Dennis Horton & Son Ltd - Lincoln..

DGW

Big shout out to john day in sales.

since i ordered my octavia in september he has kept in regular contact with me to update build dates.

latest call today was with bad news that it had gone back 1 week.

therefore he is more than willing to give bad news as well as good.

Top Bloke

Picked my new octavia up yesterday (16 Dec).

once again john day came up trumps.

he his an old school salesman who treats every customer like royalty - sadly this kind of treatment is very rare these days.

car was exactly as specced and he took time to go through everything with me.

only 1 slight moan, i paid almost 19k for my new car - would half a tank of fuel be too much to expect ??

Edited by DGW
Two posts merged.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

A lot of praise for Dennis Horton and son on this forum...... I am totally baffled.

They fitted a new Cambelt on my Mk1 Octy vRS on 74,000 miles. 4 weeks later Cambelt snaps and destroys engine, taking all 20 valves with it! Mechanic inspects car and denies any responsibility, putting it down to a seized water pump. "We tested the water pump for play when we did the belt and it was perfect" according to servicing team.........Evidently not.

I have since spoken to a number of different Skoda dealers and VAG mechanics and nearly all concur that it is absolutely routine to fit a new water pump on a 1.8t 20v engine of that age - I relied on them entirely to offer me the best advice for the welfare of my car and never once questioned any decision or diagnosis they made, allowing them free reign at all times to carry out ANY work they deemed neccessary, sometimes at very significant expense. What a total let down. They offered me a new engine at over £3000 and tried to market that to me as a bargain..........thanks but no thanks. Bought an engine off ebay (£660) and got a recovery truck to take my car to the brilliant VAG autocare services in North Hykeham where Gareth fitted for £500.

My view, though apparently not the consensus, is that this dealership are a total disgrace, I trusted them 100% and they left me with a total write off with no offer of apology or even consolation.

Also worth mentioning is that the famous John Day who everybody seems to adore is really very annoying indeed....... very.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Had my MkII diesel Skoda Octavia VRS in with these today.

I bought the car from a Renault dealer and got the recll notice to have the injectors 'checked' as I'm in Scunny my nearest dealers is this one, Donny or Hull. I chose Lincoln for the shopping.

I rang Tuesday and the car was immediately booked in for my injectors to be checked, I was then phoned back by the service mnanager who explained that he wanted it earlier incase they needed to be replaced rather than checked and had already ordered the parts to prevent me making another journey.

I was also called the night before to remind me I was booked in and when I was running late got another call to tell me there was an accident en route that I should avoid.

The staff were very helpful I was warned that there wouldn't be a courtesy car available when I made the booking but I was sorted with a lift too and from town. I have to say the waiting area with a large TV, selection of mags and coffee machine wouldn't have been the worse place to spend a few hours anyway.

Once the work as done (injectors were replaced) they advised me about some 'issues' they found which got alarm bells ringing but there was no hard sale for the work. Advised tyres were getting low (I already knew) and that there is an oil leek around the turbo (I didn't know this an it is worrying) I left with the number of a member of staff and an offer for them to ring the people I have my warranty with to discuss if I have any further issues.

All staff throught dealings have been friendly, courteous and professional.

As a result of the good service I'll be using Dennis Horton come servicing time.

Edited by darren9

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new here and joined because I bought a new Yeti SE last Fri. So far v impressed generally with Hortons. Much was made about them being a family firm etc, so will return this week with a few questions to see if that holds up. One thing that bugged was the PDI signed off last Nov! Vehicle only had 13 miles on the clock so it had not been the business runabout, but I'm miffed that I've effectively lost almost 3 months before the 1st service due date. Will talk to the service manager on Mon.

The car is excellent (thus far) we had a RAV 4 a couple of years ago, but I prefer this.

Edited by Old Ned

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Extremely pleased with the parts department, I reside in Essex so I order my parts via the internet. Very quick in replying to my e-mails and kept me informed at all times. Genuine Skoda parts from Dennis Horton are always cheaper than other dealers. Top Marks!

• 2 weeks later...

