Chapmans of Pickering

Originally posted by david_reed19 - Sat Mar 6, 2004

I went to Chapmans to enquire about buying a Fabia VRS and the service certainly didn't live up to my expectations.

One of the sales staff was fairly abrupt to the point of been rude once I mentioned that I could not sign on the dotted line that day but would like some time to think it over. They also wouldn't tell me how much they were prepared to give for my car or the finance details unless I said that I would be purchasing there and then.

How am I supposed to know if I am buying if I don't know how much it is going to cost?

Can't recommend a garage with that kind of service I'm afraid. I found the staff at Pullyens in York to be much nicer and so it will be them who will be recieving my order.

Originally posted by alltorque - Wed Jun 8, 2005

Purchased Fabia vRS in Sept '04 following "walk in" and immediate test drive. Most professional, and fun, dealings I have ever had with any car dealer over many years. Paid full list price but Supagard paint treatment and a tank of diesel offered in lieu of discount.........seemed like a good deal. By comparison, Pulleyns of York offered me a test drive "in a couple of days, all being well" and didn't seem particularly interested even though I was a cash buyer. Odd that we should have such diametrically opposed experiences of these two dealers.

• 10 months later...

I took my Mk1 Octavia vRS in for some warranty work (July 06). Even though the car was purchased elsewhere, they sorted things out in a polite and professional manner. A courtsey car was available both times ( a new Fiat Panda ) and the work done is top notch. I would recommend then to people and like to thank Chapmans for a great service.:thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Had a main service done there and found the mechanics very helpfull aspecially Bob.........

But one woman on reception was of no help what so ever, it was as though i asked her to do something and she couldn't be bothered.....

Will think twice about going back..............

I know which receptionist you mean. I went in once all suited and booted in my work clothes and she was all sweetness and light. I went in again in scruffy jeans & t-shirt and I was treated very differently. At the end of the day though, the car was sorted out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I had a rattly back brake which turned out to be a snapped retaining spring. They repaired it free of charge and even put new pads in for nothing. Brilliant service.

The only thing that let it down was that someone had taken the car out for a spin to check the brakes. Fine, other than the fact they must have been down a farm track or something as the tyres were filthy, someone with dirty boots in the passenger seat left an oily footprint on my otherwise pristine white carpet and the trip computer was reading 6 miles with an average consumption of 21mpg. This leads me to believe that a couple of lads had a bit of a rag round and no doubt didn't warm up the turbo before thrashing the car or let it cool down before turning it off, as the temp needle was at full temp when I set off.

This spoiled what was otherwise a very simple and pleasant experience. The service manager was great, just a shame the lads in the garage didn't leave the car in the same condition as I left it with them.:(

• 9 months later...

Hi and welcome to my first post!!

I would just like to give Chapmans a big thumbs up. Having not bought my Octy from them, it went in for the 2nd variable service & MOT. Having got prices from most of the North East / N Yorks dealers, their price was the lowest bar £20 and they did the brake fluid change as part of the service cost. Had a few warranty issues to do as well and all were done without any hassle. New windscreen (de-laminating!), bit of paintwork done due to zinc inclusion etc and all was done to a high standard. Service and bodywork staff were most helpful and the courtesy car was organised without hassle as well. Even got the car back clean (and those wheel trims were very dirty!!!)

Great. See you in 20,000.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my first posts also... although Im a regular visitor to this forum I have (so far) only owned VW's and now a Seat so tend to frequent seatcupra.net and uk-mkivs.net. I always find lots of good info on here though so :thumbup:

Now, the reason for my post.. Chapmans - oh dear...

Had my car booked in with them this morning - a 2007 Leon Fr Tdi, price was agreed to be the same as an Octavia VRS Tdi, having the same engine - 10k service.

Firstly they dont have a clue what oil to use, took ages to persuade them that this engine has to use the 507 spec oil - 99.9% sure this is the case with the Octavia - isnt it??

Secondly I was waiting while it was serviced. The guy said it would take a maximum of 1.5 hours so after 1.75 hours went back. Car was outside so presumed finished. Went in to pay and found they haddnt even started!!

Now I was with my 2 year old daughter who had been surprisingly patient so far, but no way could I wait any longer..

Needless to say car is now booked in at Seat, and there are 2 x 15m black lines leading from Chapmans to the main road (so Ive learned one thing - the electronic LSD works :) )

Rant over...

Keep up the good work, great forum btw!

Chris

• 1 year later...

