right and i cant get my head around what it is atm. i bought the car with loss of power but i gave it a service and changed all filters / oil etc along with maf/ map/ ctc/ and it fixed my problem the car was restored to full power and had me smiling for a few weeks, then it died down again.

also seems to be caked in oil at the back right of the engine which i believe is coming from rocker cover gas.never ending this thing think i just need to burn it :P

anyway i'll try and get some logs up in a few days and see what's the cause of the problem

thank for all the help

For the oil seep, check the rocker cover bolts; I've fixed those on a variety of makes and models by tightening loose bolts up.

well i had the rocker off to check the camshaft for wear, i should of changed the gasket tbh. all bolts have been double checked.

i think the previous owner put a new camshaft in it as it looks new and no wear etc. i have noticed a loud exhaust note when the turbo kicks in, its like the vanes are being closed to fast as it sounds like a subaru around 2000 rpm. theres no torque whats so ever..

well i had the rocker off to check the camshaft for wear, i should of changed the gasket tbh. all bolts have been double checked.

i think the previous owner put a new camshaft in it as it looks new and no wear etc. i have noticed a loud exhaust note when the turbo kicks in, its like the vanes are being closed to fast as it sounds like a subaru around 2000 rpm. theres no torque whats so ever..

It was a "this costs nothing and might work" thought based on experience.

Now you mention the Scooby noises, I've got another idea but no idea how to check it; wastegate opening early.

Now you mention the Scooby noises, I've got another idea but no idea how to check it; wastegate opening early.

well when the vanes are fully opened you can hear the turbo, but as soon as your hit around 2000 rpm, it sounds like the vanes are completely closed and the exhaust becomes really deep and sounds like an N/A petrol.

i cant see any problem with the figures below, i may be having an fuelling issue.

post-127861-0-73817200-1425755231_thumb.png

Edited by jazzbluedubber

No wastegate on turbodiesels Ken, guess again.

Slight overboost at 2400rpm but nothing major, looks like this is kicking the vein in a bit more than it should and then the turbo is playing catch up.

The veins are far from fully closed, vein operation is dcycle, and yours peaks at 61.8%, i would expect it to be reading around 72-75% at 4000rpm at full throttle.

The range your describing sounds like a problem with your egr valve, might want to give it a good clean and check the feed pipe from the exhaust manifold into it aswell for cracks.