Help Advice Required - Water Ingress?

Hyeung

Hi,

I'm in need of some advice on a water ingress issue that has recently come to light.

Its an Oct 2012 62 plate Skoda Yeti 2.0 DPF Elegance 4x4 DSG.

The water ingress was only noticed yesterday after work on the way home. As I got in the car, I noticed a few drops of water as I adjusted the mirror. It turns out there were a few water drops leaking from the joint line around the rear view mirror assembly unit that's attached to the windscreen.

The following photos highlights the area where water was found. I do not believe there was any rain that day, so suspect water might have been accumulated from previous days?

Again it was not a lot, just a few drops and after soaking it up with a tissue that was it. It would appear a few of the drops fell into the storage compartment (damp paper) just in front of the DSG gear knob.

As you can see the mirror assembly unit is attached to the windscreen, and there was no evidence of any water around the surround joints. I also felt the upper interior and again no evidence of any dampness, same again around the lights etc.

There is also a plastic type tube that connects to the assembly unit, again no evidence of any water around this.

However, for water to appear in the location indicated, would suggest that the water drops are flowing thru this plastic tube and collecting on the assembly unit below.

There was no puddles of water to that extreme at the time...just noticed a few small drops.

I don't have a sunroof. However, my windscreen was replaced by Autoglass away back on Sept 2013.

So my first instincts that the issue may be related to surround seal around the top?

This evening I got a chance to tests thing out. So got the water hose out and concentrated on watering the top seal around the windscreen as shown in the photo below.

I must have sat there for a few minutes and then climbed back in to check for any water ingress....NOTHING!?

Repeated this another 2 - 3 times a few minutes apart, and rechecked for water ingress with paper towels......again NOTHING!?

So at the moment I'm rather clueless.

First of all, can anyone confirm how else can water enter the point as described?

One obvious answer is via the top seal around the windscreen (not sure if my tests are sufficient to confirm this.....but have tried and no joy?)

Although I have not tried to saturate water in other areas, could another possible point be a seal around one of the roof bar connections; or perhaps the seal around the rear aerial? 

There is also black channel stripes on both driver and passenger sides that run in line with the roof bars...Is this a possible entry point?

Reading other similar posts, there was mention of problem drain tubes located in the roof (but I assume this does not apply as it's only on sunroof versions)

Either way, I found it strange that there was no obvious dampness on the upper interior?

I was hoping with the water hose, I would be able to confidently determine if the leak was in fact the windscreen. In which case, I would simply go back to AutoGlass (or contact Aviva) regarding the issue and have them water test and/or refit the windscreen. However, it doesn't seem obvious where the issue lies now?

So do you reckon I'd be best to fire this back to the dealership for investigation instead? Obviously my warranty runs out toward Oct this year.

I'm less inclined to get the dealer involved if I know its a genuine windscreen issue, as they'll probably end up finding out and things might get messy if they've spent time looking at it when in fact its an AutoGlass issue all along?

Any advice on the possible areas to help narrow things down?
And also, what do you think is the best course of action in terms of the dealership or the windscreen company at this point?

This was my dilemma....hope something can help advise??

Cheers

I would take it to your dealer. If Skoda are at fault the warranty will cover it. If not, and they say it is the Autoglass replacement, you can then approach them armed with this information.

Colin

Can't see it being anything other than the replacement windscreen in view of the fact that it has been replaced combined with the location

As far as the possibility of the roof bars or the aerial being responsible, what about a bit of tape- not too strong! around the sealing points on the roof.

Again thinking of the windscreen you may need the car moving forward a speed whilst it is raining to drive the rain in round a defective seal.

In my opinion I would ring Autoglass and explain the situation and see what they say--they may have better methods to detect a problem. It might be helpful to point out your next stop is the main dealer, as if it is the windscreen, I would say Autoglass should pick up the bill/sort the problem

Quote from their website:

At Autoglass® we do everything possible to get things right first time, every time.  However, problems can occasionally occur and if one does we guarantee that we will act quickly to put matters right. In the unlikely circumstance that you do experience a problem simply call our dedicated Autoglass® Customer Care Line

And also:

Put simply, our workmanship is guaranteed for however long you own your vehicle.

Hi,

I'm in need of some advice on a water ingress issue that has recently come to light.

Its an Oct 2012 62 plate Skoda Yeti 2.0 DPF Elegance 4x4 DSG.

The water ingress was only noticed yesterday after work on the way home. As I got in the car, I noticed a few drops of water as I adjusted the mirror. It turns out there were a few water drops leaking from the joint line around the rear view mirror assembly unit that's attached to the windscreen.

