Wheels offset - vRS - how far out?

4 years already, love the Gigaro's but mounting/un-mounting tyres to and from them twice a year just doesn't make any (economical) sense. So it's finally time for getting a 2nd set of wheels. Can't stand seeing the car on steelies or other poorly styled cheap wheels for a good 5 months per year so I reckon I'll leave the winters on the Gigaros, and buy a nice new set to accompany the Federals.

Question is, the new wheels being 7.5J (it's a size that gives more options) means 6.35mm closer to the arc, then Federals at 215/40/17 get another ~5mm closer, so to my understanding, with stock offset (ET41) it would be as 10mm spacers are on. If that calculation is right I think any wheel with an offset lower than 41 might be too close or even outside the arcs, and I wouldn't like that. Which, makes this lovely wheel http://wheelsshop.se/7.50x17_ET35_PCD5x100_NAV63.30_Sparco_Pro+Corsa+Titanium_Matt+dark+titanium.faelg.html5?RimsAndWheels-carBrandId=4091&RimsAndWheels-carModelId=43754 not an option I'm afraid.

Can people report on what combinations of rim width & offset they've gone for and from which point on the increased width becomes a problem?

Cheers

So you all reckon a 7.5J / ET35 rim with a 215 wide tyre on won't be outside the arches then? According to willtheyfit.com the new wheel+tyre combo will poke out 12.4mm more than before.

Running ET28 front and ET25 rear with no problems

Are these 7.5J wheels Mano?

Edited by newbie69

So you all reckon a 7.5J / ET35 rim with a 215 wide tyre on won't be outside the arches then? According to willtheyfit.com the new wheel+tyre combo will poke out 12.4mm more than before.

and I have 15 mmm further out on the front and 20 mmm further put on the rear ;)

Nope they are 7.0J

These will fit fine. Front will be flush with the guards and back will fit inside the guards when you have it full loaded. These are almost the same as mine (I have 7.5J/ET36 with 215/40R17)

Edited by mmmRacer

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go for those Sparcos after I do some more research online.

Also, what about the TPMS sensors? Are they almost 150 gbp to buy an extra set? Had no idea they were so bloody expensive. If you don't install them are there any annoying lights/sounds on all the time?

isn't TPMS done through the ABS sensors? I don't think it matters what wheels you have as long as you reset it when you change the wheels over.

• Like 1

As above.

Just reset the TPMS when you fit different size tyres / wheels.  

(i had 2 slow punctures 2 weeks ago with one front tyre down to 12 psi & another at 20psi and no warning sounded or showed.)

The 3 VWG Twinchargers sister cars are on the same components as the vRS but with 215/40 R 17 Tyres as Standard.

Then the A1 122 ps Competition Line runs on 225/35 R 18 tyres, same Sensors & electronics..

Edited by goneoffSKi

They look good :)

They look very good getting 17 spiders powder coated satin black myself

Tell me about it... I absolutely loved them the moment I came across them. Wasn't aiming for that price range when I started looking, but since I know I am so particular with rims I soon realized if I didn't go for them, I wouldn't be sleeping peacefully... And with the brand new Federals on I think it's going to be a second honeymoon for me and the car when everything is installed. I'll update with photos of course in due time.

PS. Did I say that work has also started on a full TBE (in Greece)?  :p    I've seen some latest stage 2 files from TMG on Cupra's and the curves more than anything else are absolutely fantastic. Christmas are coming muuuch earlier this year.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 3