Skoda Fabia Speaker Wiring

Hello!

I recently bought some front speaker upgrades obviously underestimating how much of a chore it is to fit them. Whilst the drill is charging so I can actually attempt to take the rivets out (i already tried once but the drill was dying), I was trying to figure out the connectors. I have no idea what is going on. Can someone please tell me how I'm supposed to connect the two wires from the speaker to the four-hole thingy that the OEM speaker was connected to? I've already slid the metal things onto the actual speaker...have I done that wrong?

Here are two pictures to demonstrate:

http://imgur.com/ZyzDItL,FGHPnIb#0 (the two wires)

http://imgur.com/ZyzDItL,FGHPnIb#1 (what I'm trying to connect them to)

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by savagetachos

If you look at the connector you'll notice that they are pretty much two pairs of wires joined together, with the extra wires going up to the tweeter. So just solder them so the wires that are currently connected stay connected but with a new wire going to your new speaker. Basically you should end up with two Y shaped joins each with a wire going to HU one going to tweeter and one to new speaker

Hope this makes sence

IMO...

2 wires come from the head unit to the main speakers. Then 2 wires head off towards the tweeters.

Unless you've bought spacers, the new speakers won't fit. Suggest you have a trawl about for Fabia MK1 speaker topics to get an idea of the challenges.

J.

I've bought 13cm (5.25") speakers, same as the originals so hopefully they'll fit. If they don't then I'll have to order spacers.

The red/brown wires are negative and the red wires are positive. So would I be able to connect both red (+) wires from the connector to the positive wire from the speaker? And the red/brown (-) wires to the negative wire from the speaker? Is that allowed?

The window guide bar is about 18-19mm behind the panel. Without spacers, they won't fit.

Would also say those speakers don't look like much of an upgrade. Cheapest/easiest is usually a new head unit with a BFO onboard amp and some EQ. Though if the original speakers are knackered or buzzing/crackling, then obviously, better to replace.

It's "usual" to replace the speakers with a 6.5" (170mm) component set or good co-axials on deep MDF spacers or Autoleads or simialr plastic spacers. Depth is an issue, 60-62mm is about the limit.

I'm replacing them because the other ones were buzzing like crazy. I read somewhere that you had something like 50-60mm of depth to work with? I'm literally broke at the moment and the rivets are being buttholes so needing spacers will just make the situation even more stressful.

Although it might not be noticeable to some folks, speaker phasing is important, both speakers should be moving in same direction .( Means that for music wave each speaker should move in same direction). i don't know how it's done these days, but in days of old, favourite method was to use a low voltage battery, with lamp/resistor in series. Apply positive to one terminal ( with no wiring connected of course) and see which way the cone moves. Repeat for other speaker and note that. Wire up so that same side of sterio output goes to make speakers move in same direction .

Edited by VWD
  • Like 1

I'm replacing them because the other ones were buzzing like crazy. I read somewhere that you had something like 50-60mm of depth to work with? I'm literally broke at the moment and the rivets are being buttholes so needing spacers will just make the situation even more stressful.

If you have time but zero dosh, do some detective work first. Is it the standard speakers buzzing or the door cards/trims. does it buzz when playing with the trims off?

If it's just the rivets coming loose, IMO, drill them out and fit nutserts then some dynamat or flashing tape around the hole. then screw the standard speakers back in.

If the speakers themselves are buggered, you can try to gut them whilst maintaining the spacer/mount of the original speaker.

Edited by vindaloo