Sparshatts of Fareham Ltd - Fareham

DGW

Originally posted by Rob Arnett - Mon Feb 2, 2004

The salesman at the dealer was very helpful while we were looking to buy, although he did fail on two occasions to phone us.

The worst part was picking up the car. The salesman who we bought the car from would not be there to do the handover, so another guy was supposed to do it.

I took the morning off work and battled rush hour traffic to get there for 9am only to find the guy who was supposed to handover was not there, and nobody seemed interested in approaching me.

What was supposed to be a special occasion for me turned out to be a real pain in the ***.

Still, only paid £13k for a new vRS and got £6.5k for our one year old Ka

Originally posted by A Laws - Thu Feb 26, 2004

Chose not to buy my fabia vrs from them as they would not budge on the price.

However I have used them since for 3 minor warranty repairs and was very pleased with their proffesional service

Originally posted by pete247 - Sun Oct 17, 2004

After giving the specifications for what car i wanted; octavia vrs with elec sunroof, esp, xenons, met paint, i was quoted a very good price and also offered a good price for my car.

ent for a demo and before i took the car out i was told that i wasnt able to take delivery of my car for 10 wks, so because of this salesman had to knock £500 off price for my part ex, , not happy but fair enough i thought. went on demo, loved the car absolutely awesome. get back, fill in order and finance agreement. salesman says oops i made an error on the price; that'll be another £1000 please on top of the extra £500 you need to cough up already. at that point i tore up my order and walked out gutted. never mind, i just placed an order for a nice shiney MG ZS 180 with 15% discount and i pick it up end of november. so thankyou skoda you just lost a sale and being a first time buyer of skoda has now changed to a probably wont ever buy one although never say never

If you want to buy a car there try & deal with Ivan, Knows his stuff, very pleasant & not pushy. We bought our L&K off of them a couple of years ago & they won the deal against a Southampton dealer purely because of his attitude & manner.

Unfortunately for them we now have a dealer in Winchester & their Customer service to date has been second to none but I will probably still give Ivan a chance when we buy a new Octy next year

• 9 months later...

Have bought three cars from Sparshatts so far.

Sales service has always been good except they can be poor at returning calls. Prices have always been the best around. I normally deal with Grant Lane or Steve Cross (Dealer Principle & Director).

Service Department - Mike - Got off to a bad start but things have since been resolved and are normally very helpful.

Parts Department - Maurice - very nice guy doesn't normally give discounts though.

Having bought my car from this dealer I initially had a problem with the car not being ordered so delivery was a month late. However, as a goodwill gesture sales manager gave me the first service free:)

So I collected my nice shiny car at the very beginning of October (2005). The handover was a bit poor (although I was ill on the day so the sales guy probably wanted to get away from me as quick as possible:rolleyes: ) his understanding of all the buttons was poor and he didn't even show me under the bonnet (a minor niggle though)

So in the nine months of owning the car I have had one 'problem' which was cured quickly by the RAC man by reconnecting a loose earth lead that stopped the car from starting.

Next stop mid July and the cars first service (variable) having hit 18.5k miles. booked in for its service with a couple of additionals to look at... The odd squeak from the front of the car (see other threads - rad mounts?) and the classic 'mooing' brakes. The service is completed and I get my phone call within about 3 hours of taking the car in:thumbup: The squeak has been fixed but I need to return the car the following week for the mod to fix the brakes.

I collected the car (which had been washed) and off I went... Not sure if it is good or bad but it didn't really drive any different (used to my Focus driving like a bag of bolts near to its service, then feeling like new after), I guess it just drives well full stop:cool:

The following week the car went back for the brake mod.. Told it would be an hour job so left it at 9am At 1pm I decided to give the dealership a call to 'see how it was going' only to be told that the parts had not arrived and that they were very sorry for not having called me due to a 'communication error':eek: . Oh well not point in shouting, these things do happen, so I booked in again.

Well the motor went in today and I had my call (after about 4 hours)... collected the car and..... NO MOOING!!!!:D

So to summarise.... I got a great deal on buying (saw the sales manager/director), a couple of teething issues including phone calls ( same as VRStu points out) but I have always been treated with courtesy and politely and always treated professionally (which is more than can be said for the Ford dealership Hendy (truely awful))by all areas within the dealership.... and really enjoy drving my car

• Like 1

A lot of it is catching the dealer at the right time.

I went to Southampton and whilst negotiating for a discount was told by the salesman 'I've done my target already, I don't need to buy your business'.

That was my cue to leave, probably never to return.

