Fuel Consumption

ktm690rr

My 2016 1.4l 92 kW (123 bhp I think) TSI is currently averaging 7.6l/100 after 4500km. Which I think is 37.2 UK mpg. Think my best effort was when I was out of town in country Victoria doing a long drive, got 6.9l/100 during that trip (40.9mpg).

This is suburban driving so speeds are generally between 50-80km/h (30-50mph), except during heavy peak hour (where it's mostly 20-40km/h with a few minutes of 40-70km/h on the motorway).

After doing a 1500 km trip across Europe (3000 km so far with the car) I was surprised with the low consumption of the 1.4 engine: 5.8l/100km, or 49 mpg according to the Maxidot. It would have been even lower but I drove around 300 km in the Alps on some steep climbs. CC set at 120km/h (116 real gps speed) but there were plenty of sections limited to lower speeds. The lowest consumption I think is at 90kmh in 6th gear. 

I don't know how exact is the Maxidot though. Doing long stretches of road at a constant speed it estimated correctly the consumption and the range left. 

My 2016 110 se averaging43 mpg mostly about town with a few motorway trips . Should I be expecting better figures considering claims of 68 mpg

Just a thought. My 2014 110bhp 2wd is returning 48/52 brim to brim through the year, excluding long runs. This is in light traffic, mostly traveling out of rush hour.

Thinking about this, on a run travelling one or two up with not a lot in the car I am looking at 120,. If I do 70mph I get about 50mpg, 60mph I get about 60mpg, 55mph I get about 65mpg. It is a bit of a rough calculation but seems to hold true on a long run.

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

Having only put just over 500 miles on my newly collected 2016 (MY17) SE L 4x4 DSG SCR travelled over a variety of roads (A, B, C, motorway & town centres) with very mixed quantities of traffic flow (and as recommended by the "powers that be" keeping to max 3,500rpm and 70mph) I was really pleased to have recorded an overall 48.7mpg for the trip ………… I'll be very pleased if this is the sort of figure I can expect from now on. 

Edited by SK66YET

I've done 1280 miles in 25 days and brim to brim after today's fill I'm getting 47.3mpg, the Maxdot says 50.6mpg. Mixed driving with some longish runs on motorways but hours spent in traffic. My recent trip to St Austell about 290miles took over 9 hours of driving.

Just come back from Manningtree to here, via the A14, M6, M54, keeping to around 60 - 65 until Shrewsbury and the Maxidot has given me an average of 58mpg!!

Very happy with that!!

Graham, I'm hoping that as the mileage increases on mine it will get better but that is good, much better than the old 140 engines?

Graham, I'm hoping that as the mileage increases on mine it will get better but that is good, much better than the old 140 engines?

Much better!!

So you should be!  Anyway, an interesting comparison with the 140.

Agreed and one I am very surprised at.

Also found that the cruise control seems to be better at keeping a constant fuel consumption on the "on-the-go" setting. 

Did find that anything over 65 and the consumption increases quickly.

Did find that anything over 65 and the consumption increases quickly................Is that mph or age.?

Well it certainly isn't my age!!

Mind you after the amount of red that got put away this weekend......................................

• Like 2

There is definitely a sweet spot for our new Yeti, different to the old, and quite pronounced.  This might well change slightly as everything beds down but currently an indicated 67/68 mph, which I know from testing with an accurate GPS on the level, is about 64/65 'real' mph.  The car just seems to hunker down and purr along, obviously head winds and the like change that but under normal conditions it gives a good indicated consumption and feels really smooth.

Agreed.

The speed was taken from the Garmin; speedo showed just under 70.

Cruise control was on for a lot of the journey.

Interesting, very similar results and yours must have clocked up more milage than mine?  (mine is a DSG and yours manual)

I do like the cruise control especially when we are driving in a SPECS camera zone, its just a pity its not Adaptive Speed Control.

Interesting to read all the comments about Yeti fuel consumption. The fuel consumption is never going to be amazing on a Yeti or any other similar vehicle simply down to aerodynamics. I find the biggest handicap to good fuel consumption is stop starting when the car is cold and braking. Although safety sometimes dictates that braking is a necessity! 

It is also interesting to hear early comments about the 1.6Tdi Yeti. I know that it is no longer produced but is the 2.0Tdi 110ps that much better as I am considering buying secondhand. And really what is the 1.2Tsi like? Seems to be hundreds of 1.2TSi DSGs around. 

1.2 Tsi DSG average 42 mpg over 47,000 miles. Great combination and praised by many Road Tests. If your mileage is under 15,000 PA then could be right for you. If you do frequent long motorway trips then probably a diesel is best. However, diesels are "dirty" and opinion is moving against them, some cities are intimating they may ban diesels from city centres. 1.2 is quiet, smooth and ample power unless you always travel fully loaded. Try one and see.

• Like 1

Interesting, very similar results and yours must have clocked up more milage than mine?  (mine is a DSG and yours manual)

I do like the cruise control especially when we are driving in a SPECS camera zone, its just a pity its not Adaptive Speed Control.

Mine has now done 10k miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I admit that I've only covered 500miles so far in my 170bhp L&K but I'm getting an indicated 47.8mpg.

I'm no light-footed creature so it's not like I've been driving Miss Daisy but struggling to reconcile the "aerodynamic as a brick" and "permanent four wheel drive bursts mpg" comments.

My wife's F25 (2012) X3 xDrive20d averages 38mpg. Our previous 118d with 120bhp generated 48mpg and was arguably

Lighter and smaller. I won't mention what our E70 xXdrive40d managed but it was way less the the Yeti.

Therefore I'm not sure what there is to complain

about?

Edited by Spuffington

I've got a 1.2 Tsi DSG and the petrol consumption has steadily improved since new. Latest tankful recorded 46.29 MPG and over 47,000 miles an average of 42.2 MPG. All brim-to-brim measurements. The consumption does vary depending on terrain, speed, conditions etc and the 46.29 was a mix of motorway (70 MPH) and local mixed urban rural driving.

I've got a 1.2 Tsi DSG and the petrol consumption has steadily improved since new. Latest tankful recorded 46.29 MPG and over 47,000 miles an average of 42.2 MPG. All brim-to-brim measurements. The consumption does vary depending on terrain, speed, conditions etc and the 46.29 was a mix of motorway (70 MPH) and local mixed urban rural driving.

Forgot to say best MPG is using Shell premium nitro petrol, I usually use Sainsbury's best because there is no Shell or BP garages convenient to where I live.

• 2 weeks later...

Only done 220 miles so far in 66reg 1.2 TSI DSG and already getting over 40 mpg (even though engine is tight) on open roads

Less on traffic congested sections.