Fuel Consumption

ktm690rr

I think that's a common misconception. Reading what 140 owners tend to return in MPG they all seem to be a good chunk better than the 170 owners.

Maybe on a standardised test, withe the 140 and 170 driven identically, the 170 is marginally better. However in reality every 170 driver tends to make use of the extra power, accelerating faster - which has to use more fuel.

• Like 1

I think that's a common misconception. Reading what 140 owners tend to return in MPG they all seem to be a good chunk better than the 170 owners.

Not in my experience and observing 170 owners Fuelly results. Most are about 42 whereas my 140 is 39 and others are similar.

Not a lot of difference but I'd expect the 140 to be more frugal than the 170.

Fred

Not finding my Yeti anywhere near the claimed 61mpg combined.  Currently hitting the 52-54mpg from my greenline.  Now running tests in it's remapped form. 240miles covered, maxidot settling at 52.2mpg at the moment. 

It would be interesting to know if a 'remap' hopelessly distorts maxidot like a 'box' like mine has.

It shouldn't do - as the ECU is aware of everything that's going on, it knows how much extra fuel is being injected. 

On my previous PD130s, ECU is as accurate as normal after remapping. 

Did a DIY resistor mod on one of my PD engines (fools the ECU into thinking fuel temp is hotter - the basis of very simple tuning boxes) and the resulting MPG figures on the computer were laughable!

Edited by muddyboots

It would be interesting to know if a 'remap' hopelessly distorts maxidot like a 'box' like mine has.

No real difference on mine, which was wildly optimistic to begin with - at best it's 10% out. I've read here that tuning boxes do distort the figures.

It shouldn't do - as the ECU is aware of everything that's going on, it knows how much extra fuel is being injected. 

Good one! :D The maxidot is NEVER accurate even when in standard tune!

Not finding my Yeti anywhere near the claimed 61mpg combined. 

I'm not sure it's fair to use "claimed" to describe the figures measured under the official test. The manufacturers are obliged to put their vehicles through the test and obliged to publish the results.

My CR170 is just coming to 2 years old and its average on Fuelly is 43.2mpg. Most of my driving is on quickish A-roads but with quite a lot of junctions and lights.

It is not claimed that you will see the official 'combined' result. Your mileage will vary. However, these are standardised tests so different cars can be compared relative to one another.

• Like 1

There's varying then there's a combined figure from urban and extra urban that you're not going to see. 

What kind of driving do you do? Mostly motorway? Closer to 60 or 80 mph?

I'm travelling into Aberdeen every day, a round trip of 98 miles, outside of rush hour times.  :D

"A" roads all the way, but plenty of small villages to pass through, where speed limits are 30 - 50 mph.

My average speed ( checked on arrival home, each day ) is 39/40 mph.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

Back on summer tyres and last tank returned 45.3 mpg. My Maxi-dot average speed on the long-term (2) option is 25 mph. Overall average is 42 mpg, which has hardly budged since the car was new.

We've just returned from a holiday in Wales and the trip there was done in the heavy rain & gales last Saturday. Driving over Saddleworth Moor on the M62 I got a fairly steady instant mpg reading of under 25, doing no more than 60, *downhill*! Having the the roofbox on didn't help :(

• 3 months later...

Do you still get the gear change icon in the display as that seams to have taken it's place.

This was mine last week, surprised to see this as it entailed 2 trips across Lincoln.
I suspect a true MPG of about 65.

Image7_zpscramsqm5.jpg

This was mine last week, surprised to see this as it entailed 2 trips across Lincoln.

I suspect a true MPG of about 65.

My 1.6tdi greenline 2500miles actual mpg is 58 mpg mixed

62 to 65 mpg A roads

55 to 60 motorway 2100 revs 60+ mpg 2000 revs

50 round town with warm engine

I spent £20 to get the mpg on the maxi rest to 110% so it's over accurate now by 2 mpg

If your thinking of resetting your maxi dot on a vcds set it to 108 % on the mpg readout and it should be spot on

My 1.6tdi Greenline has just ended its first year, and I've logged all diesel filled. For the 6564 miles it averaged 66.7mpg. It would be better if I didn't have a spare wheel.  It didn't change perceptibly with running in, but it certainly has been lower in winter on average, an in summer when I use the air conditioning. Although once a month or so I may do a long trip on wide roads, much of my driving is on single track roads with regular stops for cars coming the other way, sheep, deer etc - maybe more like driving in towns?