I think the dealer in southampton may be a bit shorts sited - when I went looking for my new car in December 2005 at the Saltdean garage the saleman there was quite nonchalant about having met his targets (they had a lot of taxi driver business). 7 months later the garage has closed and is in receivership with one of the reasons being cited as poor sales....

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Update to my last post.

They fixed the problem of their causing, but I receive no apology.

I won't go into details as I don't want to cause the site potential legal issues, but suffice to say I think they are charging for things that should not be chargeable.

Additionally their hire car policy is some what questionable again.

I won't be visiting this lot again for service.

• 1 month later...

Bought our Octavia Hatch 1.9Tdi March 2004 just before the new facelift, Sales man was friendly but a bit erratic and did tee me off a few times (count to ten etc.!) But beat them up from 200 quid for my old Peugeot 405 Est mreg to £750. then because they didn't have what we wanted colour wise we played their game re what was "on the shelf" we ended up with a "silverline" package Alloys met paint rear spoiler leather bits and bobs for a good price and a low HP package so all of us were happy.

Problem wise I think the manager was the main pain, bit full of his own importance and a few silly **** ups that should of been sorted.

Had to have the whole of the drivers door electrics replaced (rust!) No problems sorted with no hassle, Typical loss of clutch pressure (standard to VW according to AA) again new master cylinder no probs. 1st service at 26K reasonable but one of the service desk guys couldn't show enthusiasm with a bullet behind him!

Would I buy again, dunno! I would certainly check out their prices but do not feel any loyalty to the dealership but the staff turn over can be high at dealerships and the way the commission is set up is usually the reason you cant get another rep to look after you because they don't benefit

Got to have a part replaced, took the car in at 24 hrs notice, ladies helpful on service desk, mechanic also helpful and willing to answer questions unrelated, diagnosed in 20 mins and part ordered, courtesy car offered, so so far all good.

• 7 months later...

Went to look at Fabia vRS.

Just to add I went for a test drive after a quick visit the previous week to suss it out :)

The salesman was a joke, didn't know if it was petrol or diesel :( if it came with Xenons as standard.... bah bah bah you get the picture. I mean if your at a skoda dealership surley you must have some knowledge of what your selling?

I know more about the car its equipment/power figures etc from 1hr on this site :thumbup:

It wont put me off buying off these cars as its exactly what im looking for (previous car Honda Integra type r, DC2) it's that I'm just having to go down the private route when buying.

I can't comment on servicing as havn't used them lets hope it better than their particular salesman.

I think they have some new staff there, so that may explain the lack of knowledge.

There are two new franchises opening on the site soon so lots of new people who may not all end up selling Skoda.

• 2 weeks later...

Only dealt with them once and they didn't do as well as Freeborn in Southampton IMO.

They didn't address my concerns and left my gearbox feeling lump, clunky and horrible. I was lectured by a supposedly senior guy from the service department (Steve? I can't remember to be honest) on how my car was supposed to work (even thought it's my second one) and I was told that I was probably imagining my issues after reading about them on the internet.

The reception staff were surly in my opinion and I had to pay for a courtesy car which is unheard of at Freeborn in Southampton.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've recently bought my Mk2 Octavia vRS from Sparshatts.

I was on the lookout for a vRS for some time, but couldn't really afford one in all honesty. I got in touch with Sparshatts on the recommendation of another forum member, told them what I wanted, and they came back with an amazing price for the car (made it the cheapest car in the dealer network at the time!), and an excellent deal on the finance. :thumbup:

I dealt with Lee Cracknell from the off, who couldn't be more friendly and accommodating, very quick to return my many calls, and bent over backwards on my every request! I wasn't bored to tears with any lengthy sales blurb, there was no high pressure sale for any additional insurances or products etc, and overall a jolly nice chap to deal with.

The car was nicely prepared on collection day too, pretty much "as new".

Overall a very positive experience indeed! :thumbup: I can whole heartedly recommend Sparshatts for new car sales, although I do live some distance away so won't be able to comment on parts/service departments etc.

EDIT to add, the only negative from the experience was through an honest mistake. Was told on the phone the car had 18s & jumbo pack, but when I arrived it only had the jumbo pack without the 18s. :( I was however apologised too, and understand it to be a completely genuine mistake... had their been another car on the forecourt with the 18s there isn't a doubt in my mind they'd have swapped them for me, and I was offered to buy the wheels at cost price. Just worth mentioning for a bit of balance ;)

• 3 months later...

I took delivery of my new Roomster Scout from them on Saturday.

