UK Pricing & Spec

Coops

I have just ordered an l and k estate, in red

so thought I'd ask a couple of questions will we still be getting a free tv tuner with he car. Is it worth adding wifi and what the hell is smart gate?

Is it worth having the sun blinds spec, any other must haves on top of the l and k???

I have just ordered an l and k estate, in red

so thought I'd ask a couple of questions will we still be getting a free tv tuner with he car. Is it worth adding wifi and what the hell is smart gate?

Is it worth having the sun blinds spec, any other must haves on top of the l and k???

Welcome!

TV tuner - probably not. The MY2017 changes come into effect from build week 22, so if you've just ordered (like me) then it will be built after that so in theory it won't have one. The only thing I'm not certain about is that when I ordered there was no option to TV tuner so whether we'll be lucky or not is anyone's guess, but I'd imagine not. Think there was something in another thread saying orders up to start of May would be honoured..

Wifi - if you mean the ability to put a SIM card into the car itself and use it as a router, I personally think it's not worth the money. You're better off using your own phone's 3G/4G and tethering devices to it. Not quite as slick but should be more or less just as effective and costs hundreds of pounds less! Bear in mind if you did add the wifi option you'd still need s SIM card with a data plan which - for anything worth having - would cost around £10 per month minimum.

Smart gate - it's basically just software which allows data to be shared between the car and selected mobile devices through Skoda's app. IIRC you can use it to get performance information on your phone/tablet and also use the phone/tablet to remotely control some of the infotainment options, e.g. your rear seat passengers could use it to change the music. Seemed a bit pointless to me, but no doubt some people will like it and someone who actually has it might be able to give you a better insight.

Extra kit - Personally, I went with the sun blinds (side windows only) as they're great for kids in the back and fit nicely and discretely, covering much more of the window than aftermarket ones would. Expensive for what they are perhaps, but I felt it was worth it. I also have specced the ventilated seats because, why not :) Partly influenced by being stuck in a hot car one day last week. I wasn't going to add them before but it just seemed like it was worth it. If you're getting the DSG version I gather the paddles are worth paying £95 for but I'm getting a manual.

any other must haves on top of the l and k???

Ventilated seats.

I was a bit dubious when ordering them, but I’m glad I did, the trouble is, it is now another ‘must have’ item on every car now.

• Like 1

Definately ventilated seats. Used them for the first time last week and it is true luxury. Well worth the money and as Gizmo mentioned its going to be difficult ordering a new car in the future without it.

I would never want ventilated seats. With two kids to much grease will go down in seats and start smelling. :)

Also I'm very sensitive for wind, and ventilated car seats are very bad if you are. Gives you neck pain or a stiff neck etc.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I would never want ventilated seats. With two kids to much grease will go down in seats and start smelling. :)

Also I'm very sensitive for wind, and ventilated car seats are very bad if you are. Gives you neck pain or a stiff neck etc.

The kids sit in the back where it's normal leather seats, only me and the wife who'll be making use of them in the front. Although I think she'll use them more in combination with the heated seats to blow warm air, which is something I gather you can do. Looking forward to trying all this stuff out :)

I tried to add them to my order but was too late.

Gutted. Next time.

Well. Kids sometimes sit in the front when car is standing still. And also. In the summer you might sweat a lot until you start the neckpainer. ;) Nice with sweat going down in the seats? Nah. ;)

I'm overweight, sweat a lot on the summer. Still not a big issue sitting in the leather seats with ac running and without ventilated seats. :)

• Like 1

I have asked my fleet manager to see if I can add it and what it will do with the lease! Also asked about the tv tuner and he confirmed that it will be built with the car, so we will wait and see... Thank you for the thoughts!

• 2 months later...

Folks, just some info on the options available when specing a Superb SEL. Currently beige leather seats are only available with ventilation due to a manufacturing issue. This will have cost implications if you spec it. Black leather and Alcantara seem to be fine. The configurator is all messed up at the moment and is forcing all orders to have electric seats and ventilation. Speak to your dealership to get the best advice. This info was confirmed by my dealer today at lunchtime.

• 2 months later...

Price increase coming effective 22 November, apparently. I understand it works out to about £800 on a Superb, which sounds surprisingly modest given the much bigger fall in sterling. Surely more to come.

Then again, the news breaking just now might change the rules of the game yet again. Perhaps the hard, “swivel-eyed” Brexiteers won’t be able to impose their ruinous pipe dream of splendid isolation entailing economic meltdown on my children.