Mitchell Skoda - Chester

DGW

Originally posted by Liam - Mon Oct 18, 2004

I have nothing but good things to say about Mitchells, this showroom or West Kirby. This is the first car I've had from them but the 3rd our family have had. The staff always make you feel welcome, the place has a nice atmosphere. We've dealt with one person specifically for all 3 cars - Fred Arnell, one of the nicest, most genuine salespeople we've ever come across - he can't do enough for you.

Absolutely no problems from walking in for the first time to collecting the car, A*.

The new showroom here at Ellesmere Port is shared with Mazda, they have Lexus on-site too. It's a wonderful new showroom with all the latest facilities. Relaxing leather chairs, plasma TV's, internet access & refreshments await the customer whilst their car is in for a service or the free Saturday morning car wash - every customer receives this for the entire ownership of the car.

All this is not to say that you wouldn't receive the same service from the West Kirby showroom, you do, but we came here to see Fred.

Can't recommend this dealer highly enough...

Originally posted by craigwood - Sat Nov 13, 2004

only been in the showroom twice

once to find out about a rear spoiler and once to try to get some help with my headlights being too low

on both visits i am still waiting for them to phone me back

have to go to liverpool to get them sorted oout

Originally posted by Keeno - Sat feb 25, 2005

First visit here and I am well impresed, I have just turned up on a saturday morning with my brake lights sticking on, and they couldnt have been more helpful in trying to fit me in.

The showroom has fantastic facilities, internet (doing this now!!) plasma telly, doughnuts coffee etc.

I will get my next service done here for sure and probably wait till its finished!!

Originally posted by VikkiVRS - Tue Apr 12, 2005

hi, mitchells both have been nice to me especially mark in west kirby but went to cheshire oaks to get a 10k service which i think included the 1 yr as well greasby where going to charge £180e port said well do it for £150 so went there yesterday they even done the fuel pump bolt recall for me while the service was getting done that meant i didn't have to go to greasby todayand because i don't like heights they took me upstairs to the waiting room through the back stairs very nice and friendly good selection of drinks didn't use internet (but no doughnuts) :-( the service manager was very nice he was asking why didn't i go and have the service done at west kirby and he said how did you find the prices and was talking about the internet and asked me about briskoda so he was going to have a look at what everyone has been saying about the different dealers. very nice visit and car also got a wash nice and shiny now down side is have to go back as they forgot to sign my service book

• 10 months later...

Hmm....

mixed experince at this dealership. Bought Octavia VRS from the famous/infamous Fred Arnell. Ultimate car salesman, wondered why his teeth had a metallic gleam, wouldn't leave him alone near any possible prey, but nice enough bloke and after a lot of poker facing came away with resonable deal....

Experince of service was not so great, left hanging around for five hours (but Cheshire Oaks next door) after explaining that needed car serviced but because of work/home location their offer of courtesy car wouldn't help. Originally promised car in two hours, but by five beyond a joke. Free car wash, unlimited coffee, abundant floral tributes help (do these people have shares in a garden centre?) but overall left with feeling customer service is only a thin veneer.

Try the place yourself, just hope you're not disappointed

I had a good experience with them on my former Fabia vRS's second annual service. Came and collected it from my work in the morning, and had it back by 5 with all the little niggles sorted (I'd left them a list in the car).

Helpful and corteous on the phone, with competitive pricing compared to Horners and Claybank.

I was pleased with the service and if I still had a Skoda I'd use them again :)

Steve

• 1 month later...

I was a prospective owner of a Fabia vRS. I talked with Fred Arnell who sits in a dark corner at Cheshire Oakes. Which is still for sale at the time I write this.

All I can say is Fred is old school. He made no atempt to be friendly. I had to work out figures before I was even allowed a test drive.

I walked away that day with a very bad impression of him, but a good one of the Fabia vRS.

I came back a week later monday 16th October 2006. Not because of Fred's walmth or charm, but because I saw a black Fabia 06 plate on the lot.

