My skoda vrs mk1 240 bhp OV52WGX

Hi Guys,

Thanks to vrsTom for highlighting this SCAM advert to me.

I made a mistake when I sold the car and didn't do the V5C thingy.

Mr Andrew Wilks and a mate turned up an hour early to view the car and caught me unaware as I'd just returned from my Son's place in Chepstow, I hadn't even unloaded the car and my wife hadn't even got through the front door.

He wanted to drive the car and take it away, we agreed a price and he took it (all in around 15 minutes). Within minutes I realised my mistake and tried ringing him, no answer.

I then tried getting in contact with him over the next two weeks, he never replied to txt's, messeges on this forum, phone calls etc, the only time he spoke to me was when I used a different phone number and caught him out.

In between I wrote to DVLA and explained the situation and when I sold the car (hence it shows as not taxed since 8th Feb this year). 

He did say he posted the V5C back to me, but it has never arrived.

Next thing I know it shows up in the Mk1 Octavia section all blinged up.

I've read his advert on E-Bay and it's a total fabricated pack of lies, DO NOT GO NEAR THIS CAR as it your likely to get lots of problems.

He may have put coil overs on it and a set of wheels, painted the roof and trims, but I find it very unlikely the engine is what he say's, yes it was stage 2 when I had it, but not with the rebuilt bottom end etc.

Oh and he certainly hasn't owned it for 10 years, he bought it on the 8th of Feb this year!

My next port of call is to report the ad to e-bay.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not think I am involved in this SCAM for one minute, I have been on this Forum for 11 years +,and in that time I owned OV 52 WGX for that entire time after I bought the car when it was 18 months old and 9000 miles, the 2 inch thick service file is the one I compiled over those 11 years.

• Like 2

I think I speak for everyone in this thread (except of course the party in question) that the thought never even crossed our minds. Alerting ebay is the way forward. Are DVLA now fully aware of the situation? Even the way he went about buying it sounds fishy, but as the seller you're usually happy to get a quick deal done.

I've just reported it to E-Bay as a fraudulent listing.

Oh and the only reason I sold her was because I've ordered a brand new 03 Octy VRS, personally I think he's ruined a very good example of a Mk1 VRS with some tasteful mods and was a real sleeper.

He's even advertising the fact it has a boost gauge under the stereo, I fitted that and the stereo was only a few weeks old and I was going to remove it, but because of his haste I didn't get a chance.

Once again DON'T GO NEAR THIS CAR OR THE GUY SELLING IT :devil: .

Regards

An extremely pi**ed of Andy. 

Never been in this situation but can imagine how you must be feeling. At the end of the day just remember it's not your fault and you're not responsible for the unscrupulous actions of others. You sold in good faith, most would have done the same.

• Like 1

I think I speak for everyone in this thread (except of course the party in question) that the thought never even crossed our minds. Alerting ebay is the way forward. Are DVLA now fully aware of the situation? Even the way he went about buying it sounds fishy, but as the seller you're usually happy to get a quick deal done.

DVLA are fully aware, after I wrote to them they rang me to find out exactly what went on, which I explained.

Apparently it's a common way of laundering money!

Well they have his mobile No, his name and the registration of the car he came in (however I didn't get his address), but they said that's not a problem because they can enter his name on the computer and as they have a rough idea where he lives they can find him!  :thumbup:

I don't want to get stitched up, and even more I don't want somebody else getting stitched up.

Can you imagine how they would feel if they join this Forum and read this after they've bought the car!

DVLA are fully aware, after I wrote to them they rang me to find out exactly what went on, which I explained.

Apparently it's a common way of laundering money!

Well they have his mobile No, his name and the registration of the car he came in (however I didn't get his address), but they said that's not a problem because they can enter his name on the computer and as they have a rough idea where he lives they can find him!  :thumbup:

That's good, be interesting to see what unfolds there. Seems you've done all you can, would it be worth a police report?

I've just reported it to E-Bay as a fraudulent listing.

Oh and the only reason I sold her was because I've ordered a brand new 03 Octy VRS, personally I think he's ruined a very good example of a Mk1 VRS with some tasteful mods and was a real sleeper.

He's even advertising the fact it has a boost gauge under the stereo, I fitted that and the stereo was only a few weeks old and I was going to remove it, but because of his haste I didn't get a chance.

Once again DON'T GO NEAR THIS CAR OR THE GUY SELLING IT :devil: .

Regards

An extremely pi**ed of Andy.

Ah, see he shares the same first name as you... very clever

Oh pi*s off!

Unless it's a wind-up.

Not a dig at you in anyway mate, you've took that the wrong way.

In the ebay add he's put 'Andrew' at the end of it. I guess when the potential buyer turns up he will pass off that he's you and hand over the log book still with your details on and make out he's recently moved etc

This is terrible i feel so sorry for everyone that is or will be involved in this. But Briskoda and particularly Vrs Tom has came up trumps on this so many good honest people on here makes me proud to be a forum member. Owned the car 10 years! Some people just have no shame. As mentioned already though, if he hasn't changed the V5 address then it wont match with the address he's selling it from so thats easy to suss. Unless someone buys it from a carpark or something.

Just caught up on this thread, its a sad truth but i live by a few principles, one of which is 'if their lips are moving, they're lying'!!!

Truth always wins out mate, the police and CPS would probably be able to do something with this, have you thought of contacting them? 

I assume you are not Andrew Wilks but another Andy. :)

I can vouch for Butchvrs being genuine as have met him several times.

Hi Jason,

Yes I am the Andy (Butchvrs) that lives opposite Pete.

And no, it wasn't any of those people.

Regards

Andy (the one who used to own OV52WGX!)

This is terrible i feel so sorry for everyone that is or will be involved in this. But Briskoda and particularly Vrs Tom has came up trumps on this so many good honest people on here makes me proud to be a forum member. Owned the car 10 years! Some people just have no shame. As mentioned already though, if he hasn't changed the V5 address then it wont match with the address he's selling it from so thats easy to suss. Unless someone buys it from a carpark or something.

That's the thing if he meets someone 'halfway' they will be unaware of the deception. Hopefully ebay will take it down which will be a start, however it can always turn up in local paper or auto trader.

I still don't get the engine thing, what's going on with that? I doubt if the car needed a rebuild following Butchvrs' ownership and as said getting 16000 miles on it in 7 weeks is some achievement.

very easy to do - forge receipts that is - you'd want to be phoning any garage numbers given and checking

So whats the actual legal status of a car like this - I assume there has to be some form of legal offence for incorrectly registrying/failing to re-register - I see the last owner has informed the DVLA, but what happens ?

In an ideal world members here with ebay accounts would be jumping into the questions section of his ebay ad and bombarding him with embarassing questions about all the anomolies in his ad..........not that I'm suggesting such a terrible intrusion into his life...........perish the thought...... :angel::notme:

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance with this whole saga but what exactly is the issue? Is it that the v5 wasnt registered in the new sellers name?

1. The V5 he has is not valid as the person listed on the V5 (butchvrs) has informed the DVLA that he no longer owns the car. If someone buys it they may have trouble when trying to declare to the DVLA that they are the new keeper.

2. The MOT and tax info in the advert is misleading (it's not taxed and does not have a full 12 month MOT). Buyer could turn up in the belief it's taxed, take it for a test drive and get stopped by the police for driving a vehicle with no tax.

3. The seller claims it's had an expensive engine rebuild with uprated internals and covered 16000 miles with it. Seems unlikely in the space of ~7 weeks! Potentially fraud if the car has not had the work done that he says it has.

• Like 1