The following photos highlights the area where water was found. I do not believe there was any rain that day, so suspect water might have been accumulated from previous days?

Again it was not a lot, just a few drops and after soaking it up with a tissue that was it. It would appear a few of the drops fell into the storage compartment (damp paper) just in front of the DSG gear knob.

As you can see the mirror assembly unit is attached to the windscreen, and there was no evidence of any water around the surround joints. I also felt the upper interior and again no evidence of any dampness, same again around the lights etc.

There is also a plastic type tube that connects to the assembly unit, again no evidence of any water around this.

However, for water to appear in the location indicated, would suggest that the water drops are flowing thru this plastic tube and collecting on the assembly unit below.

There was no puddles of water to that extreme at the time...just noticed a few small drops.

attachicon.gifMirror.jpg

attachicon.gifmirror side.jpg

I don't have a sunroof. However, my windscreen was replaced by Autoglass away back on Sept 2013.

So my first instincts that the issue may be related to surround seal around the top?

This evening I got a chance to tests thing out. So got the water hose out and concentrated on watering the top seal around the windscreen as shown in the photo below.

I must have sat there for a few minutes and then climbed back in to check for any water ingress....NOTHING!?

Repeated this another 2 - 3 times a few minutes apart, and rechecked for water ingress with paper towels......again NOTHING!?

attachicon.gifFront.jpg

So at the moment I'm rather clueless.

First of all, can anyone confirm how else can water enter the point as described?

One obvious answer is via the top seal around the windscreen (not sure if my tests are sufficient to confirm this.....but have tried and no joy?)

Although I have not tried to saturate water in other areas, could another possible point be a seal around one of the roof bar connections; or perhaps the seal around the rear aerial? 

There is also black channel stripes on both driver and passenger sides that run in line with the roof bars...Is this a possible entry point?

Reading other similar posts, there was mention of problem drain tubes located in the roof (but I assume this does not apply as it's only on sunroof versions)

Either way, I found it strange that there was no obvious dampness on the upper interior?

I was hoping with the water hose, I would be able to confidently determine if the leak was in fact the windscreen. In which case, I would simply go back to AutoGlass (or contact Aviva) regarding the issue and have them water test and/or refit the windscreen. However, it doesn't seem obvious where the issue lies now?

So do you reckon I'd be best to fire this back to the dealership for investigation instead? Obviously my warranty runs out toward Oct this year.

I'm less inclined to get the dealer involved if I know its a genuine windscreen issue, as they'll probably end up finding out and things might get messy if they've spent time looking at it when in fact its an AutoGlass issue all along?

Any advice on the possible areas to help narrow things down?

And also, what do you think is the best course of action in terms of the dealership or the windscreen company at this point?

This was my dilemma....hope something can help advise??

Cheers

Try using a mild mix of washing up liquid, and poor over the windscreen, this penetrates better than just water, on an older car I would use a wee bit of anti-freeze with water, we did this in the trade and it worked showing up the smallest leak.  Why anti-freeze, if anything anti-freeze would show up a leak anywhere.  Which leads me to think, do you get the leak when you use the  windscreen

washers.

I don't like the 'v' type seal above the windscreen I always clean it out with a soft brush, a lot of dirt runs into this channel. just for info.

Try using a mild mix of washing up liquid, and poor over the windscreen, this penetrates better than just water, on an older car I would use a wee bit of anti-freeze with water, we did this in the trade and it worked showing up the smallest leak.  Why anti-freeze, if anything anti-freeze would show up a leak anywhere.  Which leads me to think, do you get the leak when you use the  windscreen

washers.

I don't like the 'v' type seal above the windscreen I always clean it out with a soft brush, a lot of dirt runs into this channel. just for info.

I'm not entirely sure on this one. The night that I discovered the leak, I soaked up the moisture on the assembly. But at the same time I did try the washers to determine if more water would come in. However, I did not notice much and it could still have been the residue water remaining.

By the time I returned home everything was bone dry. I tried the washers a few times but no evident of any moisture.

However, I may have to manually pour more screenwash/water mix over the top area to be sure?

Tried Chilleys suggestion tonight - mixture of screen wash and water in a spray bottle. Sprayed tons all along the top edge of the windscreen. repeated this a few times, but unfortunately no moisture found around the area of the mirror as before?

I also tried using a pressure washer, blasting water across the top edge of the windscreen hoping to simulate water driven at speed into the defective seal as pointed out by Yetiscot. Repeated this a few times back and fore the edge.

Unfortunately once again no moisture found?

The last thing is to saturate water around the roof bars and aerial on another day perhaps....?