Had to deal with Fred "Do I want it or not!?" Arnell. His attitude was poor. Maybe its because I am 26 and he is in his 50's. I do not know.

Couldn't get his facts straight on the black vRS, apparently the suspension had been tweeked but he had no documents to prove this, so what I'm meant to tell my insurer I don't know. Up shot was the car actually had 5000 more miles than the one he was "twisting" me arm on. I started looking across the lot at the Mazda dealership which shares the same building. I have now put a deposit down on a Audi A6. dealing with a Guy called Paul Allerton who use to work for Ford and is new to the dealership.

I have put a deposit down and I want to get the Car ASAP....

Now I am getting messed around big time, because they only sell cars on saturday and you can't pick it up then, and Friday is Paul's day off and nobody else can do the handover. Hoping to pick it up tommorrow, apparently a day early. But Paul wants to MOT the car now just incase it would fail its first MOT which is due in Feb '07. I see this as a get out clause.

If you have read this far down I will post what happens tommorrow so you can follow this "customer experience" as it happens.

They are impressive facilities at the Mitchelle dealer. At the moment though I would settle for no internet, no leather seats, no free coffee, no marble in the toilets, and no tour of the service area around the back. For an Audi which sells itself. I don't want a ceremony, or the MD to shake my hand, or a fruit basket/flowers. I just want the car Paul and Mitchell Group.

To be continued.....

EDIT: the comments below refer to Mitchells in West Kirby (just down the road), I didn't read the title of the thread properly :o

I bought my octy from Mitchells Skoda originally, and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

I did have a couple of posts on Briskoda about the way they behaved, I'll see if they're still around. Might be too old now.

Honestly, I would avoid them at all costs. This is just my opinion from personal experience.

Oh, and if anyone from Mitchells reads this and threatens me, I'll happily see you in court ... :(

Had to deal with Fred "Do I want it or not!?" Arnell. His attitude was poor. Maybe its because I am 26 and he is in his 50's. I do not know.

Ha, he's the one that could have sold us our Octy, but he steadfastly refused to even speak to SWMBO. That wasn't a good move ... ;)

I have never dealt with Fred Arnell, although I have spoken with people who have. I have now bought 2 cars from Mitchells on both occasions I have dealt with Ross Thompson who has never given me any problems. In fact he has gone out of his way finding prospective cars for me on more than occasion for me to change my mind !!

I had no problems ordering my new Superb from them, and the deal they gave me was better than an internet provider - without me having to play that card. Mitchells are the third Skoda dealer I have dealt with and they are by far the best.

• 1 month later...

Only had one dealing with Mitchells Cheshire Oaks - and it wasn't good.

My Octy II had a jamed CD in the single slot player - knew I should have put that one in the multichanger but oh well.

Problem was radio sounded like a time bomb - no radio or cd but more disconcerting the banging continued and I could not turn the radio off. This was 11am on a Sat and I was 200 miles away from my 'Regular' dealer.

Called in to Mitchells - met someone who could only be described as an older middle aged sales guy who would not even get up from the chair in his glass office. His response 'Call The AA' and 'Please remove the car from the forecourt'. I wouldn't care - I own a 55 reg Octavia II Elegance not an old Estelle. Maybe the guy was scared this would put customers off - but he could have least come out to see what the problem was rather than continue chatting to his rather underworked colleague.

One of the other sales people (Zdenka who is Czech) was by far more helpful - she had just returned from a test drive as I was leaving and did her best to help. Thankfully the CD dislodged itself eventually but let me say that I will not be returning to this dealership.

This does not bode well for my move to the north west. Indeed Vikki now has a non Skoda supplied by a dealer who cares (Windsors). Indeed I am solely tempted to but a Mazda 6 from said dealer (funny though - Mitchells also have the Mazda Dealer at this site).

But my feeling is - go somewhere else if you want a Skoda.