Just bought an oldish Fabia Classic 54 from Chapman's for my lad as his first car. Screen price appeared steep considering it's age, plus it had obviously had a bit of cosmetic work done at some point to the front bumper and a wing; otherwise very clean and tidy with a good service history and low miles.

The saleman was very helpful in a no nonsense kind of way and willing to negotiate a good trade in price against a van that I no longer used, beating a total price to change given elsewhere for a cheaper Corsa.

On driving away I noticed a wheel wobble that had not been there on the test drive. Turned out they had replaced a bush as part of the Service/MOT but had not re-tracked it accurately, they also replaced the 4 tyres, as I was not happy with their condition (looked like the originals fitted 7 years ago emoticon-0124-worried.gif ). Appreciate this should have been done in advance of collection but there was no hassle, they just sorted it. So can't fault there customer service I suppose.

TP

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

15 months on from my first review of Chapman's and unfortunately my opinion of them has taken a nose dive, particularly the service side. Since we have had the vehicle there's always been a slight hesitation in acceleration under load and a noticeable pull to the left, both put down by Chapman's as a 'characteristic' of the 3 cylinder Fabia emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

More recently these symptoms have been getting more noticeable and with the addition of a vibration under braking from higher speed. With the warranty now expired I asked a friend who teaches motor vehicle apprentices to have a look. Turned out all these issues related to the front brakes; nearside calliper seized and binding and the disc was heavily corroded and blued, the offside was not much better, if anything the disc was even more corroded if not rotten in places. He estimated that to get in this condition would take some time maybe over a year or so.

It therefore begs the question why this was not picked up on it's last full service + MOT at the end of March, or the replacement of the console bushes in April (advisory from the MOT) and maybe even the pre delivery service and MOT the year before. Oh on top of this we found that two engine cover mounting grommets were missing, which explains the slight chatter from the engine bay at idle since that service in March emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Thankfully my mate had chance to get some new parts and fit them for me; transformed the car emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Thinks a letter to the service manager if not the boss is in order.

TP

• 1 month later...

Thinks a letter to the service manager if not the boss is in order.

TP

Well a month on from sending said letter I've heard nothing back. Can only assume they either did not receive it (possible knowing the post these days emoticon-0124-worried.gif ) or they feel that they can afford to loose the odd customer here and there. Funny way to run a business if that is the case emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

TP

• 1 year later...

Looking forward to seeing if Chapman's are worth their salt. Picked up a 2010 2.0 TDI PD Scout two weeks ago. I know I should've sold my Octy 1 Combi, 1.8T 4x4 51 plate through the forum for parts, but they offered me £1,000 against a book price of £475 so it seemed so low on hassle. Watch out for it at auction. I will weep when you pass me in it. It was new when bought as the first combi 4x4 RHD model. Custom Code 1 by JBS Auto Designs took it from 150 BHP to something nearer 200. ( their rolling road was being rebuilt when it was done). Forge D.V. and hoses, Green Cotton Filter, Powerflex bushes and engine mount, R32 23mm FARB, Tarox drilled and grooved all round with Ferrodo D2500 pads - practically new, Powerflo catback, Haldex performance box, G90 Corrado single plate clutch, Helix lightweight flywheel, Koni sport shock absorbers, H & R 65mm lowering springs. Steel Skoda sump guard, badly scarred! An amazing car that has out off and winter blocked roaded much beefier things like Landies and L200s remarkably well despite its lack of clearance, due to my skillful driving and posh winter tyres ;-)

When I went to collect the new car (with reserve fuel nearly showing) the guy who sold me it had A) not removed the horrible Halfords caravan stick on wing mirror blobby bits as requested, B) not removed the big Chapman's sticker in the back window as requested, C) Failed to locate and install the front mats that we noticed were missing during the test drive and insisted had to be part of the deal, D) was faffing around trying to fix the wrong sized wiring cover for the rear view mirror, a week down the line from signing on the line, when I arrived, E) said everything equipment wise was in the wheel well, no need to check, after I'd transferred my gubbins to the boot, and when I asked about the spare lamp bulbs (cos I had a pack in my own car) said they were there....WRONG) Also the handy anti rattle spare wheel tool holder I had in my old Octy was nowhere to be seen. After driving the car dirty, as opposed to show room, it immediately became obvious that the rear wiper was defective. It may just be the blade, but I suspect from the towing history of the car, and my owm experience of Octy rear wipers that the arm may need a new spring. I went on holiday, and when I got back had a letter saying he'd given me the out of date version of the vehicle transfer document. Could I send another to DVLA? Did he replace the stamp I'd wasted ? What do you think? I am very hopeful that Chapman's prove keen to keep their word, and after returning and wasting my fuel two ways and my stamps, will get everything right this Saturday, and make me a happy, returning customer.

