Sudden handbrake lever slack

rossmoffat

Apologies if this question has been asked/answered here but the only information I could find regards a similar issue related to a Fabia which was resolved by the simple tightening of a nut on a linkage under the console.

So the handbrake cable (MK1 Yeti Elegance) suddenly became slack on parking up a couple of days ago. I'd pulled up the lever as usual, and instead of a couple of inches movement, there was what felt like a sudden 'give' leaving 5-6 inches movement with the brake not being fully drawable as there was/is no more play left on the action before the lever stops against the console. The handbrake light warning comes on right away as if the sensor believes all is OK.

I have read threads relating to caliper/cable return springs etc, but I'm pretty sure that the handbrake isn't binding, it felt like the cable had 'slipped' somewhere on the mech. I can't see a way to prise off the centre console if indeed I could actually get a look if I could.

Any advice to help me resolve this without taking the car to a service agent would be much appreciated. ;)

Cheers

Ross

It sounds like its snapped, probably where it attatches to the acuating lever on the brake due to corrossion.

The switch that brings on the light is on the handbrake lever so it has seen that its not fully retracted and operates the light.

So the handbrake still functions a little when the lever us pulled high up which makes me think that the cable hasn't 'snapped', it just feels as if the cable isn't as tight as it was. Because it went to that state suddenly (when I pulled the lever up), it makes me think that something has slipped rather than broken, like a bicycle cable would through a securing nut if it wasn't tightened enough. What I meant by the warning light is that it comes on at exactly the same point as it ever did, i.e. when the handbrake lever is lifted by about an inch or so but that at that point, the brake isn't even starting to engage.

So I've taken off the wheels and the answer is somewhere between slipped and snapped as one cable (driver side) has snapped so the passenger side can slip. It seems the cables are 'balanced' somewhere so that a broken cable one side allows the unbroken cable the other side to go slack.

2052pfd.jpg

The unbroken cable is so slack that when the handbrake isn't applied, the nipple can be teased out by hand ... fnar, fnar.

rhpp9z.jpg

Now to hunt down a cable and find out if the job is easily doable at home.

Edited by rossmoffat
  • Like 1

Wee update for anybody needing to replace a cable (left or right hand side) in the future. Contrary to the on-line manuals, there is no need to remove the central console, just the rear ashtray/box, vent box and plastic vent pipe. That gives sufficient access to the handbrake cam to fit the cable and adjust its tension.