Glad mine is now out of guarantee. The quality of service was not good and service book requirements not followed (still hasn't had brake fluid changed). I'd rather have all my tools back than a free cup of coffee. Only once visited West Kirby (new site not then opened) for service and found them rude and unhelpful. The car is very good, but unlikely I'll buy another Skoda as having to deal with this company has put me off.

• 2 weeks later...

****update*****

If you read a bit further up You will see I had dealings with this dealership.

I got my car in the end but the "salesman" tried everything to get me to pick it up at a time best for him.

I bought an Audi A6 in the end after FRED ARNELL, who is in my opinion a C*ck.

I should be driving around in a Fabia VRS, It would have been so easy to sell me this car. But FRED ARNELL screwed another sale up and the guy has been going at least 30 years on the wirral selling cars. I wonder how many sales he has lost and how much money in commission he has cost himself over the years.????

Anyway Mitchell MAZDA sold me the AUDI as its building is joined to the SKODA building. PAUL ATHERTON told me I couldn't have it on the day I wanted because There were no delievery times l;eft that day and it was his day off, and only he could do the hand over etc etc....

I take the car back the next day to have the engine underpanell pinned, and there is PAUL ATHTHERTON formally of FORD, Working on his "DAY OFF". What a Guy!!!

I would advise anyone not to be taken in by the Nice building. *** DO NOT DRINK THEIR ROCKET FUEL COFFEE **** Keep your head on and If you dont like how you are being treated walk away.

It gave me some satisfaction Rubbing the fact FRED ARNELL lost a sale RIGHT IN HIS FACE.

ALSO the Czech SKODA SALESWOMAN IS VERY HOT!!! so again keep your head on whilst striking a deal.

I have just ordered my Fabia VRs from Mitchell Skoda and am delighted. My family has bought cars from Mark Mitchell for several years now and he and his company (particularly his right hand man Neil Crowden) have been superb.

I went to talk to Fred Arnell specifically, since he had sold my sister her Fabia VRs. I started talking with Fred about my requirement and he was superb, polite, well informed - he actually talked me out of a rash thought to buy an Octy VRs petrol turbo!! Which was exactly the right thing to do.

I am 38, I play with all my cars and am a slightly ageing boy racer, yet Fred treated me with the same respect and attention that he treats my father with.

I must admit that I was less impressed with the sales manager, but hell - these are car sales people and it kind of goes with the teritory. Some people will make better connections with one sales person than another - if you don't connect with the sales person, walk away and try someone else.

Fred was on holiday when I went in to sort out the order and pay the deposit. I have done that with Zdenka Sefton, who has also been amazingly helpful. She has sorted out a courtesy car for me until my new car arrives and is ordering some Octy 2 badges etc so I can have them fitted straight away. Her current company ride is a Fabia VRs and she is well informed and enthusiastic. And yes Vasca, she is pretty HOT!!

It is also important to remember that while they 'only sell cars on a Saturday' the real point is they are closed on a Sunday. Mark Mitchell is a very principled religious chap, who totally believes that Sunday is a day of rest, for him and all his employees. So they close - end of story.

They used to run the Mitsubishi dealership on the Wirral and Mitsubishi wanted them to open on Sundays because the competitors were doing so. Mark declined there offer and walked away from a very profitable franchise. Mitsubishis loss and Mazda, Lexus and Skodas good fortune!!!

Can you think of many other people who have such strong beliefs (and frankly huge balls) to do that!!!

We all used to be closed on Sundays - is it such a great thing that we can all shop 24/7 now????

Will let you know how I get on with ownership - I anticipate great things!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought two new Fabias from Mitchell's both through Fred Arnell. No problems at all getting the deals I want - He tends to give very good prices for the new car (beating the target prices from magazines/websites) and tries to get it back on the PX (so know what your car IS worth and don't accept his first offer!)

