VRS diesel-need to know?!

In a few months time I'm looking to replace my wife's 51plate Octavia tdi estate with an Octavia VRS diesel estate-hopefully a blue one and around £6k !!

Other than overall condition of bodywork, interior, etc and service history and MOT.......what should I pay attention to?   Is there anything I should look out for when road testing for example?

..........or do I get a lesser model and opt for a re-map, lowered springs and a set of wheels?!

Thanks in advance,

John.

Get the Vrs mate, you won't regret it! I'm over the moon with mine even if I have got a few issues at the moment!

May I ask what the issues are?     .....and what age/mileage is yours?

What age vRS are you looking at?

The 2.0 CR (common rail) engine is the best one to go for as the 2.0 PD (pumpe duse) doesn't play too nice with the DPF.

Also what kind of mileage and journeys will the car be doing?

Phil

What age vRS are you looking at?

The 2.0 CR (common rail) engine is the best one to go for as the 2.0 PD (pumpe duse) doesn't play too nice with the DPF.

Also what kind of mileage and journeys will the car be doing?

Phil

Not really looked at any yet, but think we'll have about £6,000 to spend.  Did the CR engine take over from the PD?...or is the PD still produced?

Wife will use it mainly to commute 8 miles to work, and 8 miles back........A and B roads, max 50mph.

The CR is the later engine. Personally I would stay clear of a vRS PD as not only was the dpf added later so it was never designed to work with one but there was also an injector recall that if not done correctly ruins the engine. With those sorts of miles and your budget you'll probably be better getting a petrol for that sort of money IMO.

May I ask what the issues are? .....and what age/mileage is yours?

07 93,000. Nothing major but just what you would expect from a diesel really! EGR fault which is to be expected as they clog up but I've an EGR delete to fit. And sticky turbo vanes, again common on turbo diesels and simple to fix with Mr muscle. But I'm going to try some EGR cleaner into the intake tomorrow hopefully should loosen the crap in the turbo a little.

My dpf has already been removed by previous owner, when you look about if you want a PD you'll probably find alot have already been removed :)

07 93,000. Nothing major but just what you would expect from a diesel really! EGR fault which is to be expected as they clog up but I've an EGR delete to fit. And sticky turbo vanes, again common on turbo diesels and simple to fix with Mr muscle. But I'm going to try some EGR cleaner into the intake tomorrow hopefully should loosen the crap in the turbo a little.

My dpf has already been removed by previous owner, when you look about if you want a PD you'll probably find alot have already been removed :)

Didn't realise an 07 would have a DPF.........have done the Mr Muscle thing a few times on the present Octy.

The CR is the later engine. Personally I would stay clear of a vRS PD as not only was the dpf added later so it was never designed to work with one but there was also an injector recall that if not done correctly ruins the engine. With those sorts of miles and your budget you'll probably be better getting a petrol for that sort of money IMO.

When was the Common Rail engine fitted from?   What was the recall and result if done wrong?

Apologies for all the questions.

When was the Common Rail engine fitted from?   What was the recall and result if done wrong?

Apologies for all the questions.

The injectors were the problem and IIRC it was a VOSA recall on safety grounds and if not done correctly the oil gets contaminated with fuel. Not sure on the year they swapped over but think it was when the facelift was done but others who know for sure will no doubt let us know.

The injectors were the problem and IIRC it was a VOSA recall on safety grounds and if not done correctly the oil gets contaminated with fuel. Not sure on the year they swapped over but think it was when the facelift was done but others who know for sure will no doubt let us know.

Would this be a CR engined car...... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502221150725/sort/default/keywords/VRS/transmission/manual/body-type/estate/fuel-type/diesel/page/1/usedcars/model/octavia/radius/1500/make/skoda/postcode/eh260ly/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew?logcode=p

20150103_210350_zps9iphjcmg.jpg

The cr engine cover looks like this if that helps

It does,thanks.  I'm assuming under the cover it's plain to see the fuel rail with pipes coming off going to the injectors?........as opposed to the PD ones where the injectors and wiring are inside the cam cover(if my memory is correct).

20150303_222805_zpsdbcrka9p.jpg

It does,thanks.  I'm assuming under the cover it's plain to see the fuel rail with pipes coming off going to the injectors?........as opposed to the PD ones where the injectors and wiring are inside the cam cover(if my memory is correct).

heres a pic showing cr engine with cover removed

Didn't realise an 07 would have a DPF.........have done the Mr Muscle thing a few times on the present Octy.

Mr Muscling the turbo on a PD170 is a pain as it sits above the exhaust manifold, not below. Access is tricky and you can never be sure that all the turbo gets cleaned. Still worth trying though as the sticky vanes are annoying.

But I'm going to try some EGR cleaner into the intake tomorrow hopefully should loosen the crap in the turbo a little.

I wouldn't bother with this, it won't help. I know, I tried!

Anything is better than nothing mate ;) I've stuck half a bottle of redex in 1/4 tank of fuel. Gave it an Italian tune up and it didn't half clear some soot. Since filled up again and it's starting better and easier now. First thing I noticed was 'diesel knock' greatly reduced!

EGR cleaner worth a go, especial £17 for 2 tins will only take 5 mins of my time to stick a tin through the intake and then go for a blast :)