Just wondering what the thoughts are having used a pressure washer this time around. Is it perhaps beginning to look less likely a windscreen issue after all? Just curious what folk think. As I'm rather surprised there's no sign of moisture..

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just got round to contacting my Skoda dealership regarding the water ingress. Was expecting that they carry out the investigations and take things from there. However found it strange that they've said that the work will need to be pass onto their contracted body shop as it's not something they do?

They said they need to contact them to see their schedule but could be several weeks!?

And would likely require the car for the week.

Do reckon that's the norm?

Hi,

Just got round to contacting my Skoda dealership regarding the water ingress. Was expecting that they carry out the investigations and take things from there. However found it strange that they've said that the work will need to be pass onto their contracted body shop as it's not something they do?

They said they need to contact them to see their schedule but could be several weeks!?

And would likely require the car for the week.

Do reckon that's the norm?

Probably.

Tracking water is time consuming I'm thinking.

They'd probably start by heating to dry the car thoroughly in the oven and then trace the first sign of moisture to at least narrow down the general location as a beginning.

Edited by Ryeman

Well it's going in next Monday..

Having failed to replicate the issue by saturating water over the top seal on the front windscreen.....the issue came back over the weekend right after a car wash!

However this time I hosed the entire roof and it seemed to do the trick! after the wash found a damp patch over the edge of front interior roofline....next to the rear view mirror.

Hopefully their investigations will also show that the ingress is some other area of the roof rather than the windscreen.

Well it's going in next Monday..

Having failed to replicate the issue by saturating water over the top seal on the front windscreen.....the issue came back over the weekend right after a car wash!

However this time I hosed the entire roof and it seemed to do the trick! after the wash found a damp patch over the edge of front interior roofline....next to the rear view mirror.

Hopefully their investigations will also show that the ingress is some other area of the roof rather than the windscreen.

Hi...

looking for some advice....bad news as the dealership has advised the issue is the windscreen seal and are now claiming that I foot the bill for the investigations...

Awaiting to get a callback from autoglass warranty team regarding issue.

Dealer has advised to reduce things from 2 to 1 hr labour as a gesture. But still looking for about 80 odd quid..is that a standard hourly rate?

Thanks for the input.

Lots of hassling phone calls but managed to get Autoglass to foot the full costs of the investigations. So now got the car back and it's scheduled for the windscreen fix this weekend at home.

Dealer showed me the bad seal as they said during water tests it eventually showed a very small leak in that area. The area of the seal is obvious and looks like it was disturbed.

Can I ask, for a windscreen fix is it like to be a new windscreen or reuse of the existing one. As I'm nosure tho easily the come out without damage. Obviously a shiny new windscreen would be good.

Either way, to fix the seal I am rite that one should insist that the full seal is replaced involving the windscreen to be remove? So not a localised patch up.

Thanks for the input.

Lots of hassling phone calls but managed to get Autoglass to foot the full costs of the investigations. So now got the car back and it's scheduled for the windscreen fix this weekend at home.

Dealer showed me the bad seal as they said during water tests it eventually showed a very small leak in that area. The area of the seal is obvious and looks like it was disturbed.

Can I ask, for a windscreen fix is it like to be a new windscreen or reuse of the existing one. As I'm nosure tho easily the come out without damage. Obviously a shiny new windscreen would be good.

Either way, to fix the seal I am rite that one should insist that the full seal is replaced involving the windscreen to be remove? So not a localised patch up.

The will probably cut the old screen out, clean off the adhesive, and then refit with new adhesive.

It is possible to cut out a windscreen with no damage, but I bet there will be a spare Yeti windscreen on the van, just in case.

When scheduling the appointment they did confirm that a screen along with the external trim were ordered for the job.

So assumed it would automatically be a new windscreen replacement.

Then later someone mentioned to me that they may reused the exist screen....so wasn't sure which way it would go?

Hope it would be a new screen anyways?

• 5 years later...

Hi Hyeung,

I realise that your post was over 5 years ago, but I would be very interested in the outcome. Did Autoglass carry out any testing, did they find any faults when they removed the screen? Did they refit the original screen? And did they cure the leak? I’m in a very similar situation, with a small intermittent leak at the same location, but with a car that has already caused me a couple of years of grief with a leaky sunroof (which I think I fixed last spring). My Yeti had the windscreen replaced by Autoglass last summer, due to a stone chip.  I contacted them when I realised the car had developed another leak, and they sent someone very promptly, who removed the screen, confirmed the bead of sealant looked continuous, and refitted the newish screen. The car still has an intermittent leak onto the roof liner above the drivers seat.

Thanks Paul