No problems with the servicing, but they did try to do an inspection service instead of the specificied Oil change on my first Fabia (double the money.) But on a plus side they picked up my car from Mid-Cheshire (about 20 miles from there site) to take it for a service and dropped it off later the same day.

• 3 weeks later...

I took my fabia for its first service to mitchells and thought whilst i was there i would see if they could fit the cd holder ide bought off wardy.

My hopes were dashed when i was told that the bloke with the only set of radio keys was having a day off and if i popped the car in when he was in work,they would fit the cd holder for me then.

One set of radio keys in a skoda main dealers and the mechanic takes them home with him:rofl:

I ordered an Octavia vRS from Mitchells last week. I had read most of the above posts before I went down and I was actually quite keen to meet Fred, he did sound interesting at least. Sadly, he is not very well at the moment, but I hope he feels better soon.

As this was the first time I had bought a car new and given my history of 'bartering' with second hand auto dealers (I normally get a reasonable deal but find the whole experience a bit of a battle, taking any joy away from the purchase, often leaving with the feeling I missed something) I was a bit nervous.

I really wanted to have a positive experience with this car especially as I am a new Dad!

I did alot of research regarding prices and options before going down and had a figure in my head for what I wanted to pay and what I wanted for my part ex.

I must say that my wife and young son were treated brilliantly by all the staff who were couteous and extreamly helpful. I was given plenty of time to think about things and was made to feel at ease. In the end I was given a deal that I was very happy with. It was competitive and in some ways a little better than expected, given the prices I had been quoted form various internet dealers.

The whole experience was great and made buying the car (which let's face it is a very big decision) a pleasure. This was wholly due to the attitude and professionalism of Zdenka, who has an excellent understanding of customer needs. I can't speak highly enough of her, and on reflection, it is a pity that all car sales people do not share her product knowledge or people skills. Zdenka was great during negotiations, the test drive and then sorting out the details later on.

Now don't get me wrong, I am the first person to make a fuss and complain and am well capable of 'playing hardball' or walking away from a deal, however I have to be fair and say that I have been delighted with Mitchells......so far.

Marwood :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mitchell Skoda tried to get me to have 2 new discs and 4 new pads fitted when only 2 new discs were needed. Took my Fabia VRS to a local garage instead and they fixed the problem at almost a third of the Mitchell Skoda quote. Mitchell Skoda also charged me £25 for simply looking at the car after I said I didnt want the work doin! The car is still under warrenty! Even if they do give you free coffee I will never go back to Mitchell Skoda again. Total rip.

• 4 months later...

just like to say thanks ...got my new fabia 3 1.4tdi in black.. picked it up yesterday and would recommend this dealership , everything was spot on no problems and looking forward to keeping in touch ... get a free car wash on saturdays so will pop in for coffee and donuts !!! THANKS AGAIN HOLLY

• 6 months later...

Just to say how pleased I was with Mitchells / Skoda Assistance after I made the BIG mistake of putting petrol into a diesel - and I brimmed it from near empty.....

:(

I was expecting lots of hassle trying to get back on the road but even though they were stacked with prepping new registrations for the following day they got me back up and running for a lot less than I was fearing.

Mind you I had to borrow a Roomster :P

So cheers Dave, Tom and the team :thumbup: And cheers Skoda Assitance and Sunita especially for getting the car home from a dark and miserable Glossop and then back to dealer.

We've got 2 cars from them now and couldn't be happier.

ok, been 2 weks since i got my lil furby from mitchells an wel i cudnt b happier with the car an service i got. ok walked in young lad, obv what some sales ppl wud think but was greeted with a big smile by Holly an i have to say she is the most helpful, friendly an polite sales person i have met.was very informative about the car an had a great answer to eaxh one of the questions i had about the lil furby.A great refreshing change form the usual sales people i have come across.

Love my lil car an the service i was given by Holly was a simple case of A* throught the whole process.even when picking it up

thanks to all at mitchells too.will deff be recomending to other ppl, already have to the boss!

big thanks!!

dave

• 8 months later...