Looking forward to seeing if Chapman's are worth their salt. Picked up a 2010 2.0 TDI PD Scout two weeks ago. I know I should've sold my Octy 1 Combi, 1.8T 4x4 51 plate through the forum for parts, but they offered me £1,000 against a book price of £475 so it seemed so low on hassle. Watch out for it at auction. I will weep when you pass me in it. It was new when bought as the first combi 4x4 RHD model. Custom Code 1 by JBS Auto Designs took it from 150 BHP to something nearer 200. ( their rolling road was being rebuilt when it was done). Forge D.V. and hoses, Green Cotton Filter, Powerflex bushes and engine mount, R32 23mm FARB, Tarox drilled and grooved all round with Ferrodo D2500 pads - practically new, Powerflo catback, Haldex performance box, G90 Corrado single plate clutch, Helix lightweight flywheel, Koni sport shock absorbers, H & R 65mm lowering springs. Steel Skoda sump guard, badly scarred! An amazing car that has out off and winter blocked roaded much beefier things like Landies and L200s remarkably well despite its lack of clearance, due to my skillful driving and posh winter tyres ;-)

When I went to collect the new car (with reserve fuel nearly showing) the guy who sold me it had A) not removed the horrible Halfords caravan stick on wing mirror blobby bits as requested, B) not removed the big Chapman's sticker in the back window as requested, C) Failed to locate and install the front mats that we noticed were missing during the test drive and insisted had to be part of the deal, D) was faffing around trying to fix the wrong sized wiring cover for the rear view mirror, a week down the line from signing on the line, when I arrived, E) said everything equipment wise was in the wheel well, no need to check, after I'd transferred my gubbins to the boot, and when I asked about the spare lamp bulbs (cos I had a pack in my own car) said they were there....WRONG) Also the handy anti rattle spare wheel tool holder I had in my old Octy was nowhere to be seen. After driving the car dirty, as opposed to show room, it immediately became obvious that the rear wiper was defective. It may just be the blade, but I suspect from the towing history of the car, and my owm experience of Octy rear wipers that the arm may need a new spring. I went on holiday, and when I got back had a letter saying he'd given me the out of date version of the vehicle transfer document. Could I send another to DVLA? Did he replace the stamp I'd wasted ? What do you think? I am very hopeful that Chapman's prove keen to keep their word, and after returning and wasting my fuel two ways and my stamps, will get everything right this Saturday, and make me a happy, returning customer.

As a trader i looked at this lovely 51 plate car with all the fancy extras only problem is the gearbox jumps out of 3rd gear there is a big water leak and the 4x4 system does not work properly, I think this man thinks if here shouts load enough he'll get something for free. Also with regards to the DVLA document surley that must have been his to give to the dealership and his is legal responsability to send off, i'm sure he would complain more if he got a speeding ticket because the document had not been sent. OK maybe not a speeding ticket as the car would probably brake down before it got upto speed!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

That's funny. I thought this forum was for customers of Škoda dealerships, not the traders. Nevertheless, welcome, I notice you have just joined our community and this is your first post. I'm sure other dealers may appreciate your loyal intervention. There is another forum for introducing yourself to the Briskoda community, however, and you may wish to be a little more open about your reason for joining us at this precise moment. This is the first time I have encountered a fellow Briskodian maligning another member's vehicle, but I will leave that with our trusty moderators. As for your concerns about the car, I am deeply disappointed that when you looked at it Chapmans did not talk you through the known issues I had explained to them, or share the documentation that included my hand written notes about these as well as a detailed service history and comprehensive receipts for work and mods since new. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if you were unfortunate enough to deal with the same sales assistant I bought the Scout from, who was economical with the truth and unreliable in a way I don't associate with Škoda dealers. For your information, the radiator has been thoroughly inspected, but if you want to fix the coolant leak will need to find someone with sufficient expertise to locate the coolant hose and turn the screw on the jubilee clip clockwise. Please don't use water - winter is coming and you should read the manual. Is it really you? I can believe it! There are no issues with the OEM 4x4 system or the Haldex Gen1 Performance Controller. Believe me, after 186,000 plus miles I would know. The 4x4 issue, as you describe it, is I think, the ESP warning light activating. As I tried to explain to the inattentive guy I was unlucky enough to do business with, this requires removal of the dashboard and replacement of the lateral stability sensor, for about £80-90 plus labour. With regard to the paper work, unlike tradesmen like yourself, Tis Me, I have no knowledge of the motor trade apart from the four Škoda dealerships, three VW dealerships, three tuners and one independent VAG mechanic I have dealt with over the years. Of all these I have found buying a car from Chapmans to be an experience entirely in a league of its own in terms of product knowledge, customer service and after sales care. Not a league I want to be in, however. I think it would be reasonable for someone like myself to ask an authorised dealer what they needed to do regarding paperwork at the point of part exchange, having presented their current and valid registered keeper's certificate to the salesperson. Basically I signed where I was asked to sign and posted what I was asked to post, but was surprised the slip I was presented with came from a booklet and wasn't from the certificate I'd just handed over. I assumed the guy working for Škoda knew best. He clearly made a paper work error and it would've been good manners to provide a stamp, rather than expect me to get to a post office during my working week. Ho, hum.