Not been to Horton's for some time, so it was good to see that their service appears to have improved since our last visit in 2006 (service manager they had then must have moved on). Went there looking for a base model Fabia II, as their advertised prices were noticeably lower than our more local dealers for comparable spec, age and mileage. Suffice to say we managed to secure an acceptable price to change without any real 'hard work' required.

However we were not so happy about a couple of their polices, which restricted us to only being able to collect during the 'working' week (day off work needed) and having to pay at least one day before collection, resulting in an extra trip down at the weekend (at additional cost), as we were paying the small balance to change in cash from an old fashioned pass book account.

The car itself was well prepared, albeit not quite back from the valeting bay when we arrived and the handover professional. Overall bar those ridiculous policies, not a bad experience and worth the visit.

TP

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been back in with the Fabia; see post 33, for it's first MOT. Service were very good, quickly identified and fixed a knocking noise from the front suspension (bolt associated with the ARB needed re-torquing) and replaced a faulty bulb I'd missed FOC. Even apologised for me waiting longer than they intended, not that I'd noticed I'd been there that long anyway. Oh and they even gave it a much appreciated wash :) Please keep up the good work :yes:

TP

• 1 month later...

Bought a used Octavia vRS on an 02 plate from a general car dealer last week, found a few niggles with it but as it wasn't local, I decided to pay Hortons a visit and see what they thought of the problems.

When you walk through the doors, you're greeted to a light and airy space with the new Skoda models on the showroom floor, Skoda merchandise on display alongside a vintage Skoda motorcycle. The sales team are milling around but will stop and say hello, asking you if you're alright and need any help etc. Very impressed and I've not even walked up to the tech desk yet! There, I ask if someone will be willing to talk me through a few aspects of my car (didn't have a handbook so didn't know what some buttons did etc). Carl was on hand and walked me through certain things, explained clearly the common faults with my Octavia Mk1 and specifically the vRS. When he'd identified my main problems (CL not working on the front doors), we went back inside and booked me in for 1pm the next day for a diagnosis of any fault codes. I asked for the same day but unfortunately they were fully booked in the workshop.

Hortons quickly diagnosed the problem the next day as well as compiling a thorough healthcheck of the car with a green/amber/red system, description and cost (genuine parts and fitting). Although I won't be using genuine parts, it gives me a good idea of what will be needing to have done in the next 12 months and I have no hesitation in using Hortons in future. Throughout the whole experience with Hortons, I felt welcomed and like a valued customer, something I've not experienced with the local Vauxhall or Ford dealers. On the wall of the waiting area, Hortons proudly display their awards for best dealer, best in customer service etc, and I can see why they earned the accolades - they are good people.

• 1 month later...

Took my 55 plate Red VRS in on Saterday for a service £69 seeing as i have a voucher booklet from my new blackline. Absolute bargain very efficient while i was there they carried out a check of the coil packs and noted they have a replacement campaign against them so replaced all 4 F.O.C and still only took them a short while they even investigated my rear washer not working problem and replaced the jet for £5. The awards that cover there walls for best dealer etc are very rightly deserved and makes it worth travelling all the way from rainworth. I will never use local rainworth dealers again but Horton will be selling me my next car all being well. 10/10

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In reply to the above...do you work for Horton's? They have been useless in the warranty work on my Octavia estate... I would tell you about it but my fingers would be worn out typing.

In reply to the above...do you work for Horton's? They have been useless in the warranty work on my Octavia estate... I would tell you about it but my fingers would be worn out typing.

No i don't work for them mate i don't know anyone who works there either. I am that impressed with their levels of service that i decided to take the time to post. It is possible you had a bad experience and that can happen with any dealership. As i mentioned I had a realy bad experience with Rainworth Skoda. I live next door to them practically yet i now travel all the way to lincoln because the service is 10 times better in my experience. I am surprised to hear you had any problems with them but you have my sympathy as i know what its like when a dealer takes your pride and joy and cocks it up. Have you tried tellng Hortons Management about your experiences I have found them very accomodating however if you get no joy then try Skoda HQ.

• 2 months later...

I went in to Hortons after a bad sales experience with a second hand garage and I vowed never to use a none dealer ever again.

