fuel average

hi, i drive a superb 1.9 tdi, 104000 miles done, recently changed eng oil , oil filter and air filter. still i am getting only 40mpg (even in motor way), anyone can suggest me to improve my fuel average, i am not a rash or quick accelerator driver.. i drive smoothly every time.. no check engine light on dash board.. i drive short distances earlier, but recently i need to drive 60 miles a day, i cant afford this 40 mpg, i heard 50+ mpg is a guarantee average for superb tdi..

PLEASE HELP...

Thanks..

Tires at the correct pressure and tracking/alignment all okay?

Have you calculated the mpg manually? The computer on my 1.9 reads about 6.5mpg under what the car is actually achieving, which is usually between 48 - 50mpg on mostly a-road commuting

• Like 1

i heard 50+ mpg is a guarantee average for superb tdi..

I'd love to see that guarantee!  :notme:

It's so dependent on so many factors from the tyres up that no two cars will be alike.  My wife had a Mk3 Golf that she struggled to get below 55mpg out of, when a work colleagues identical car was 8-10mpg less, all the time.

Is it well serviced? (not just oil and filters), brakes all good and not binding?

Have you had it scanned to check for any fault codes in case something isn't working at its optimum?

Gaz

Mine under-reads the MPG by 2-3.

I'm on an auto 1.9. On a 60 mile run each way I get about 43-45MPG if I don't hit traffic, and keep it steady (no faster than 70).

You have to try really quite hard with the auto to do much better than that. If I get a perfect run on the motorway at 60 (and don't have to drive through town when the car is cold) then I could get 51-52MPG. But that is hard and boring.

Has your car been modified in any way - like EGR delete or anything else?

Does the automatic gearbox need a lot more fuel?

I have to drive quite aggressive to get below 50 mpg with my manual.

My overall average is 55 mpg. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. My daily commute is 20 kilometers (12.5 miles) per route.

I notice quite a difference when swapping tires from 225/40 R18 to 205/55 R16. On my 16" winter tires I get better mpg. Maybe it's the brand or the width.

Does the automatic gearbox need a lot more fuel?

Yes. An autobox and torque converter can sap 10% (or more) of the engine's power.

Very different for DSG's which don't have the drag of a torque converter. 

Gaz

It's not the drag, it's the slip. A torque converter coupled to a high torque diesel engine is extremely bad news for efficiency - hence the DSG. The torque converter lock-up map is hopeless on these transmissions, for average driving the converter is hardly ever locked.

rotodiesel.

hi, i drive a superb 1.9 tdi, 104000 miles done, recently changed eng oil , oil filter and air filter. still i am getting only 40mpg (even in motor way), anyone can suggest me to improve my fuel average, i am not a rash or quick accelerator driver.. i drive smoothly every time.. no check engine light on dash board.. i drive short distances earlier, but recently i need to drive 60 miles a day, i cant afford this 40 mpg, i heard 50+ mpg is a guarantee average for superb tdi..

PLEASE HELP...

Thanks..

What was your mpg prior to the servicing and when was the timing belt last changed?

I was getting 48mpg from my old 1.9 TDI 110 which Audi said there was nothing wrong, everything was ok.  They then changed the timing belt (due to age/mileage), the performance was no different but I was getting 53mpg.  Different engine technology I know but could still be a contributing factor.