So, back to reviewing the experience of buying a Škoda from Chapmans. How were they after receiving a copy of my first post five days before my return visit to get the problems attended to? Well, when I took the car away after signing the balance of the £17,000 we agreed that I'd return as early to opening time as I could manage on Saturday two weeks later, for the rear view mirror wiring cover to be installed by someone who knew how to do it and had the correct part, and the sticky additions to the wing mirrors to be removed, as I'd expected them to be on receiving the car. I also expected that the full set of mats our salesperson had told us the car came with, in response to a specific question we asked because they weren't in the car when we test drove it, might have been located and reinstalled. I even, stupidly hoped that alerted to the fact the rear wiper arm was worn out, something might be done about that. I left the car with them from 9.30am to 11.15am but incurred a 45 minute trip each way and 52 miles at my own expense. The bare facts of Chapmans' aftersales follow up go like this. Obvious irritation and anger that I'd used the forum to invite them to do better on my return visit. No coffee or offers of a lift in to town this time. A total volte face still about the mats. The salesman insisted he said he "thought" there was a full set of mats, whereas myself and my wife distinctly heard him say there was a set. He explained this by saying he was sat in the back and there were mats in the back, so he guessed there'd be mats for the front. ROFL. Now, I could get them from eBay from £13.99 upwards. The disappointment for us was that three weeks down the line Chapmans were too tight to give us the car we thought we were buying when we signed on the line for the full £17,000. Its not about getting something for nothing, as Tis Me suggested in his post, its about upholding Škoda UK's reputation for service and honesty. If that were an issue I might have quibbled about the tyres, which are down to the wear indicators nearly four weeks after purchase and going to add at least £400 to our overall outlay. However I saw them, and accepted them. Its principled car dealing and a sense of customer satisfaction actually mattering that prompts me to spend so much of my precious r. & r. time writing reviews to strengthen the brand in UK. I have evangelised about Škoda for years and persuaded many satisfied drivers to give them a go, so it is frustrating when their own business associates undermine their credibility so comprehensively. Did they do anything about the rear view mirror wiring cover while I was kicking my heels? No. Did they sort the rear wiper? No. Did they bung in a spare bulb pack? No. Valet or wash? No. They got the sticky things off the wing mirrors and expected me to be happy after wasting a quarter of my weekend. I am so annoyed I can't bear ever to go back even if I wind up out of pocket, and I will be writing to Alasdair Stuart to explain why.

• 3 months later...

Turns out the windscreen wasn't made by Skoda. that kind of explains why the rear view mirror is in the wrong place (too low) and obscures the view of the road ahead. I'd stupidly expected the approved by Skoda Skoda to be all Skoda. Silly me. Might an approved Skoda reseller be expected to check such things, do you think, and point them out? How does their extended warranty work if they are selling stuff they don't make?

have to say Billy Craven the manager at chapmans is the best car sales man i have so far encountered always friendly and ready to help in any way he can and will rate him even higher if he manages to get my new car delivered and ready to pick up on the 1st march 2013 fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

My 1.8Tsi Elegance suddenly popped up a "service in 2 days" warning last week even though mileage is low and it is only 15 months old. Chapmans were very helpful over the phone and booked car in for today for a check and service if required. No faults found and oil sensor saying it needs a change. Discussed options over the phone and agreed to undertake a first service and convert to annual service regime. All completed as expected at reasonable cost and car returned cleaned inside and out. Very happy with the service.

• 5 months later...