I cannot give John Day enough credit for his brilliant service. He was very sympathetic when I explained what happened to my previous Fabia and was very helpful and answered all my questions. He even gave the cars a quick clean before my test drives!! He's so polite and well mannered and on the day I picked the car up he even came in suited and booted on his day off as he's now semi retired. He explained all the controls etc. and the voucher book was a lovely surprise! I will definitely go back there despite my local dealer being 40 minutes closer!

• Like 2

Just took my Little Sis in yesterday to have a look at cars she just learning to drive she fell in love with the Citigo Sport that was in the show room few hours later managed to convince my Dad to buy it for her got a good deal off the list price. Sales experience excellent as usual. New trainee Richard Salesman who was previously apparently in charge of the Valeting Department was very polite and accommodating. There going to have to set me on as a salesman soon the amount of customers I have sent there way lol. I hope they read this I want some commission

Just took my Little Sis in yesterday to have a look at cars she just learning to drive she fell in love with the Citigo Sport that was in the show room

Was that the red one? Lovely car!!

Yep the red one is now hers, even I like it and im not usually keen on little shopping car types. I was surprise by the amount of room inside its like a tardis.

• 1 month later...

Went ito have my car serviced, and as usual I was greeted with a professional and smiling saleman (Oliver Horton) who recognised me before i even spoke (maybe telepathy is part of the training regime?) I know my car was going to be there a few hours (wasn't just the first service, it needed a new wiring loom for the glow plugs?), I brought 'things to do' but He insisted I take a courtesy car (which I hadn't ordered or expected) overall a good positi ve experience, the biggest issue now is my son  (8yr old) hasn't stopped talking about the Octy VRS estate in the showroom, guess I know what the wife's next car is?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to moan about somewhere i

Ihad previously got good service from but I am due to change my Fabia VRS diesel and saw a nice Race Blue Octy VRS on the website i enquired via the webpage regarding a test drive and got no response i then enquired about a valuation on my car and still no response, what is the point of having a webisite if no one repsonds to queries from potential customers, i'm sad to say they may have lost a sale as i was more than prpeared to buy this VRS from them pending a test drive.

Ihad previously got good service from but I am due to change my Fabia VRS diesel and saw a nice Race Blue Octy VRS on the website i enquired via the webpage regarding a test drive and got no response i then enquired about a valuation on my car and still no response, what is the point of having a webisite if no one repsonds to queries from potential customers, i'm said to say they have lost a sale as i was more than prpeared to buy this VRS from them pending a test drive.

Have people forgotten the art of communication?

What's wrong with actually picking up the phone and physically speaking to someone?

Websites aren't the be all and end all

Nose bitten off to spite face comes to mind

Ihad previously got good service from but I am due to change my Fabia VRS diesel and saw a nice Race Blue Octy VRS on the website i enquired via the webpage regarding a test drive and got no response i then enquired about a valuation on my car and still no response, what is the point of having a webisite if no one repsonds to queries from potential customers, i'm said to say they have lost a sale as i was more than prpeared to buy this VRS from them pending a test drive.

Just give em a call pal. Often companies outsource Web admin to third parties i doubt very much Horton's have anything to do with the Website directly. And there could be a multitude of reasons for them not getting your email. It could be down to a header or footer containing code that their antivirus doesn't like and quarantining it. You can't really say this is Horton's Fault just give them a call.

Hi Guys i do know how to communicate and this is something i moan at my daughter about as everything is done by text and when they meet face to face they don't know what to danyway I digress, its not always possible to use my phone during work hours so I thought the website would be a good idea, I will give them a call when i get a spare minute but this will more than likely be Saturday now. I may have already found another car somewhere else now but if this is no good then Hortons are my back up plan..

Hi Guys i do know how to communicate and this is something i moan at my daughter about as everything is done by text and when they meet face to face they don't know what to danyway I digress, its not always possible to use my phone during work hours so I thought the website would be a good idea, I will give them a call when i get a spare minute but this will more than likely be Saturday now. I may have already found another car somewhere else now but if this is no good then Hortons are my back up plan..

Tell them I recommended you........they know me quite well  :)