Rear Mud Flaps - Any Thoughts

Vaison

This is my first winter in the Yeti and I was quite surprised by the amount of dirt thrown up over the tailgate and rear window... Has anyone had experience of fitting mud flaps?

I think the main reason is for tailgate dirt is the aerodynamics associated with a vertical rear. It creates an area of low pressure which sucks up dirt. I wouldn't expect the small rear mud flaps do to much.

• Like 1

I fitted front mud flaps to my first Yeti.

They're quite short and only protected the first 6" or so of the sill .

My second Yeti had no mudflaps.

My third Yeti I ordered the rear mudflaps fitted from the factory as they were quite cheap.

I noticed no difference to the muck spread  on the tailgate and  rear window.

If I order a fourth Yeti I wont bother with any mudflaps. :no:

Genuine Skoda front and rears look good+protect your side paintwork. Wish I'd fitted mine from the off. So much crap thrown up the sides without the fronts. Faff to fit though. Like most jobs should be simple but struggled to locate some of the screw holes. Annoying.

Unless you have the Black Edition as they don't appear to fit.

Unless anyone knows different???

It is the FRONT ones that do not fit with the sill extensions, not the back ones.

• Like 1

Rears do offer a bit of protection to the front of your trailer from stones - if you tow.

The fronts certainly cut down the muck on the side of the car, but are a still bit small. However, over time, they do flex and gradually wear away the top coat of paint on the side of the wheel arches. Not noticeable unless you remove one, but i guess in time they may wear through to bare metal. Ford mud-flap kits (used to and may still) include a clear self-adhesive film to stick to the paint first as a barrier (a bit like the material that is fitted to the arch on the rear passenger doors). Shame Skoda don't do the same, it would cost peanuts!

I fitted the longer (non-genuine) front ones - forget where they were from now but were discussed on here a while back - and they do protect the sides of the car from debris well. They hang noticeably lower than the Skoda ones.

Haven't bothered with the rear, like others have said, nothing will stop mucky mist being sucked up around the back of the car.

I would fit the extra large rear mudflaps, purely as a politeness to following traffic.

Edited by gumdrop

Beware extra-long flaps if you might venture off flat tarmac.  Reversing even into a tough tussock of grass can be enough to trap the flap and pull it off.  It's happened to me, though not in the Yeti.  

• Like 2

I wish other motorists would be as considerate.  A bloody Freelander 2 sent a couple of lovely stones my way. Chipped windscreen, nice.  Large tyres, high ride height, they look good with them, just have them fitted.  

I bought two pairs of rally mudflaps from Halfords at £14.00 a pair, then I took the Yeti mudflaps off, and placed the yeti mudflaps over the Halfords mudflaps, cut them so they are just above kerb level and a slight mod for fitting lining up where the holes need drilling, the fronts require extra work as the front Yeti mudflaps bottom fitting has the metal bracket so you have under gut the flap make a big hole for the metal bracket to go through, and secure the bottom flap.

I also made the front flaps 5mm wider, and nicely shaped them.

Fitted the Yeti mudflaps over the Halford flaps job done, they are also flexible so they won't cause any damage if they scrape over Kerbs.

You can also buy the mudflap from E-bay in a roll, 2mm thick, 310cm x 61cm for £28.85. will try and get some pics on. 

• 2 months later...

Definitely prefer all my cars to have mudflaps, they just set it off nicely.  Have some on my RS, got them over from Ireland, they were the cheapest I could find, they have an offer on of 15% off all mudflaps now too, not sure how long it will last but it's a decent offer.  www.skodapartsireland.ie is the address, I was only waiting 3 days for mine to come and they were really easy to fit.

I notice my new Yeti came with little rear mudflaps... didn't order them, so presumably the new Yetis come with them as standard.  I don't remember there being any on my last (pre-FL one)   The ones on this new one don't look big enough to do any good,  and the rear splatter seems just the same as I remember from before.