I had dealings with the principle, Steve Cross, Ben and Lee. It was a marathon 490 mile round trip to collect the car, but the deal was good and my local Liverpool based dealer was less than interested and quite abrupt so it's their loss (and I am a 3 time repeat customer of theirs, which I thought would have meant "something")

Firstly the good stuff.

1. I got an OUTSTANDING deal, and an excellent part exchange

2. Very friendly, no spin at all and very easy to deal with

3. Car was from stock, very well prepped, and all dealer fit extra's present and correct

4. Given the fact that their showroom is being rebuilt, I was well catered for and they let my 6 year old look around the new cars and helped keep him entertained during the handover.

Now ... the bad stuff.

1. Only 1 thing, communication, some calls were not returned, and the handover process was a little protracted due to my salesman being away for the weekend.

Now the really GOOD Stuff.

As we had a minor glitch on communication, I was given my centre armrest, fitted, as a goodwill gesture. This was offered, not asked for which I think shows a degree of honesty and the level of customer satisfaction that Steve Cross is trying to build with his staff line up.

On the whole, a very good performance from Sparshatts, I would reccomend them without exception based on the deal I got and the way that minor problems were handled. As the weeks go on and the new showroom is completed I feel they will go on to become an excellent dealership.

It had to be good, as I said, my local dealer had a very poor attitude and Sparshatts jumped on this when I was introduced to them and I made the marathon trip and drove back a happy ugly man, in a happy ugly car :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

car broke down today near Alton on the way back home from Norwich :( recovered back to this dealer for repair, I only use them because they are local only 2 miles away:)

Have no problem with the workshop, but one person behind the service desk needs to take a reality check and enroll on a customer service course, I just hope that they are not there tomorrow when I go in. Will update progress as it happens.

• 2 months later...

I have been there and had the same person behind the desk twice - I worked in the NHS and had staff who had similar bad customer service skills. It reflects very badly on the garage and on Skoda - either they are in the wrong job or should be re trained - senior staff must know they are like this. Perhapse they have got used to their attitude, however as a customer its very difficult - I found it aggressive and challanging/not helpful at all. Not happy and pleased to help or give assistance.

Edited by DGW
Inappropriate use of quote facility.

I've had similar experiences with this dealer. Took a test drive yesterday with the mitsubishi salesman? Knew nothing about the car. Only interest was to close the sale. Very pushy, wanted to rush test drive. Not my first bad experience with the sales people here

• 2 weeks later...

They've had a shake up in the Service Department and have a new Service Manager now so fingers crossed things will be on the up.

This is my local dealer so I did pass on some of the comments here and they were taken very seriously by the Management who have responded with some positive feedback.

• 1 month later...

A little update from me, overall very poor

Service girls, very good

Sales guys, nothing really bad, had one try to hijack me off another though

Parts, poor, still waiting for a bolt they were ringing me to tell me had arrived 10 weeks ago, and it was paid for, went to VW in the end as it wasn't worth the fuel.

Mechanic's, 50/50 here, the main one seems to know his stuff and is helpful, but this still didn't stop me having to have a fault done twice even though I told them what was wrong with it.

Ability or desire to cure fault, poor, wouldn't travel a few miles so I could demonstrate a fault, SUK backed them up on it and it's one reason why I will probably return to VX after this ones done, I'm sure had I been able to replicate the fault the mechanic would've nailed it then and there.

Hire Car, £13 per day, never had this from VX before.

Pricing, Never really got to see what deal they would do on new cars, but I suspect from the lad who I was dealing withs face when I asked it wouldn't be good.

I see a few good things in this dealership, and a lot of bad ones, things to consider though are do they struggle to get the money back from Skoda, or are the top brass not good to work for, this leads to ppl's work going down hill.

• 1 month later...

The worst experience I have ever had with a dealership.

The sales guy was Harry, he deals with the Mitsubishi side, we had spent the day test driving cars, my gf is short 5' and does not find all cars fit her. our last stop was skoda we wanted to test a fabia. He took us a v tidy 1.2 sport, which we then test drove for 3 miles, with him giving the directions. We found the 1.2 under powered so arranged with him to come back and see a 1.9 diesel ambiente. Upon arrival he asked if we were going to do a deal today. As we were not even sure we would like the car we told him we would not close the deal that day, at which pont he told us that there was no point taking the car out, as he had another customer looking at it that afternoon. We walked out on him at this point! Everything was to much hassle for this guy, he knew nothing about the cars and would not even go and find out about the mileage of the VRS he had on the fourcourt. Test drove a VRS at another showroom and are now in the process of buying one.