Gearbox

I've now done the gearbox oil change with the recommended on this forum now, AND previously the synch routine as well as greasing up at spots that I thought it might benefit.

If I'm honest its really hard to determine any massive benefit thanks to the oil change?

I did think so at first but now wondering if that was just a placebo.

Maybe a tad smoother, but I wouldn't go so far to say super slick ALL the time.

There is still occasionaly quite a solid "nudge" feel getting it into gear particularly third (not a chunk or anything just quite solid), and even worse, I can't really think back from all my time of ownership from new to whether this has always been like this, got better or worse etc so can't think back to a point of comparison!

(not a resistance but like its quite a solid box, is that maybe not such a bad thing).

Although I have a feeling that from new it was far more positive, I supposed you have to expect some wear n tear at 120K ish though

I'm even wondering if the resync was a big deal too.

(although I have to say its been a long time since I had an intermittent feeling like it was stuck in first and couldn't get it out with out a lot of ****ing about but last time I had that was like last summer or something I tended to have it more often in the hotter weather I think).

Oh well at least I've changed the oil lol, it does get quite a bit dirty so at least I've got piece of mind its been done

I did read about the passenger bulkhead fix as well, wonder if I need to do that too ? (although I have never ever suffered it creeping forward with the clutch depressed or whatever the symtoms are supposed to be).

At 120K you will most likely have some syncro ring wear, and possibly some motion shaft end play, really depends how much of the mileage was motorway cruising or town driving.

I wouldn't worry about it, the boxes are strong and can last well beyond 300K in our local taxis.

Thanks Blanco for sending that - however I have a copy of that and that was in fact the sync I've done already. But kind of you to think of that for me !

Its probably as MoggyTech mentioned, a bit of wear so the feel isn't quite as "tight" as it was before.

Done a LOT of motorway miles so its definitely a healthy 120k so I won't worry about it and know I've done quite a lot to keep it tip top anyway.

• 7 months later...